overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 241   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
A medium-bodied, unfiltered, English-style pale ale with subtle hoppiness and a smooth malty flavor that has made it our flagship product.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 31, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2005 Rapidly decreasing white foamy head. The bottle I had was highly carbonated. I tried it at about 50-53 degrees. It reminded me of a lighter version of the IPA. Still a good deal of bitterness. Had the characteristic peachy-malt taste of Ipswich brews. Very nice, dry aftertaste. I thought this beer was very well balanced, maybe could use a bit of a caramel malt. Seemed halfway between an APA and an EPA. Still a great beer.
On cask at NERAX 4/29/2005 as "Ipsich Pale Ale"
Hazy red-gold, well-retained white head. Nose has yeast, pale malt, light flowers. Flavor is malty sweet, cream, honey with some grassy-herbal hops. Good medium-full body. A bit bland on the finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 21, 2002
As far as I can remember, this stuff was not that bad. I remember it being smooth and refreshing. I had it on draft in Gloucester.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 2, 2002
Dark golden, orange hue. Malty flowery nose. Small head, slight lacing. Nice malt backbone, medium bodied, spicy, pepper and bitter, hoppy ending. A very nice english style ale, very quaffable. I really enjoy this ale, excellant, and underated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SimonPatrice (312) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 8, 2002
Copper color, thin head. Peach and icing sugar aroma, resinous notes. Mostly bitter, grapefruit, nice hop bite. Better than I expected. An honest beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 24, 2002
I can’t honestly rate this beer since my friend brings it in a growler by boat. It takes 5 days to get here. I find it enjoyable and drink the whole half gallon post-haste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
friejose (24) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 26, 2002
smooth and enjoyable

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 14, 2002
Granted it’s not a beer that stands out, but some other brewers can learn a lesson from ol’ Ipswich... sell your mediocre beer at 5 bucks a half-gallon and people will buy it and love it. Thank you.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUN 3, 2002
I agree with Legion. simply uninteresting, very yeasty and the grapefruity taste didn’t work too well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2002
Wow. Quite disparate aroma and flavor marks! Beautiful cookie-dough aroma; defines the term IMO. Hops infused throughout, not just at the finale, of the grapefruit-rind variety so widely used (Great Lakes burning river, for one). Quite good balance. Yeah, some will call it boring, but this is a wonderful English-style pale ale in my book.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
legion242 (2191) - Richardson, Texas, USA - MAY 26, 2002
Nice burnt orange color; Thin to medium head- very English looking; just a hint of mild hops in the nose. Tastes like a typical APA- citrusy and boring. I would like to take this oppurtunity to give a big fat F**K YOU to all the American breweries out there who think I wanna taste another damn APA as boring as this one: may you rot in brewery hell. You deserve all of the schmegma thrown your way.