overall

RATINGS: 1092   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32/5   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Originally brewed at Belhaven for Innis & Gunn. Production moved to Wellpark - date unknown.
NOTE: This is the same beer as the Oak Aged Beer Rum Finish. According to Innis & Gunn "they are the same beer, the process changed slightly so we changed the name. But the recipe is the same."

Has also been seen at 6.8% (Rum Aged)
Ingredients: Golden Promise and Crystal malt; Phoenix hops.
We are delighted to present this unique limited bottling of Innis & Gunn finished in oak barrels which previously contained navy rum. Maturation in special oak barrels imparts Navy rums with the sweet, spicy character for which they are renowned. We have long wondered what flavours might be imparted to our beer by finishing it in these same barrels and earlier this year we decided to find out. We brewed a special batch of Innis & Gunn beer and matured it in oak for 60 days. Every single drop spent half of that time in American oak barrels before being refilled into selected navy rum barrels to finish the lengthy maturation. Once the beer had absorbed the unique character the barrels were emptied, the beer blended and then maturation continued for a further 47 days until all of the flavours had married together and mellowed. We think the result is absolutely delicious!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
bartzluke (533) - Oklahoma, USA - DEC 26, 2015
.33l pour from refrigerated bottle into wine glass. Translucent, ruby-brown, light head. Soap, brown bread, cherry on the nose. Thin body, smooth. Taste is slightly fruity, some spice, hint of woodiness. Much lighter than I would have expected for a 7% barrel-aged beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Thranemeister (28) - DENMARK - DEC 22, 2015
First impression is RUM! Amazing aroma of rum and caramel. Reminds me of whiskey aswell. Very red clear colour. Super surreal experience. The smell of rum and charred oak casks masks the taste, which might only be a bit boring malty.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Lloydy (100) - Worcestershire, ENGLAND - DEC 20, 2015
Not as good as the "Original" for me. This sweet and spicy beer is a good winter ale, if they put the word Christmas on the label it wouldn’t be out of place.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
digopossobon (378) - MACAE, BRAZIL - DEC 20, 2015
A: Wood, smoked, medium intensity. A little bit salty. The best part of it. A: The head is dense and tan. Intense red-brown liquid. Clear. T: Surprisingly sweet. But balanced. P: Medium body, creamy, average carbonation. Astringent finish. O: I liked this one. Easy drink!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
UXO (1339) - CANADA - DEC 13, 2015
Appearance: clear medium to deep amber with one finger of fluffy ivory head diminishing gradually to a thin skim, patchy lacing. (3/5) Aroma: caramel, vanilla, woody, rum. (7/10) Taste: moderate-high sweet, moderate-low bitter. (6/10) Palate: medium body, moderate carbonation, slightly boozy finish. (3/5) I’ve been really bored with Innis & Gunn for quite some time, but this was in Calgary Co-Op’s Discovery Beer Packs, so I was kind of stuck with it. I hadn’t had it before, so I figured, what the hell. And, actually, it’s not bad. Like pretty much everything they make, it’s really too sweet, but the rum character is actually quite mild and pleasant. I thought it would be a Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy, but I think the correct stye is actually an English Strong, which is probably why I like it more than I expected to. I also went back and re-reviewed my notes for other I&G’s, and came to the conclusion that I dramatically overrated them all. My only defence was that I was young(er), foolish(er), and enthusiastic(er). This is a more correct rating, and should be counted among their best. And no, I’m not going back and re-doing the others, unless some very silly person insists - and then buys them for me. (13/20)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Scottishchris (645) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - DEC 13, 2015
Bottle received as joke secret Santa from someone who knows I can't stand i&g. Clear ruby, decent white head. Sickly vanilla and oak. Medium body, sticky. Fizzy. Sweet caramel and vanilla. Some woody notes. Possibly the best of a bad bunch?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DerGantzel (274) - Aarhus, DENMARK - DEC 11, 2015
Aroma of malt and rum. Red-brown clear liquid, white head. Rum taste is high, medium-high sweetness, light bitterness. Average carbobation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DoctorHU (349) - UKRAINE - DEC 9, 2015
The flavor has a light fruit notes and weak wood tones. The taste is too intrusive berry-ascorbic acidity, slightly caramel, start to play very small notes of rum and perhaps even more light bitterness. The aftertaste reveals delicious alcoholic and noble tone, just the cream and rum barrels. However, these colors are very soft, pleasant, shaded little fruitiness

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
MGantzel (193) - Aalborg, DENMARK - DEC 6, 2015
Denne Innis & Gunn har et brunt udseende med et svagt hvidt skum. Øllen har en cask rom aroma og smager frugtig og sødt. Desuden afrundes øllen af en cask rom smag, hvilket giver øllen en lidt krydret smag i samspil med det søde. Lav karbonering.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Satyroneto (290) - BRAZIL - NOV 29, 2015
Cor âmbar com tons rubi e cobre; brilhante e cristalina com um perlage razoável e uma espuma bege de baixa formação e persistência de um fino anel com pouco lacing. Aroma de biscoito, pudim e picardia de especiarias (lembra rum envelhecido). Leve álcool em segundo plano. Sabor de caramelo, evoluindo para um final amadeirado, alcoólico e levemente picante. Retrogosto amadeirado de boa persistência. Corpo leve e carbonatação média. Alta drinkability.