Innis & Gunn Canada Day 2011

(RETIRED)
overall
Innis & Gunn
Formerly brewed at Wellpark (C&C Group)

Style: English Strong Ale
Edinburgh, Scotland

RATINGS: 92   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
This special beer has been brewed using Munich malt and golden oats to give it a beautiful biscuit backbone and a creamy smooth finish. Fuggles hops add their signature earthy and rich character before maturation in bourbon oak unlocks delicious flavours of vanilla and toffee from deep inside the oak grain. Available exclusively in all provinces of Canada (except Quebec and PEI).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Scubaguy (230) - Alberta, CANADA - MAY 24, 2011
It pours an amber color with a one finger sized head that vanishes to a thin ring right away. On the nose I am getting Carmel, oak, if would be safe to say some earthiness thrown in there. The flavor is quite enjoyable, I am picking up some large Carmel and toffee notes.It does have vanilla notes as well but it is lurking around in the back. I find nothing in this tends to really stand out more so than the other, everything seems to work well together, it tends to be a little creamy. It finishes with a good amount of warmth from the little higher abv and some more oak notes, some real earthy notes. The only bad thing I can find with this offering is the higher abv. The only reason I say it is bad, because I want another now. I mean it is more something you want to sit and relax.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jessop (206) - AUSTRALIA - JAN 28, 2012
Bottled poured with hardly any head to speak of. The Aroma sports notes of rich caramel, vanilla, oaky wood and malt. The flavour profile shows well rounded malts and bourbon, vanilla sweetness, its nutty and delectable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
slimspady (166) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 10, 2012
Hazy, dark red. Lots of maple and sweetness from the bourbon barrel. Not overpowering though. Not bad, but still donít like BA beer that much. 072712

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RD400F (158) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 27, 2011
UPDATED: JUN 28, 2011 Beer into Chimay trappist glass... Aroma: rubbing alcohol, oak, toffee, caramel, a little sour and kinda floral. Appearance: Disappointing. Head which went poof in a second which was off-putting. Beer is a super clear burnt orange/amber/red. Taste: Pretty fine, and that matters along with palate the most. Toffee is quite evident along with oak, booze and a slightly hoppy finish. Quite well balanced however. Palate: Thin, co2 is not overbearing, nothing negative to note, but not outstanding. Itís very smooth. Overall: Nice beer, I like it. I thought this was kinda bottom end, but no, itís actually pretty good! Compared to a can of Holsten Festbock pisswater, this is amazing. Recommended.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
gav12c (119) - Wollongong, AUSTRALIA - MAR 13, 2012
pours nice clear amber with a thin white head, smells beautiful with malty whiskey and smokey dark fruits. tase is heavy malt with lots of dark fruit and some smoke. finishes with a nice warmth in the throat.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bcBelgianbrew (79) - , British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 25, 2013
Just too sweet for my taste, but as is the style - malty sweet. Aroma to me smells like artificial fruit esters. Good balance of alcohol with the sweet though. Itís over 2 years old in the bottle. Too long? This is a winter beer, not really for summer IMO. My question is perhaps I&G might do better to put this out in the Fall season or for Christmas/New Yearís. Canada Day??? I guess itís not something I want to drink on a hot summerís day at the lake. I like the idea of oak aged beer better than I like the taste. I bet if I were drinking this at Christmas Iíd like it better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MichaelLawrie (51) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 7, 2011
Nice fruity aroma with a distinct young coconut character. Quite sweet on the tongue, slightly unbalanced. There is not much barrel character here. Overall quite good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
bortology (35) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 19, 2011
Is it good? Yes. Is it worth $5 a bottle? Nope! The high alcohol content gives the beer an off tasting flavor. This is not a beer that I would necessarily recomend, as there are many other beers that are of higher quality and flavor. But I would not refuse it if it were in front of me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Docavey (19) - Lehigh Acres, Florida, USA - JAN 1, 2013
Creamy but just bubbly enough. Well balanced and hoppy. Caramel and vanilla from barrel aging. Head does not last long. A gift from my sister enjoyed on New Years Day. Wish I could buy this in Florida. F Avey---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Stoutgirl86 (6) - Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 27, 2012 does not count
A trully delicious beer. Innis and Gunn really deliver on greating a deeper yet still balanced flavour which is even better then their original and winter seasonal ales. Possibly my imagination or high expectations, but my feeling is 2011s was a little richer then 2012. Feel free to comment if you have an opion on this.