overall

RATINGS: 135   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
We combine roasted malt with three additions of select hops to produce a well-balanced dark ale with a satisfying finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 30, 2002
Roasted grain, slightly floral nose. Billowing tan head. Deep ruddy brown hue. Sweet, good mouthfeel, very nice bitter finish. This is some good stuff. Ipswich always impresses me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUN 26, 2002
Ok, guess I’m spoiler on this one. Have to say upfront that I didn’t have a whole bottle or pint, just part of my brother’s. I found it nice and malty-sweet, and yes it gets tougher at the end and has a nice color; but all in all it just didn’t seem to have a lot of character to me, sorry. Perhaps I’ll try it again if I can get an Ipswich sampler, though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2002
One thing guys can’t do well is describe color - I write, shaking my head at the attempts below - this beer is burnt umber, gentlemen, and the remarkable thing is that the flavor mtaches the color nicely - warm, deep, maybe slightly astringent. The best thing about the beer is its remarkable mouthfeel - wonderful on the tongue. Thanks Michael!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 16, 2002
This is the one Michael saved for us ... and we’re so glad he did! Big, warming, earthy brown - chewy even - reminds me of my wife’s rich homemade granola. Fine accompaniment of hops, too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2002
Gusler once called El Toro’s Poppy Jasper ’marzeny’, and the description befits this one even better. On the front side, the malt handling here is world class; sweet, challenging, slight lemon oaty kind of flavor. A tiny bit thick in the mouth detracts oh just a bit. Nicely smoky at the front as well. Like the Sudwerk Marzen pumped up on steroids. Then the finish; beautifully bitter, nicely hopped, but not quite as clean as some American west coast browns like the Jasper. Must be the English style brown, I guess. This beer, contrasted with Boyne and El Toro’s offerings, showcases the incredible range found in America’s best breweries within the Brown ale style. Highly recommended, and thanks Volgon. Top 3 Brown. Hennes and Brownalegirl -- I already have one saved for ya.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAY 25, 2002
Deep cloudy brown color, the head beige and frothy, the lace is in sheets. Nose is malt, earthy, the front is malt sweet, the top light, the finish is quite hoppy. A good drinkable beer from one of my favorite East coast breweries.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 13, 2002
A bitter, cloudy brown ale. Odd color. Very malty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 6, 2002
One of the best beers that I have had. Wonderful malty taste. I wish it was sold in more stores.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Davhgbrew (886) - Coconut Creek, Florida, USA - APR 28, 2002
Orange brown appearance, with a huge creamy head that lasted very long. Bitter for a brown, smooth finish, but not a beer I would want again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Aubrey (3417) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - NOV 25, 2001
Wow! What a great beer! Deep red / mahogany with a light tan head. Richly malted, roasty, and hoppily bitter. Rather complex... very balanced. Mouthwatering flavors. ’Homebrew-like’ aroma smells very fresh and inviting. Loved the roasty & bitter finish; quite a lingering aftertaste too. Somewhat throat warming. Good stuff!