overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 147   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95   IBU: 7   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
The release of our Turbo Shandy Citrus Ale is around mid June. Born from European tradition, our Shandy is a refreshing combination of lemon and light malt flavors. Unlike traditional shandys, Turbo Shandy, revs it up a couple of notches with a high test, full flavored approach as only Hoppin’ Frog can do.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mora2000 (5695) - McKinney, Texas, USA - AUG 16, 2010
Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this bottle. The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The beer smells exactly like lemonade. The taste is identical with a ton of sweet lemons and not too much else. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure how this compares to other shandy’s, but it tastes like lemonade. Since I like lemonade, it gets a good score.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ScottyP (425) - Brentwood, Tennessee, USA - AUG 15, 2010
Pours a light golden with thin white head. Smells like a lemon/lime gatorade to me. Taste of lemon/lime and citrus. Not terribly sweet in the finish actually. Very refreshing, probably couldn’t drink too much of this though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Barrios (1243) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 15, 2010
Pours a lasting ring of off-white head with a pale, yellow body. Smells like Five-Alive. Taste is the same. Lemon, orange, limeade. Awesome and refreshing. Slightly sticky finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
thirdeye11 (5544) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 15, 2010
(22oz bomber thanks to blutt59) clearish yellow with very little head. Nose of lemonade, lemon zest, sugar and fresh citrus. Taste of cane sugar, lemon zest, simple syrup, with soft carbonation and a sweet linger. I think I rated this too hard because it was honestly pretty good for a shandy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Sammer (1036) - Plano, Texas, USA - AUG 15, 2010
Bottle shared by blutt59. Light golden pour with little head. Aroma is sugarless lemonade. Taste is vintage 1980’s wine coolers. Feels like my second trip in a time machine (the first one thanks to Mar). I love Hoppin Frog beers, but this is not their best effort.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
blutt59 (6019) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 15, 2010
bottle, via trade with miketd, light golden yellow color with sour lemon and detergent aroma, flavors is limoncello liquer with some floral notes

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nellie (349) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 11, 2010
Blutt59!! Okay this is so weird. Limoncello poured on fruity pebbles cereal. Reminds me of middle school!! wait, what?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mar (4843) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 10, 2010
bottle thanks to mora2000 or exiled? poured a cloudy yellow with a white head. nose is lemons and jello. nice on the palate, flavor is lemonade with a sweet finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
CheersMate (1310) - Fremont (Seattle), Washington, USA - AUG 10, 2010
Purchased at Binny’s Beverage Depot in Chicago. This had a golden orange/yellow appearance. The head eventually faded away. Smells of orange and lemon citrus. It’s very pungent, almost to the point of seeming artificial and gimmicky. The taste is of orange citrus, and alcoholic lemonade. It’s rather nice, and there is a great use of the citrus flavors, but again this seems a little on the fake side. I don’t know, at times it feels as though I’m drinking beer, and at other times it seems as though I’m drinking spiked lemonade. I get what they were going for but this is a little too sweet, and needs to mellow a bit. The texture was decent; lots of carbonation.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Rastacouere (6129) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 6, 2010
Dirty looking yellow, cloudy, with sparse carbonation and no head from the beginning. Quite a poor sight. On the nose, it’s pretty hard to smell anything else than lemonade. In mouth, the malt actually grabs a lot of room and round out the palate (it’s 7% after all, even though you notice none of the alcohol). It also brings a fair amount of sweetness, which is alright since the lemony tartness cleanses it up pretty well. Now I think lemonades are a fine summer drink, but I was hoping we would expand on the lemonade concept here and paying 7-10$ on 660 ml of lemonade is obviously not the sweetest deal. Of course it does have this cerealic side that no lemonade approaches, but its thicker body and so-so balance between the biscuity, crackery malts and the lemon is not all that successful. I find that it lacks the bursting freshness that I require of drinks that aim at refreshment. Also, what’s with the biting small-bubbled carbonation and absence of a head/ugly appearance? Considering the brewer behind the beer, I was expecting something more akin to.. I dunno, Gumballhead? hopped up lemon beer. Interesting idea, but something I’ll be happier having behind me.