overall
Brewed by Brauerei Hofstetten - Krammer
Style: Zwickel/Keller/Landbier
St. Martin, Austria

RATINGS: 55   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Dieses unfiltrierte, naturtrübe Pilsbier ist das wohl bekannteste Bier der Brauerei Hofstetten. Süffig und untergärig war dieses Vollbier schon vor 500 Jahren ein Geheimtipp der Mühlviertler Brauer, die sich zur Jause einen Kübel direkt vom Fass zapften. Da Hefe und Eiweiß - Eiweiß einer der Hauptgeschmacksträger jeden Bieres - nicht ausfiltriert werden, behält das Kübelbier seine natürliche Trübung und seinen harmonischen und runden Geschmack. Auch der mühlviertler Hopfen kommt in diesem Bier voll zur Geltung, da bei der Filtration normalerweise Hopfenaromastoffe verloren gehen, die in diesem Fall dem Bier eine kräftige aber angenehme Hopfennote verleiht.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
simonblaine (286) - Alberta, CANADA - JAN 18, 2013
Pours cloudyish yellow, descent head. More hoppy than I expected. Hint of citrous, just delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sebilinz (476) - Linz, AUSTRIA - SEP 27, 2013
Bottle golden body nice not very long lasting white head nice malty Aroma with hints of bisquit and apricot taste is malt with a hint of hops nice malty aftertaste with some bitterness very nice

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hawksfan17 (890) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 3, 2011
Sour and grains in the aroma. Also sweet fruit notes. Hazy orange amber with white top. Smooth, sticky, clean flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
nate2g (1548) - Boomtown! / Waikato, NEW ZEALAND - APR 24, 2010
Draught at Kanguruh, Vienna. Golden with a lively white head. Fresh aroma of citrus, malt and herbal notes. The flavour is malt, caramel, citrus and herbal/spicy hops. Tastes great and extremely easy to drink. Excellent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
robforbes (2072) - Bremerton, Washington, USA - JUN 20, 2010
pours a cloudy orange with a small egg-shell head, plenty of sediment, and good lacing. smell is of malt, some citrus, and a touch of caramel. taste is creamy, malt, some toffee, and hops hiding in the back, ends slightly oily, and nicely bitter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
rozsoma (468) - HUNGARY - OCT 3, 2010
Smooth, dry hoppyness. Nice pale yellow. Soft carbonation. Good one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
thewolf (11158) - Kolding, DENMARK - JUL 22, 2012
Bottle, bought @ Kolding Vinhandel.
Pours murky yellow with a firm, staying, creamy, white head. Fine duration. Aroma is sweet malts, citrussy hoppy, grass, slight sugar. Medium carbonation, fine dry and light grainy mouthfeel. Flavour has fine maltiness, citrussy hops, fairly bitter. Some grassy notes. Lovely beer. Lingering bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Benzai (8127) - Oirschot, THE NETHERLANDS, NETHERLANDS - SEP 20, 2012
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2012 Bottle thanks to Joes. Hazy yellow color, small white to off-white head. Smell malts, a hint of citrus, something else as well but I don’t know what. Taste malts, lightly hoppy, lightly bitter. Very pleasant to drink. Medium carbo, medium body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mross (169) - Vienna, AUSTRIA - APR 15, 2010
Draught at Känguruh. Hazy golden colur with a decent stable white head. Fresh malt, citrus and herbal aroma. Light malty, yeasty and fruity flavour with a slight herbal hop finish. Despite being thin bodied and not too complex, this isn’t bad. An easy to drink and quite enjoyable zwickl.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DuffMan (6668) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 14, 2012
Bottle, Dec 14th Beer Advent Calendar. Hazy medium gold with a decent white head that collapses and forms-- I shit you not-- crop circle patterns on the surface. Maybe it helps that I’m drinking this from my wide-mouthed Corsendonk glass (which reminds me, have you heard that joke about the wide-mouthed frog? great kids joke). Okay so let’s smell this lil’ fellah.... equally grainy and fruity, pineapple again, but nicer than the tinny old shitty canned pineapple that I smelled in yesterday’s advent offering. This smells fresh, and I like that. Tastes fresh too. Grainy with sweet fruit, but light as air, and with a dry finish that really seals the deal for me. Yes, this is good. It walks a fine line, and could easily be corny and tinny, but it isn’t. It’s clean, grainy and sweet, with a dry finish that is lightly bitter. Okay, I’m more than halfway done now and I still really like it, but it’s simplicity is making me focus on why I like it. The mouthfeel is soft, not sharp, or crisp, and the finish is ultra clean. This is tasting more like an unfiltered Berlin pilsener to me. NOW I understand why this is making me happy-- it’s nostalgic. I’m definitely a statistical outlier here. I’ve got only a few sips left and I’ve gone from liking this little beer to kind of loving it. If I could find a lager like this here at home, I would have it in my fridge at all times.