overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 950   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Formerly known as Hofbräu Münchner Kindl Hefe Weizen.

The origin of München Münchener Kindl Hefe Weizen dates back to 1589 and since then the Weise" has a distinctive place in the history of Hofbräu München, München Münchener Kindl Hefe Weizen is characterized by its sparkling, by its rich foam, and naturally by its unforgettable refreshing taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JMerritt (1915) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - DEC 12, 2005
On tap at Essen-Haus in Wisconsin Dells. A fairly standard hefe: hazy yellow with a big, fluffy white head. Aroma has the yeasty banana and clove notes, there seems to be more clove characteristics in this than in some of the other hefes I’ve had recently. A lot of wheaty, rye notes in the flavor as well. A touch thinner than I like. A very decent hefe, I’m surprised at the rather low scores.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
roder60 (1289) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 10, 2005
Pours a hazy pale yellow with lots of rising bubles and a nice amount of frothy white head. Aroma is sweet, banana, and slight citrus. Flavor is very bananay slight lemon undertone and wheaty. Overall, a so so brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - DEC 4, 2005
Hazy pale yellow with a solid white head. Tart, yeasty, spicy, phenolic aroma. Rather thin in body. A bit sweet with some light caramel, banana and citrus. Tart finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - DEC 3, 2005
16.9 oz. brown bottle. Pours a deep cloudy orange with a whipped mirungue-like head. Aroma is all citrus and cloves with a hint of vanilla. The body is ligth yet mouth-filling due to the CO2. Flavors are abundantly clove-likle with a sweet citrus tank. Sherbet-like. The only thing missing is the banana. I’m just a snob for the Weihenstephan yeast. If a hefe brewery doesn’t use it their product will be, without a doubt, inferior to the original.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
cvillebeer (134) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - NOV 23, 2005
500ml Brown Bottle: Pours a hazy yellow with a huge, rocky head that lasts... Aromas of fruit- typical weizen aromas, if a bit subdued. The flavor is mild, with the typical flavors of the style. Not bad... having said that I think this is very underrated, and while not the best I’m not sure why it is so poorly rated.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5965) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 4, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 28, 2006 I love hefeweizens but this beer is crap. Proof positive that the Germans are just as capable of brewing crap as any other nation. Sampled from a 12 oz green bottle this beer poured a hazy caramel color with a huge white head. The aroma is sour tangy macro malts. The flavor is moderately bready and wheaty with a sour macro tang towards the finish. Totally unimpressive.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dwyerpg (5087) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - SEP 29, 2005
Other than not smelling good, this is a top notch German hefe. Good layering and smooth wheat taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 29, 2005
soft frothy white head that doesnt stay very long. Hazy gold in color. Tastes a little bland, just to plain. It’s nothing at all what I expected, im a little dissapointed, after having this on tap at the Haufbrahaus in Newport(which by the way was one of the best german beers ive ever had). I cant really judge it on style, I just havent had enough of them. It smells great, strong wheaty smell, some banana scents also. Very light and creamy palate.Overall...just average german.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BigNasty (55) - South Lyon, Michigan, USA - SEP 16, 2005
Personally, I refuse to rate beers on how close they come to an expected style (I’ll never be a BJCP judge), so I’m compelled to rate this just as a great beer, rather than how great a hefe it is. I was initially concerned about the green bottle, but based on the lack of oxidation flavors, my bottle seems to have been handled properly. The inviting aroma had light hints of the usual banana/clove esters, which translated well into the light flavors of the same, along with a nice, smooth mouthfeel. Both my wife and I enjoyed this beer immensely and I wish that I could get it for less than $3 a bottle, and closer than an hour’s drive away.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DarkElf (3050) - La Jolla, California, USA - SEP 13, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2005 (500 ml bottle: $1.99 at BevMo in La Jolla, CA) So far, it’s the only German Hefeweizen I’ve seen in a green 12-ounce bottle, and that had me worried, but I also just found a brown 500 ml bottle, so I’ll try both but rate the 500 ml bottle. The nose is wheaty, but is also a bit grassy, which isn’t what I expect from this style. Alongside the grassiness is a modest banana aroma if I swirl the glass with mild intensity. Wheat and sweet banana are the most prevalent flavors, though neither are present in abundant amounts in this mildly flavorful brew. Slight amount of clove surfaces from time to time. Medium bodied, barely, and lacking sufficient complexity to make for an interesting palate. Cloudy, medium golden colored body has an off-white crown that pours to about a finger in height before settling out to about a quarter of an inch. It’s an okay Hefeweizen, but just not flavorful enough to be more than a mere pretender, and not a beer I’d buy again. Oh, and just for the record, the larger brown bottle was much better as the green bottle showed a fair amount of sourness.