overall

RATINGS: 136   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
We combine roasted malt with three additions of select hops to produce a well-balanced dark ale with a satisfying finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 31, 2002
A strange mix of hops and roasted malts. Very hoppy and bitter, with the roasted malts adding depth to the bitterness in the way of coffee of something like that. I havenít had this in a while, so Iíll have to try it again and rerate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 30, 2002
Roasted grain, slightly floral nose. Billowing tan head. Deep ruddy brown hue. Sweet, good mouthfeel, very nice bitter finish. This is some good stuff. Ipswich always impresses me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUN 26, 2002
Ok, guess Iím spoiler on this one. Have to say upfront that I didnít have a whole bottle or pint, just part of my brotherís. I found it nice and malty-sweet, and yes it gets tougher at the end and has a nice color; but all in all it just didnít seem to have a lot of character to me, sorry. Perhaps Iíll try it again if I can get an Ipswich sampler, though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2002
One thing guys canít do well is describe color - I write, shaking my head at the attempts below - this beer is burnt umber, gentlemen, and the remarkable thing is that the flavor mtaches the color nicely - warm, deep, maybe slightly astringent. The best thing about the beer is its remarkable mouthfeel - wonderful on the tongue. Thanks Michael!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 16, 2002
This is the one Michael saved for us ... and weíre so glad he did! Big, warming, earthy brown - chewy even - reminds me of my wifeís rich homemade granola. Fine accompaniment of hops, too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łůdż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2002
Gusler once called El Toroís Poppy Jasper ímarzenyí, and the description befits this one even better. On the front side, the malt handling here is world class; sweet, challenging, slight lemon oaty kind of flavor. A tiny bit thick in the mouth detracts oh just a bit. Nicely smoky at the front as well. Like the Sudwerk Marzen pumped up on steroids. Then the finish; beautifully bitter, nicely hopped, but not quite as clean as some American west coast browns like the Jasper. Must be the English style brown, I guess. This beer, contrasted with Boyne and El Toroís offerings, showcases the incredible range found in Americaís best breweries within the Brown ale style. Highly recommended, and thanks Volgon. Top 3 Brown. Hennes and Brownalegirl -- I already have one saved for ya.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAY 25, 2002
Deep cloudy brown color, the head beige and frothy, the lace is in sheets. Nose is malt, earthy, the front is malt sweet, the top light, the finish is quite hoppy. A good drinkable beer from one of my favorite East coast breweries.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 13, 2002
A bitter, cloudy brown ale. Odd color. Very malty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 6, 2002
One of the best beers that I have had. Wonderful malty taste. I wish it was sold in more stores.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Davhgbrew (938) - Coconut Creek, Florida, USA - APR 28, 2002
Orange brown appearance, with a huge creamy head that lasted very long. Bitter for a brown, smooth finish, but not a beer I would want again.