overall

RATINGS: 934   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.12   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
Made from our award-winning imperial stout, rated one of the top 50 best beers in the world in 2008. This bodacious oatmeal Russian imperial stout will crush you like no other. This is the grand-daddy of all stout styles, with an intensely deep roasted and full bodied flavor. A robust hop character adds a refreshing balance. Aged in Heaven Hill Whiskey barrels.

Batch 1 - Gold Cap - April 2009
Batch 2 - Gold Cap - July 2009
Batch 3 - Green Cap - Oct 2009
Batch 4 - Black Cap - 2010
Batch 5 - Red Cap - 2011

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
FunkyBrewster (1518) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 19, 2009
Thanks a ton to 17thfloor for sharing this big boy! Pours a beautiful opaque black but the head was kind of small, losing a point for it. What was there was a nice dark tan creaminess. Aroma is huge bitter chocolate, vanilla, oak woody, sharp hoppy undertones. A big alcohol presence provides some unpleasant bite on the nose but otherwise the whiskey barrel is nice and bold. Flavor is quite interesting. Big hits of dark fruit and bitter chocolate prevail over the whiskey notes which come through more in the dry finish. Very rich and powerful flavors. While there aren’t as many flavors as might be expected, those that are there are quite aggressive. Full bodied and a soft but rich carbonation. Very different and excellent to sample. Flavors are thick and heavy. I appreciate all of the nuances of flavors that have changed from regular Boris though I feel like some aspects have been sacrificed for oak and wood flavors. 17thfloor has helped note that some citric hop fruitiness is present balancing the bitter chocolate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
17thfloor (2437) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 19, 2009
Ridiculously expensive bottle shared with funkybrewster. Pours a chalky near black with a smaller but fine dense robust brown froth. As I suspected before opening, the generous hops in the regular Boris would probably be a detriment to aging, aroma is cocoa powder and fading piney hops with some toasted coconut and notes of bourbon, vanilla but they are definitely a little bit hidden. Flavor is super rich very dark chocolate, not particularly bitter though, and equally massive bourbon barrel, coconut, vanilla and citrus hops trailing just behind and thats about all that can fight its way to the taste-buds 8.5. The only part of the regular Boris that really makes it through the bourbon barrel aging is the oatmeal. Really nice long bourbon, oatmeal and dark chocolate aftertaste. Of course, much better as it reaches room temp. Body is super viscous and syrupy, not sticky though, I think a dinosaur might have gotten stuck in mine and entered extinction. I think I initial rated this a 4 after a few sips, however, as it warms and as the flavors develop my score has opinion has improved. I suppose the only thing really holding this beer back is the oxidation in the hops...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Fin (8421) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - AUG 16, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2009 Bottle that Miketd very kindly sent my way via Craig, big thanks to the ever generous Mike, cheers my friend. This was consumed in a field at Cropredy Festival 15-08-09 Pours shark eye black, its got long sticky oily legs that cling to the side of the glass, it also has a rich creamy brown head. Aroma is rich sweet, smooth, whisky, oak and dark sticky fruits. The taste is more of the same but with roasty malts and some creamy vanilla, so smooth and loved by all sat around me which was most of our KBO morris team. Great stuff, cheers Mike and also thanks to Craig for bringing it over. A7 A4 F8 P4 Ov16 3.9

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
andersand (529) - Malmö, SWEDEN - AUG 16, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 21, 2009 Pitch black with a small but dense light brown head, looks creamy and inviting. Aroma is vanilla, caramell, molasses and dark chocolate, very deep and complex. Flavour is smooth of chocolate and mild vanilla, caramell and molasses and finishes with a longlasting warming bourbon aftertaste. Sweet, but in a very balanced way. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and creamy fat. Lovely.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RSRIZZO (1900) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - AUG 14, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 10, 2009 22oz bottle courtesy of BeerandBlues2. Color is a deep dark black. Carbonation is mellow producing a thin brown head. Aroma is deep and bold with sweet roasted scents. Its a full bodied brew that goes down with a rich creamy feel. Finish is bold with flavors of cheery, chocolate, a little caramel and just a hint of smoke. After taste has a slightly tart feel with a bit of the whisky showing. This is an amazing brew, I would love to find some more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5591) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 14, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2010 My favorite of the beers at the Pittsburgh Ratebeer gathering. Sampled from a 22 oz brown bottle this beer poured thick, black and oily with a trace of a tan head. The aroma was sweet chocolate syrup with a light floral hop undertone. The flavor was tangy, malty and had strong notes chocolate, floral hops, fruity hops, coffee and cherry. The finish was long, sweet and malty. The mouthfeel was thick and smooth. This beer coated the tongue and would not leave. Wonderful.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
cheap (4624) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 11, 2009
Big thanks goes out to Beerman6686 Dan for this special brew! Had the pleasure of sampling this at the 7/9/2009 Pittsburgh RB tasting extravaganza (PGHRBEXT) at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse. It will be a long time, if ever I see a spread of bottles like I did there. I am not good enough for the beers that were that we served! For example, how about this beer; Oaked Boris, heheheh! Again, I am not qualified to rate such a beer. Typical imp stout olfactory, roasty and volatile and such. Looks dark opaque black with a tan head, I think its staining my glass. Reminds me of old used shovelhead motor oil. Mouth coating terrible bitter taste on old wet damp campfire coals. I think there is a tad of sweetness in there too. What else can be said but horribly on style. Long lasting dreadful cold burned wood alky finish. Wew. Too much for this lager lover. I think I’ll go crawl under a rock after tasting this brew.

Beerman6686 (5383) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 10, 2009
This poured a pitch black color with a tan head. Aroma was silky chocolate, tiny hints of whiskey, and some aroma hops as well. Flavor was smooth chocolate, roasty and a nice bourbon finish right on the tip of the tongue. Pretty good but I prefer regular BORIS more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dogbrick (9611) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 9, 2009
Thanks to JaBier for sharing a bottle. The beer pours a viscous black color with a medium thick light brown head that dissipates slowly. Patchy lacing. Aroma of bourbon, espresso and dark chocolate. Rich and smooth body with flavors of bittersweet chocolate, oaky bourbon and malt. Hints of hops as well. The finish is creamy and simmers with alcohol and chocolate liqueur. I am a fan of the original B.O.R.I.S., and this beer is not really better or worse, it’s just as good but different.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brigadier (3260) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - AUG 9, 2009
22 oz bottle (Batch One)
Now more available than when it first came out I got my hands on a bottle of the second release to do a side by side comparison. That one will be opened soon. To start with I used a bottle of the original release as a benchmark. If the second is anything like Hoppin’ Frog has a nice product on their hands. I actually prefer the regular B.O.R.I.S (which is also cheaper) but in a pinch this would be hard to argue with.

Aroma / Appearance - The sticky oily black body was typical of a high gravity imperial stout. A sheen of clear lacing gave it even more presence. Bitter chocolate, vanilla, espresso, and the whiskey are most obvious though as with many imperial stouts there is more depth. This includes nice hints of anise and raisins. It could be a little richer but there are no major flaws.

Flavor / Palate - Creamy and thick the mouthfeel is packed with flavor. Sticking to the throat are whiskey, rich chocolate, whipping cream, and plums. A vanilla aftertaste is not as strong but still leaves a mark. This would pair well with most desserts - I think I would try a nice cheesecake. The regular B.O.R.I.S is better. This however is no slouch either.