overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Hof Ten Dormaal
Style: Sour/Wild Ale
Tildonk, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 50   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.76   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%

berntholer's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
berntholer (943) - Antwerp, - JUN 29, 2014
quite dense and stable ivorywhite head leaves structured lacing. orangeblond colour aroma is stable, goat, honey, lemongrass, liquorice (zoethout), bit smokey, leather, bretty. taste like aroma, balsamico, glue, solvent aftertaste bit wry. medium body and rather carbonated. bit strange at the beginning, but i liked it more with every sip. bottle 37,5 cl

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
olsvammel (3278) - Örebro, SWEDEN - OCT 7, 2014
Sample at SBWF 2014. Smoky and fruity smell. Similar taste. High carbonation. I’ve never had a smoky sour beer before.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
zvikar (3492) - Ramat Gan, ISRAEL - SEP 26, 2014
Bottle sample at a Sour Tasting at Beer and Beyond shop 22-June 2014. Thanks beerandbeyond. Pours hazy like fruit juice with a medium head, aroma of smoke, peat, sourness and fruitiness, flavor is slightly sour and peaty with wood and vinegar, medium bodied.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jfb (3968) - Freising, GERMANY - SEP 24, 2014
(bottle) hazy pale golden colour with a frothy white head. aroma of lemons and brown sugar, with a hint of bretty funk, some green tea, ash and light smoke. flavour is heavy peat smoke, with lots of earth, some leather, a hint of alcohol and a lactic-tart finish. medium- to heavy-bodied with average carbonation.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
DutchDrebus (4142) - Oirschot, NETHERLANDS - SEP 19, 2014
UPDATED: SEP 20, 2014 Why this beer sucks - By DutchDrebus.

I tried to open this one. I was thirsty, it’s a Friday night... Why not? As soon as my thumb and index finger touched the cork cage thing, the fucker snapped (pic: http://i.imgur.com/91Gr4rZ.jpg). An action that shouldn’t last more than 7 seconds just turned into a decent quest. I had to find something to actually open the beer. After looking around I finally found some nice and sturdy looking pincers to free the beer from its cage. I don’t have something like that laying around. I had to go to my fishing gear to find one. Maybe I could have bitten through the iron but I don’t want to lose any teeth over a bottle of Hof ten Subpar beer.

I started twisting the iron remains in the hope to stop the cage from strangling itself. It had a good grip, but a thirsty me has an even better grip. It wasn’t extremely hard (having the right tools ofc) but it wasn’t exactly easy either. Finally, after fumbling around trying to find the right position for a small minute, I found myself nearing the end of my quest. Just one last twist and... BOOM BITCH YOU DONE NOW. The cork was so excited to finally be released from its cage it decided to attack my ceiling and within fractions of a second the cork exploded against my ceiling like a BUK anti-air missile hitting a civilian airplane. I’m glad I don’t live in an American style house made of cardboard or whatever you guys use, because it would’ve destroyed it. It hit harder than James Deen hit Alina Li in the wonderful blockbuster ’Ultimate Fuck Toy: Alina Li’. If I had been starting at the bottle directly I would’ve lost an eye.

The cork somehow activated some kind of afterburner and soon beer was being sprayed all over my floor. It wasn’t as extreme as the one time me and Benzai opened an Alvinne Gaspar, but it came pretty close.

Now my keyboard is kinda sticky, my room smelly (but I can’t blame the beer for that if I’m honest), my floor is wet, the cork is M.I.A., I’m scared and my glass is filled with hazy yellow stuff that smells like a pig just puked over a bunch of peat. The pig probably just drunk a Tripel Karmeliet before puking since there’s way too much carbo in his puke.

I don’t like this beer and after yet another traumatic experience I don’t like Hof Ten Dormaal either. The only way they can make it up to me is by making a more than decent double IPA with cedar wood. But we all know that’s not going to happen because they’re to busy aging mediocre beer. Maybe it’s the dissappointment speaking, maybe it’s the lack of nicotine, idk, but fuck this.

Now if you guys excuse me I’m going to look for the remains of the cork and it’s cage. If the Russian separists allow me on the crash site that is.

Edit: I feel like I haven’t offended enough people yet, so I want to add that this beer probably has more yeast infections than Miley Cyrus *drops mic, walks away*

Edit: I might have overreacted a bit about Hof ten Dormaal, but the beer certainly was horrible.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
JorisPPattyn (7971) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - SEP 7, 2014
Cork removes itself from the bottle, resulting in a tower of snowwhite head, consistency of whipped eggwhite. Very lively carbonated yellow to orange beer. Unpleasant medicinal nose, mixed with rubber and tar and - if fleetingly - solvent. Gradually the peated tar takes over, fully phenolic, and in no way as refined as an Islay malt. Tar, tarred wood and lemon. Like a lemonsquash sucked from a tarred wooden seaside breaker. Again phenolic and medicinal (the last mainly retronasal). Lemonjuice, lemonpeel . And overcarbonated to boot. Very attenuated, light, fizzy. Taste lab No 3152666000788, sample to be destroyed.

1.3
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
Smalle (142) - Leuven, BELGIUM - SEP 7, 2014
Aroma: smokey and peaty, barnyard. If you’ve ever been to an Islay distillery: this is the smell coming out of the washbacks. With time some vomit-like sourness coming through. The taste is tart, sour, lemon, peaty. Doesn’t work together at all. For once, the official marketing blurb is pretty accurate. The brewery website says: "We call this ’war in a glass’ as since the taste reminds u (sic) of all the bad things in a war (...) When u taste this beer u find yourself in the middle of the chaos and misery which scoured the land 100 years ago in Europe." Bad and miserable it is indeed...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
anders37 (16909) - Malmö, SWEDEN - SEP 7, 2014
Bottle @ RBESG Grand Tasting. Pours a hazy yellow color with a small longlasting white head. Has a fruity sour tart aroma. Fruity sour tart flavor. Has a fruity sour tart smoky finish.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 1/20
mikske79 (1246) - Puerto Plata, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - SEP 6, 2014
Wauw dees smaak al enorm slecht maar daarenboven ruikt hij ook nog eens enorm slecht. Dit is om over te geven

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
rlgk (11026) - Göteborg/Jönköping, SWEDEN - SEP 4, 2014
RBESG 2014 in London, grand tasting. Hazy golden with a rich head. Leather aroma, grass, barnyard yeasty notes. Flavor is same as the aroma, Strange and a bit harsh.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
DutchMark (170) - NETHERLANDS - AUG 31, 2014
Well....it is not like anything I tried before and I will not try this one again. After removing the wire the cork jumped out and about one third of the beer gushed out. Smokiness is always tricky and this time it does not work for me. Flavor is of wood, smoke and some wild yeast funkiness. That combined with the vinous sourness is just not pleasant. When drinking it is harsh almost burning in my throat. If you are really into smoked beers it might be interesting.