overall

RATINGS: 54   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.63   IBU: 52   EST. CALORIES: 213   ABV: 7.1%
The Hopothesis IPA is the first of many cerebral drinking experiences. Our India Pale Ale is specifically formulated to be balanced, flavorful, and approachable. It can be easily paired with a variety of food and you can drink more than one and still feel quite lucid. Enjoy. Centennial & Cascade Hops 2-Row & Vienna Malts

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheAlum (5721) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - AUG 19, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2012 Draft on tap at the Oak Park Microbrew Review (Chicago, IL). Pours a richer deep copper hue, some glowing golden edges. Just a kiss of haze, vibrant glow. Cakey tannish head is big, laces well, and sticks around big. Aromas are more earthy bitterness, florals and gentle citrus. Biscuity and a touch toasty, some dry toast, bready malts. Initial is a bit oniony, with some grass and florals. Some dryness, bit toasty and bready, some touches of biscuit, some mellow sweetness, dryness comes back, a bit toasty, earthy hops and a bit off. Dryness. A solid beer, a bit big, a bit forgettable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
emichaelis23 (8) - Geneva, Illinois, USA - AUG 15, 2012 does not count
Hopothesis, I expected a lot out of you and all I was left with was a dry mouth and a the question of "whereís the hops". I generally donít care for malty IPAís but all and all this beer isnít bad tasting. I would say give it a try, but donít commit to a full six pack at first.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
BBB63 (6051) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 2, 2012
Debut Tap @ The Beer Bistro on IPA Day and served in tulip sporting the company logo: Amber hued with a fading frothy head but very good lace. The aroma has dusty yeast esters, grassy and herbal mild hop vapours, caramelized and bready malts, and slight clove. I found the nose a tad weak. The taste is twangy and slight peppery but not all the bitter, smooth and a bit malt forward. Very English on the palate but still too heavy to be viewed as an English styled IPA... more akin to a hoppy amber if you ask me. The mouth feel is lively and quite smooth with a nice light bite on the finish. This is the best part of the beer IMO. This needs to be cleaner profile and using a tad less Vienna malt but I will take a "wait and see" attitude towards this brewer considering it is the 1st batch and give a generous score.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrnkMcDermott (2803) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - AUG 2, 2012
Debut tapping at The Beer Bistro. How cool is it that we beer geeks often have a new beer with its brewmaster at the same table telling us about it! Ike Orcutt of Hopothesis filled me in while I was scribbling about this new brewerís flagship. Itís got an amber gold body that shows off its use of Vienna malts, under a firm one-finger head. Ike said it was intended to be more of an English style IPA, with a bigger malt backbone playing equal parts to the hops and I agree. Still, I canít but notice a definite use of Pacific hops in this glass. Some of that impression comes from this beer being very fresh. But it does have a welcome, malty, hearty mouthfeel for an IPA. Orcutt says their plan is to "gypsy brew" until they can get their own brewing space in the city, probably next year. And just like that, our town has ANOTHER beer-maker!