Hofbrauhaus Newport Hefe Weizen
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 44   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Back in 1602 Weissbier could only be brewed by ducal privilege. It was Munich’s first Hefe Weizen. Hofbräuhaus enjoyed this exclusive right for nearly 200 years, thus holding a monopoly on Weissbier in Bavaria.

But even without a monopoly, Hofbräu Hefe Weizen is a really special kind of beer. Characterized by its sparkling rich foam and distinguished by its unforgettable refreshing and fruity taste. It is brewed according to an ancient tradition and offers an alcoholic content of approximately 5.1% by volume. Savor the pure, refreshing enjoyment! FOR OVER 400 YEARS A CLASSIC FAVORITE! Type: Top-fermented Wheat Beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kevin (2048) - New Mexico, USA - JUN 20, 2006
Tap. Clouded yellow with a thick lasting head. Uh-oh, I’ve been spotted, some guy just came over to the bar and introduced himself, he saw my gabf shirt and my fat ass sitting here reading a book and scribbling notes, and thought I was a brewer, I told him, no just a beer geek, I think he put it all together, that I was taking notes on the beer, not the book (I was doing both, Michael Marshall Smith writes some great lines that I do note down in the other section of my notebook) he tries to lead me toward the darker beers, saying the dunkel, which I just had is the best, I’m disagreeing, this right here is just what I need after a few hours in the sun. I should have written his name down, damnnit! Aroma of burnt matches and warm lemon juice that made my mouth water a bit. Wow, this is exactly what I needed to quench that rawness in me for a bit. Nice wheat flavor that is sweet and satisfying. Light banana bread flavor is great. Slick clean finish that left sweet banana behind and an assload of clove. Ap-4 ar-8 tas-7 pal-5 ov-17

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
aracauna (3036) - Georgia, USA - JUN 13, 2006
This pours a hazy yellow with a good white head. Good sweet banana esters fill up the aroma. Wheat is a little light. Body and flavor could use a little ramping up.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
wxman (1389) - O’Fallon, Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2005
I won’t bore you with the usual descriptions of flavor, appearance, and nuance this go around. Suffice to say that this is a quality south German Weizen not unlike what we import in bottles and drink with regularity in the US. It has the expected balance between yeast and spice that we expect. The difference here is, it is fresh at the brewery in Newport. Brewed the same as the facility in Munchen. An excellent representation of the style, and as good or better than most American offerings. In the summer I could have drank three liters! Very refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pivo (2542) - GERMANY - NOV 16, 2005
Hey, am I in Bavaria? Nice hefeweizen nose, hazy pale orange color, big head. Right banana wheat taste, clovey and spicy end. Full body, rich and classy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 17, 2005
I was really impressed by this wheat style german brew. smelled strong of florals, and citrusy. It had a very orange, citrus color too. I’m not dissapointed in the taste at all. Not to much wheat in the taste. Mostly sweet and simple, but not overpowering with sweetness. Medium-bodied. I loved this beer. The best german wheat i’ve had yet. I would definitely recommend to others.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUL 15, 2005
On tap in newport: Hazy yellow color with a medium white head. Light spice and yeast aroma. Flavor is light citrus with a good dose fo clove. Smooth and clean with just a hint of banana in the finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
barenada (211) - Georgetown, Indiana, USA - JUL 2, 2005
(draft) There aren’t many hefeweizens that I can say I actually liked. This one I liked. Sweet and fruity, with none of the citrus that usually ruins this style for me. Yummy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Maddog (381) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - JUN 12, 2005
I’ve had plenty 1 liter mugs of this cloudy beauty. A true session beer at 5.4 percent, the flavor is wonderful. Hints of banana and the wanginess that I love in a good German style wheat.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Tmoney99 (10414) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 20, 2005
Tap at Newport. Cloudy amber color with medium white head. Aroma and flavor was sweet wheat with strong banana finish. Drinkable brew for midwest tate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BennyTicklez (621) - USA - SEP 5, 2004
Pouris hazy yellow/gold with not much of a head. Aroma is cloves with a little citrus, and the taste is the same. Not overwhelming like some german hefes. Very drinkable.