overall

RATINGS: 87   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Distinct sweet and complex flavor, this beer has been reserved and set aside for special occasions.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MartinT (7811) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 14, 2010
My Bottom Line:
Rampant oxidation befits the talkative caramel malt flavors this Barley Wine is based on, but the linearity of the flavor profile and the pushy effervescence conjure up a forgettable sipper.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A slice of foam decorates the amber-ish pale brown.
-This is definitely malt-driven, yet I can’t forget the much more rewarding bottle of their Sasquatch Barley Wine I had a couple of years ago. The Sasquatch had a lot more depth to offer.
-Phantom hop bitterness appears in the finish. Cardboard is more prevalent though.
-Alcohol is present but well concealed within the dextrins.
-At this inflated price, I will never revisit on my own.

Bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
PhillyCraft (3224) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2012
Growler pour from Brian with some heads. Pours a amber orange shade, very hazy. Tiny head and lacing. Aromas/taste were very sweet with toasted malt, caramel, hay, fruits. Very syrupy, with lots of mollases. Medium bodied barleywine. Sticky palate. Not bad.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
FlacoAlto (3800) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 23, 2008
750ml Bottle; Shared at the first, semi-annual Ratebeer-Tucson tasting!
Pours with a thin, frothy, amber-tinged, tan colored head that sits on top of a clear, rich amber colored beer. The aroma has a dank, cheesy note to it that mixes with an herbal and citrus driven hop character that are ultimately drowned out by the funkiness. A touch of caramel malt character struggles to come through the funk aromatics as well.

Cheesy notes continue in the flavor, though they are a touch more muted than in the aroma there is still a really rustic, challengingly, funky French-farmhouse cheese funkiness here that reminds me of really rank toe-cheese. The herbal and citrus hop notes are more noticeable than they were in the aroma and the flavor is slightly better than the aroma was too. Bitter hop notes mix with light phenolics as they meld together in the finish. This would definitely be a nice beer without the obvious infection. It is still exceedingly hoppy and the chewy malt would have been nice if not drowned out by the cheesy funk.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
cbkschubert (2900) - BFE, Arizona, USA - JUL 12, 2008
750 ml bottle via trade with hopdog - Pours a reddish-amber color with a thin off white head. Faint spotty lacing. It went South from here. I think the bottle was infected. Flavor was phenolic and bitter. Too bad. I was sitting on this bottle for quite some time and was looking forward to sharing it. Oh well, maybe I can get another bottle. Thanks Steve.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
brew3crew (166) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2012
Caramel body with a white lacing head. Smells sweet but a little rusty. Taste just the same and that’s not a good thing

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Thorpe429 (5012) - , Illinois, USA - JAN 31, 2013
On tap at the Iron Hill Belgium Comes to West Chester event. Dry and sweet at the same time. A bit odd in the body. Moderate malty sweetness with a bit of fruit. Slightly metallic in the finish.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Glouglouburp (6022) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 7, 2010
In short: A typical, but very much oxidized barley wine
How: Bottle 750ml. Consumed when almost 2 year old. Too old maybe.
The look: Cloudy light brown body topped by a medium beige head
In long: Nose of cardboard and caramel. Taste is crème caramel, booze, peanuts, wet cardboard, tobacco. Alcohol is very apparent. Finish is a bit bite of alcohol. The body is foamy/fluffy with a overly active carbonation. I had this beer in a tasting a few months back and it was oxidized. I didn’t rate it knowing I had a bottle home. My bottle was oxidized too. And both bottles were not purchased at the same time from the same pub. So I’d say that the odds of other bottles of Iron Hill Barleywine are pretty high. And I paid about $20 for that oxidized crap. What have I done to deserve that? What do people have against me? I am not a bad person. I am a good person. I am a good person who has done some bad things. To an alarm clock. Sexually.