Hurricane High Gravity Lager

overall

RATINGS: 273   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.35   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
Brewed for a distinctive bold taste.

* Also comes in a 12% a.b.v. version.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
wedgie9 (1792) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - APR 9, 2014
Tasted on 4/9/14 from a 25oz "Category 5" can purchased at a gas station in Florida. Pours completely clear bright orange with an average white head that slowly recedes to an average collar. The nose is sweet candy corn with a dusty touch and maybe even a hint of something green. The flavor is the same, sweet corn all the way through. The body is medium with almost fizzy, stinging carbonation, and a medium sweet corny finish.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
jtclockwork (7103) - , New Jersey, USA - MAR 22, 2014
Backlog can. Pours pale yellow with white head. Nose and taste of metal and corn. Light bodied.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
MattH (608) - California, USA - JAN 20, 2014
Twenty five ounce can. Gold pour with a quickly diminishing white head. Aroma of lemon and metal. Flavor is slightly bitter with some light lemon, apple and metal. Level of carbonation is medium. Body is pretty light.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
DrSilverworm (5016) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 30, 2013
40oz clear glass bottle, thanks to caterwaul. Opened up at a party. Clear golden color. Thin white head. Leaves pretty decent lace, here... Smooth, crisp carbonation. Medium to bigger body. Kind of slick. Pretty drinkable, though, despite the taste. Light bite... Kind of bitter, light alcohol heat. Maybe Iím more buzzed now, but nowhere near as horrible as I remember regular hurricane ("hurlicane") as being. Way better than expected. Pretty smooth, with minimal bite. Some decent hoppiness to it, even. Grapefruit, lemon? Maybe this is a FAF example

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
luttonm (2069) - Belgrade, SERBIA - DEC 29, 2013
Can in Seattle. One extra ounce! Category 5! Be Bold / Be Smooth / Be Powerful. Sigh. Awful malt liquor all the way, more of a headache than even the strong euro lagers Iím used to. Sweet corn liquor, sour sugar water / grain tea. Clear plain corny gold.There is some íhopí (?) bite to it, but still awful.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gription79 (2157) - Bountiful, Utah, USA - DEC 6, 2013
A 25 ounce can that states this as a category 5. This is funny because it is a 4% malt liquor. That is correct I am drinking the rare 4% cat 5. This is thin watery, apple, pilsner malt. I am surprised because for being 4% and a macro there is some flavor. Not terrible and it makes me laugh every sip thinking to myself, 4% malt liquor.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
radio_nowhere (697) - Maryland, USA - DEC 1, 2013
40oz bottle into lager glass .... because why not. Clear golden color, so many bubbles, with white head. Aroma of pale malt sweetness, cereal, with slightest fruity/metal note; innocent enough. Taste really takes things south; notes of corn, sugar and bad fruit (grape, apple maybe). Light body, heavy carbonation, watery with clean finish. Probably tops for widespread malt liquor, not that itís saying much.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Brouwerij (883) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 4, 2013
Category 5, 25 oz can. Pours clear straw with quickly settling white head. Aroma is corn, candy, and sugar. Flavor is very sweet, corn, cereal, grain, metal. Mild alcohol. Soft carbonation, light body, and watery texture. Mildly warming finish. Sugary, chemical soup. Quite unpleasant, even for malt liquor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Homer321 (971) - Rock Ridge, Florida, USA - OCT 17, 2013
Can. Tall boy. Courtesy of drewface. Smells cold. Drank from the can. Smooth malt start. Full mouthfeel, no bitterness. Sweet finish. No sense of alcohol or adjuncts. Not offensive at all. Good stuff. ---Rated via intercellular device

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
kdm1984 (586) - Missouri, USA - OCT 14, 2013
I was rolliní through the streets, forgetting it was Columbus Day and that the post office was closed. Not wanting to waste gas, I hit up a gas station. Nothing good for the homegirl there. I move on to the next one. YES! Pabst Blue Ribbon! I ponder deeply getting a six-pack. But no, I eye a $2 malt liquor calling my name instead. I present it to an old man cashier, who asks my date of birth. I go to present my ID, but he says, "I trust you arenít telling a story." Cool story, bro. I excitedly drive home for the rain, anticipating what this quality malt liquor might be like. I have not had this revered style since Mickeyís back in 2009 or so when I was watching a UFC event and probably donít really remember what it truly tasted like anyway. Finally, I get home, and I type up this big post, stare at the can for a little bit, and the finally muster up the courage to bust it open. I take a whiff. Instead of smelling skunk gasoline, I smell...lager. And booze water. WTF? They call this crap a hurricane? I sniff again. Wussy lager aroma. *sigh* I take a sip. WTF? This is kind of smooth. This is 8% ABV? It tastes like fricking water. Well, with elevated booze, anyway, that becomes more apparent with more sips. Still - where is all the corn and the gasoline and skunk derriere? I expected something so much more epic. Instead, I get a lager that isnít half-bad were it not for the booze choking with more and more sips. I wonder how many people have passed out on this without realizing it was a high ABV beer. Dang. Homegirl was let down. This isnít a hurricane; itís a slow-killing ninja quietly lurking in the shadows. Donít see it until it hits you.