overall

RATINGS: 139   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47/5   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
We combine roasted malt with three additions of select hops to produce a well-balanced dark ale with a satisfying finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ClarkVV (5559) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 18, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2006 2002 growler. Dark Brown with some reddish golden hues. Slightly cloudy, as this is unfiltered and, to my delight, unpasteurized. Had out of a growler. Nice straw, malt aroma. Some dark dark, full berry aroma on the end. But mostly an earthy almost root taste coming from the barley. Nice grainy/malt character. Wonderful velvety taste. Great natural carbonation. Soft but yet has an appropriate amount of burnt flavor from the roasted malt. As it warmed to room temperature, there were some even caramel tending towards toffee notes. Very balanced ale with a full, malty body. What I enjoyed most was that it was complex and seemed to offer a bit of everything, malt, roast, caramel/toffee flavor, good body, good carb level, even had a bit of hops to it that is apparent right upon sipping it. Could be a little less sweet, as that tends to prevent from drinking much of this at one time. 2004 bottle. Still incredible. Great color, same light dark fruits in the aroma with plenty of lightly bitter, juicy hops, dominated mostly by caramel and chocolate malt. Tastes wonderful even after it has warmed. Less sweet than I rememeber, maybe a bit more bitter. I think if they lowered the alpha acids/took out some hops, this would be even better. As it is, this is one of my favorite brown ales and just a tasty, drinkable beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jjw2000 (72) - USA - MAY 21, 2003
Deep somewhat cloudy red brown color with light tan head. Mild aroma of floral hops and some sweet malt. Very creamy mouthfeel. Strong bitter nutty flavor is accentuated pleasantly by roasted notes. Pleasant and strong lingering finish also rich, nutty, roasted and bitter/hoppy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 27, 2003
Dark color with ruby tint, nice frothy head. Very nice aroma, great mix of sweet/nutty malts and fruity hops. Taste is of roasted malt very nicely complemented by a hoppy bitterness. Very nutty/wood flavor to the malts, the hops are somewhat chewy and add a slightly citrusy kick. Comes togeher very nicely and leaves a terific bitter finish. The oatmeal stout turned me off to this brewery, but after this one I am going to have to try all that I can find.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 31, 2002
A strange mix of hops and roasted malts. Very hoppy and bitter, with the roasted malts adding depth to the bitterness in the way of coffee of something like that. I havenít had this in a while, so Iíll have to try it again and rerate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 30, 2002
Roasted grain, slightly floral nose. Billowing tan head. Deep ruddy brown hue. Sweet, good mouthfeel, very nice bitter finish. This is some good stuff. Ipswich always impresses me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
muzzlehatch (4463) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 26, 2002
Ok, guess Iím spoiler on this one. Have to say upfront that I didnít have a whole bottle or pint, just part of my brotherís. I found it nice and malty-sweet, and yes it gets tougher at the end and has a nice color; but all in all it just didnít seem to have a lot of character to me, sorry. Perhaps Iíll try it again if I can get an Ipswich sampler, though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2002
One thing guys canít do well is describe color - I write, shaking my head at the attempts below - this beer is burnt umber, gentlemen, and the remarkable thing is that the flavor mtaches the color nicely - warm, deep, maybe slightly astringent. The best thing about the beer is its remarkable mouthfeel - wonderful on the tongue. Thanks Michael!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 16, 2002
This is the one Michael saved for us ... and weíre so glad he did! Big, warming, earthy brown - chewy even - reminds me of my wifeís rich homemade granola. Fine accompaniment of hops, too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łůdż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2002
Gusler once called El Toroís Poppy Jasper ímarzenyí, and the description befits this one even better. On the front side, the malt handling here is world class; sweet, challenging, slight lemon oaty kind of flavor. A tiny bit thick in the mouth detracts oh just a bit. Nicely smoky at the front as well. Like the Sudwerk Marzen pumped up on steroids. Then the finish; beautifully bitter, nicely hopped, but not quite as clean as some American west coast browns like the Jasper. Must be the English style brown, I guess. This beer, contrasted with Boyne and El Toroís offerings, showcases the incredible range found in Americaís best breweries within the Brown ale style. Highly recommended, and thanks Volgon. Top 3 Brown. Hennes and Brownalegirl -- I already have one saved for ya.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAY 25, 2002
Deep cloudy brown color, the head beige and frothy, the lace is in sheets. Nose is malt, earthy, the front is malt sweet, the top light, the finish is quite hoppy. A good drinkable beer from one of my favorite East coast breweries.