Hofbrauhaus Newport Hefe Weizen
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 46   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Back in 1602 Weissbier could only be brewed by ducal privilege. It was Munich’s first Hefe Weizen. Hofbräuhaus enjoyed this exclusive right for nearly 200 years, thus holding a monopoly on Weissbier in Bavaria.

But even without a monopoly, Hofbräu Hefe Weizen is a really special kind of beer. Characterized by its sparkling rich foam and distinguished by its unforgettable refreshing and fruity taste. It is brewed according to an ancient tradition and offers an alcoholic content of approximately 5.1% by volume. Savor the pure, refreshing enjoyment! FOR OVER 400 YEARS A CLASSIC FAVORITE! Type: Top-fermented Wheat Beer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NeoHippie2 (1074) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - OCT 23, 2013
Super hazy golden/orange pour with a white head. Big aromas of banana and clove. Taste is big wheat character with lots of banana and clove coming through nicely. This was an absolutely delicious brew. Great example of what a good hefe should be!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crafty07 (404) - Florence, Kentucky, USA - SEP 3, 2007
I love German Hefe’s. And while I haven’t yet learned to drink any beer by the liter. I could easy down several ’mas’ of these every time I go to the brewpub. If you find yourself at this wonderful little brewpub and you dont’ try their weizen, you are missing out!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
37steel (186) - St. Charles, Illinois, USA - MAR 3, 2008
On draft at Hofbrauhaus Newport. Hazy golden with a big white head. Big yeasty aroma. Great wheat spiciness with bananas and cloves in the flavor. Extremely drinkable. Very good german hefe.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 17, 2005
I was really impressed by this wheat style german brew. smelled strong of florals, and citrusy. It had a very orange, citrus color too. I’m not dissapointed in the taste at all. Not to much wheat in the taste. Mostly sweet and simple, but not overpowering with sweetness. Medium-bodied. I loved this beer. The best german wheat i’ve had yet. I would definitely recommend to others.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kevin (2103) - New Mexico, USA - JUN 20, 2006
Tap. Clouded yellow with a thick lasting head. Uh-oh, I’ve been spotted, some guy just came over to the bar and introduced himself, he saw my gabf shirt and my fat ass sitting here reading a book and scribbling notes, and thought I was a brewer, I told him, no just a beer geek, I think he put it all together, that I was taking notes on the beer, not the book (I was doing both, Michael Marshall Smith writes some great lines that I do note down in the other section of my notebook) he tries to lead me toward the darker beers, saying the dunkel, which I just had is the best, I’m disagreeing, this right here is just what I need after a few hours in the sun. I should have written his name down, damnnit! Aroma of burnt matches and warm lemon juice that made my mouth water a bit. Wow, this is exactly what I needed to quench that rawness in me for a bit. Nice wheat flavor that is sweet and satisfying. Light banana bread flavor is great. Slick clean finish that left sweet banana behind and an assload of clove. Ap-4 ar-8 tas-7 pal-5 ov-17

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Maddog (403) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - JUN 12, 2005
I’ve had plenty 1 liter mugs of this cloudy beauty. A true session beer at 5.4 percent, the flavor is wonderful. Hints of banana and the wanginess that I love in a good German style wheat.

shrubber85 (7974) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - MAR 30, 2014
Draft. Orange, banana, clove, and wheat malt aroma. Murky golden yellow with small head. Sweet orange-banana, clove, and wheat malt flavor. Nice body. A very nice beer - happy to have a solid Hefeweizen I can get anytime I’m having withdrawals.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Patrickctenchi (4115) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - APR 1, 2014
Draft: Cloudy yellow with a short white head. Banana, clove, yeast, wheat aroma. Taste is tangy, crisp, orange-banana, wheat. Nice, not overdone...good solid combination of scent and flavor. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
clingman71 (297) - Centerville, Ohio, USA - NOV 11, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2007 Draft. I don’t understand the low ratings for this beer. This is as solid a Weizen as I have had. Cloudy hazy appearance with a wispy white head. Aroma of wheat and yeast with a little fruitiness. Flavors or banana, clove, and spiciness. Isn’t this what a German Wheat is all about? VERY SOLID INDEED!!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3170) - Tennessee, USA - AUG 20, 2006
Properly cloudy with a tall dense white head. The nose is vibrantly full of clove at first then smooth banana. Just the right amount of malt sweetness before a tasty wheat tang in the finish. Full bodied and filling. One of the better Hefes I’ve had recently.