Hop Federation Double IPA

click to upload

Brewed by Hop Federation Brewery
Style: Imperial/Double IPA
Riwaka, New Zealand

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.95/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.04   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beer-yum (602) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JUN 11, 2014
A delicious double that makes a nice step up from their equally excellent Red IPA. Yet another antipodean brewer that is spoiling the local market with excellent choices.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jimthechap (1790) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 28, 2014
Imagine my surprise and delight when I stumbled across this beer, the only one from the range I hadn’t sampled and which I was told by the Hop Federation Brewery that they didn’t have any more of. To boot, it was the last one on the shelf and I swiped it in front of someone else who I am certain was making a bee-line for it. Not today Sonny Jim. This one is mine... all mine. It is a beer that promises much if the others in the range are anything to go by. I recently raved about the Rakau IPA and am base over apex for the Red IPA. Anticipation was running high until I saw that my wife had put it in the fridge for me and I was going to have to wait for it to come to just under room temperature... making anticipation run even higher. It appears slightly hazy and resinous amber with just a patchwork of creamy white head left after there was a good finger of it following pouring. The aroma was of satisfying resinous American hoppiness: amber malts, spruce cones and stewed orchard fruit. It sat firmly within style guidelines and reflected this in the flavour. The body was slightly sweet, excellent, weighty bitterness and somewhat viscous. Those stewed apricot, peach and nectarine flavours return with the afore-mentioned resinous quality. This guarantees a long finish. A real treat this beer and not a sip was wasted.