Hofbrauhaus Newport Hefe Weizen
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 43   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Back in 1602 Weissbier could only be brewed by ducal privilege. It was Munichís first Hefe Weizen. Hofbršuhaus enjoyed this exclusive right for nearly 200 years, thus holding a monopoly on Weissbier in Bavaria.

But even without a monopoly, Hofbršu Hefe Weizen is a really special kind of beer. Characterized by its sparkling rich foam and distinguished by its unforgettable refreshing and fruity taste. It is brewed according to an ancient tradition and offers an alcoholic content of approximately 5.1% by volume. Savor the pure, refreshing enjoyment! FOR OVER 400 YEARS A CLASSIC FAVORITE! Type: Top-fermented Wheat Beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
clingman71 (297) - Centerville, Ohio, USA - NOV 11, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2007 Draft. I donít understand the low ratings for this beer. This is as solid a Weizen as I have had. Cloudy hazy appearance with a wispy white head. Aroma of wheat and yeast with a little fruitiness. Flavors or banana, clove, and spiciness. Isnít this what a German Wheat is all about? VERY SOLID INDEED!!!!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
tomhenderson (166) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - OCT 17, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2007 On tap at Hofbrauhaus in Newport. Yellow gold, almost like orange juice in color. Very yeasty in aroma, to the point I wondered if it had finished fermenting. Overall, an okay beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
nihar (68) - Ohio, USA - SEP 3, 2007
Nice fruity aroma of bananas.. pours clear yellow with a light head... tastes of bananas and cloves ... slightly watery finish

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crafty07 (404) - Florence, Kentucky, USA - SEP 3, 2007
I love German Hefeís. And while I havenít yet learned to drink any beer by the liter. I could easy down several ímasí of these every time I go to the brewpub. If you find yourself at this wonderful little brewpub and you dontí try their weizen, you are missing out!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
shigadeyo (2962) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - MAR 6, 2007
3/06/2007 at Hofbrauhaus Newport... Golden orange color, cloudy. Lasting, foamy, large off-white head. Aroma of banana and clove. Flavors of wheat malt, banana, and subtle clove. Nicely balanced between the malt, esters, and spice. Medium-full body with a bit of heft to the smooth and creamy mouthfeel. A really good hefe, but maybe a bit too restrained (but well balanced overall). Well-rounded beer; very nicely crafted. This is my favorite of the Hofbrauhaus Newport beers that Iíve had so far... 0.5 L draught.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JAN 3, 2007
Pours golden and hazy with a mostly receding white head. Aroma of sweet banana, and spicy yeast. Taste is lightly sweet, banana, but the esters are restrained and balanced by the wheat and a bit of clove. Mouthfeel is medium with lively carbonation. Good, but a bit grainy and wheaty, and not enough esters.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Draft at the brewhaus. Pours a nice cloudy golden orange with a pillowy white head. Nice banana clove esters in the aroma. Nice mouthfeel for a hefe. Flavor of wheat malt, yeast, and a mild notes of clove. Nice clean zesty finish. Very solid, best beer of the night. To make this great in my book, it just needs a little more boldness in the flavor and finish, and a bit more sweetness. Just a personal though. I would have no problem drinking this again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
3fourths (7797) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - AUG 21, 2006
Draught at the brewery. Has a proper hefeweizen appearance: soft and cloudy yellow colored body with a tall white head. Sour esters in the nose, with some celery and lactic notes. Funky sour cheese and banana flavors abound in this hefeweizen, and it actually tastes a little strange compared to style definitions. Not the classic German hefeweizen, but still tasty and certainly drinkable. Funky is a good word for this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3046) - Tennessee, USA - AUG 20, 2006
Properly cloudy with a tall dense white head. The nose is vibrantly full of clove at first then smooth banana. Just the right amount of malt sweetness before a tasty wheat tang in the finish. Full bodied and filling. One of the better Hefes Iíve had recently.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kevin (2037) - Colorado, USA - JUN 20, 2006
Tap. Clouded yellow with a thick lasting head. Uh-oh, Iíve been spotted, some guy just came over to the bar and introduced himself, he saw my gabf shirt and my fat ass sitting here reading a book and scribbling notes, and thought I was a brewer, I told him, no just a beer geek, I think he put it all together, that I was taking notes on the beer, not the book (I was doing both, Michael Marshall Smith writes some great lines that I do note down in the other section of my notebook) he tries to lead me toward the darker beers, saying the dunkel, which I just had is the best, Iím disagreeing, this right here is just what I need after a few hours in the sun. I should have written his name down, damnnit! Aroma of burnt matches and warm lemon juice that made my mouth water a bit. Wow, this is exactly what I needed to quench that rawness in me for a bit. Nice wheat flavor that is sweet and satisfying. Light banana bread flavor is great. Slick clean finish that left sweet banana behind and an assload of clove. Ap-4 ar-8 tas-7 pal-5 ov-17