Holy City Pecan Dream
     click to upload

RATINGS: 7   MEAN: 3.42/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
We don’t blame you if you don’t believe us, but this beer was born in a dream. Sean arrived at the brewery one day, having woken from a dream where we brewed two beers. One was made with boiled peanuts, and the other with pecans. For logistical reasons, among others, we decided we had to make with ones with pecans. After sourcing 150 lbs of them, we split them up amongst ourselves, roasting every last nut in our respective home ovens. 5 pounds of those home-roasted pecans were added per barrel of this American brown ale, imparting a great nutty nose that presents itself more as the beer warms up.

IBUs: 25
Notable hops: Northern Brewer
Notable malts: Pale, Crystal 20, Crystal 60, Roast

BeerZack's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerZack (288) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 13, 2013
Dark brown ale with light head that rises when swirled. Smells of nuts, toffee and chocolate malt balls. Taste is maybe not quite as complex, but still good. Lots of nutty and almost butter pecan syrup notes in the flavor. The finish is just a little boring. Its not quite sticky and its not quite dry, but there is no real lingering flavor besides an impression of sweetness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
icehawk (834) - Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, USA - NOV 12, 2013
On draft @ HC. Dark brown with slight head. Very slight nutty aroma. Medium body, a bit chewy. Overall, a surprisingly heavy beer. Subtle earthy, nut finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
bu11zeye (11971) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - JUN 21, 2013
(Draught) Pours a murky copper-brown body with a medium beige head. Aroma of caramel, honey, pecan, and roasted grain. Flavor of pecan, caramel, grain, and some butter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SpringsLicker (3156) - Tennessee, USA - SEP 17, 2012
Brewgrass 2012 Dark brown pour with a white head. Nutty sweet malt aroma. The flavor follows the aroma with a nutty sweet flavor that finishes with a bit off dryness. Smooth easy drinking.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TwinH (1) - South Carolina, USA - NOV 26, 2011 does not count
My #2 favorite brown ale, just behind Rogue Hazlenut Nectar. I just finished off my second growler of this fine brew; the best brew I’ve had from Holy City yet. Highly recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
LakeHigh (31) - Charleston, South Carolina, USA - OCT 18, 2011
I had a slow start with this new local brewery. The pilsner needed to age, the porter was good but not great, but pecan dream is phenominal. It is a brown ale which is hard to see through even in my yard glass. It has a medium light yellowish head which has dried to nice lacing on the horn. Therse guys told me they used 80 Lb. of pecans in the wort. The deep complex slightly bitter, slightly buttery pecan flavor has had me craving one all day. The finish is just a tad sweet, and the hops are understated, as they should be in a brown ale. I think they got this one just right. This is the highest score i have givven a beer as of yet, and I may have scored it to low. If you find yourself in the charleston area, you must seek this one out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Lubiere (10139) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 9, 2011
A brown ale with a thin off white head. In aroma, smooth caramel pecan, lightly buttery. In mouth, a smooth nutty malt with pecan, butter, oily mouthfeel, not bad. On tap at EVO, Feb. 26 2011.