Innis & Gunn Cask Strength Oak Aged Beer

(RETIRED)
overall
Innis & Gunn
Formerly brewed at Belhaven (Greene King)

Style: English Strong Ale
Edinburgh, Scotland

RATINGS: 66   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Brewed by Belhaven for Innis & Gunn
Ingredients: Golden Promise and crystal malt; Phoenix hops.
""Innis & Gunn are delighted to present this stunning Cask Strength edition Oak Aged Beer.""

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
rickgordon (3844) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - SEP 12, 2007
Bottled. RBESG. Amber colour, low head. Aroma from oak, vanllla and cheap re wine. Good whiskey barrel tone in flavour with peaty notes, yet mouthfeel is mellow with vanilla.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
cgarvieuk (14652) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - SEP 1, 2007
Bottle REESG 07 ... AS i liked the normal at first but grew to loath it over the whole bottle im a bit wary of my rating on a 50ml sample... copper ... woody malt and a little blue cheese ! ... little sweet(not as much as normal) again a little woody with soem malt fruits.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sigmund (5178) - Tau, NORWAY - AUG 31, 2007
Bottle, at RBESG 2007 in Glasgow, Grand Tasting. Deep amber colour, moderate head. Woody / oaky aroma, but not very strong. The flavour is fairly sweet and woody.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
omhper (19626) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - AUG 31, 2007
Bottled at RBESG ’07. Amber colour, minimal head, clear. Sherryish woody nose with some vanilla. Sweet with clean mouthfeel. Evident and elegant barrel flavour like a less peaty Highland whisky. The malt however is a bit mellow and not firm enough. Still a good interesting beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
RoyceH (1196) - Hesperange, LUXEMBOURG - AUG 30, 2007
Bottle, RBESG Grand Tasting 07. Coppery, thin white head. Vanilla, oaky sour malts. Blue cheese is very very strong here. Mouth is vanilla oaky whisky. Sweet and smooth with a finish that is sweet, slightly cheesy. Some alcohol. Quite ok really.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
rlgk (11026) - Göteborg/Jönköping, SWEDEN - AUG 30, 2007
(RBESG 2007, Glasgow. Bottle) Golden color, offwhite head. Malty whisky aroma. Malty and creamy whisky flavor, vanilla notes. Some toffe and with a quite strong finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
KnutAlbert (6118) - Oslo, NORWAY - AUG 29, 2007
Bottle, RBESG 2007. Fine whisky aroma on top of a rather nondescript beer. Oaky, spicy - vanilla. A nice gimmick, but I wouldn’t haqve more than one of these.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
BeerloverEJ21 (131) - Georgia, USA - AUG 19, 2007
This was a weird one. I’ve tried many beers out there from all over the world, and this one was very unique. First of all, I hate to see a beer in a clear bottle. Clear-bottled beers dont hold their taste as long and they get easily skunked. On the pour, little head. The aroma almost knocks you back! The oak cast was immediately evident, with a strong, alcohol, butterscotch, and burnt carmel smell, almost too sweet. The first taste was like drinking liquid butterscotch and beer mixed into one glass. Very sweet and burnt flavor. Aftertaste was the same. Very odd. It was interesting and I’m glad I tried it, but I won’t be drinking this one again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
skortila (4557) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - JUL 29, 2007
Aroma of oak, vanilla and a very pleasant whisky character. Bit hazy, copper coloured with an off-white, lasting, medium head. Taste is sweet, just a litlle bitterness with whisky oak. Very smooth taste. Bit watery finish. Actually this is quite a good brew. Thanks to joes for leaving this one in my fridge.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
CheersMate (1312) - Fremont (Seattle), Washington, USA - JUL 8, 2007
The palate of this beer was smooth, but boy I haven’t tasted a nastier beer in all of my life. This beer taste like beer flavored scotch! I have noticed that a lot of English men have rated this beer and enjoyed it a lot. For me I did not like the whiskey stale smell. This beer had the taste of liquor, and it was too watered down for me. The one thing I can say that was atleast decent about this beer was the palate; very smooth, and somewhat sweet tasting. I just don’t have the tastebuds to stomach this one. Not my cup of beer if you know what I am talking about. Just a very unique beer that I probably will not every drink again. There are some vanilla and wood notes, but as I said, it tastes more like liquor than beer.