overall

RATINGS: 178   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
Created by the brewery’s founder, Quilter’s Irish Death is what we call a dark, smooth, ale. Any attempt at classifying it just ends up sending beer geeks into a style guidelines diatribe. So forget style guidelines. Is your pursuit of micro beer about tasting copies of a style that fit guidelines anyways? (Neither is ours) Irish Death is a malt bomb. We lovingly refer to it as beer candy. We heart our candy store. While tempting to session this beer, the name is a necessary reminder that despite the surprising approachability, this beer weighs in at a hefty 7.8% ABV.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
ajmkendrick (23) - Oak Harbor, Washington, USA - DEC 14, 2013
Irish Death is a very dark Ale. It is nearly the color of black coffee with a warm brown edge and a thick tan head. It tasted slightly of toast, coffee, and chocolate. It was quite bitter when completely chilled but smoothed out as it warmed up. It was definitely heavier than I expect an ale to be. It was the type of beer that for me is a meal in itself, I would never do more than snack with it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Davhgbrew (925) - Coconut Creek, Florida, USA - NOV 27, 2013
Sweet stout is right. Chewy and creamy palate. Milk Chocolate with burnt malt. Hop in the finish. Slight bourbon barrel flavor in there as well, which I am yet to care for in my brews.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
BVukelich (37) - Algona, Washington, USA - NOV 24, 2013
Nice looking beer. Had it on tap at a new restaurant in the area, Hop Jacks. Decent head, left phenomenal lace. The aroma was average and the taste was far from complex. Definitely more on the sweet side and very low bitterness. Good mouthfeel but not much of an aftertaste. Overall not a bad stout, won’t be my go-to stout but I could "session" these on occasion.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
CharleyNewman (1) - - SEP 7, 2013 does not count
Dark and delicious. Tasted it at a beer tasting event in Seattle. Very rich and smooth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beergeek23322 (2129) - Chesapeake, Virginia, USA - SEP 3, 2013
September 2012. From bottle. Dark brown with a tan head. Dark roasted male, coffee, chocolate, dark fruit. Creamy and smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pender19 (1) - Ketchikan, Alaska, USA - AUG 12, 2013 does not count
Such a smooth stout. From the first drop, all night long. This beer is incredible. I usually only drink dark beers inn the winter but I love this any time of any day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Mora2000 (5527) - McKinney, Texas, USA - AUG 11, 2013
Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle. Brown pour with a tan head. The aroma is full of toffee, peat and dark fruit. The flavor is similar. I get a lot of toffee and peat malt, with some cherries and a light amount of alcohol. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
shigadeyo (2973) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - AUG 2, 2013

Vacation 2011 - Seattle and Olympic National Park

8/21/2011: Iron Horse Quilter’s Irish Dath [Dark, Smooth Ale.]... Aroma: Cola and molasses with undertones of spice and licorice. Appearance: Murky dark brown color, dirty opaqueness; small, dense beige- to tan-colored head that settles out quickly. Flavor: Mild licorice with deep herbal notes; somehow reminds me of chocolate and pumpkin; nice medicinal quality; sasafrass, molasses fruitiness; good alochol in the finish. Palate: Meidum body; smooth, just slightly chewy. Overall: Oddly different and quite tasty!

1 pint 6 fl. oz. bottle (Alc. 7.8% by Vol.). Rating #151 for this beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
TyMason (1) - Chehalis, USA - JUL 17, 2013 does not count
Great dark beer! if you like Guinness you will like this beer.... maybe even better.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
DarkElf (3033) - La Jolla, California, USA - JUL 7, 2013
07-Jul-13 (22-oz bottle)
I suppose I can excuse a single infection, though I really should never have to. But when three of the six bottles I buy from a brewery are infected, it really pisses me off and I’m going to voice my displeasure. The cap pops with normal carbonation rush and pours a dark-brown body with half an inch of tan head that fizzes away quickly to a thin ring. The nose is fully sour, smelling like wedges of granny smith apples that were dropped in a pile of dirt. Red apple skins, sour green apple flesh, and dirty dishwater in the entry, though a bit of sweeter, cola-like, dark malt does come out in the finish, hinting at what kind of beer this could have been. Light-medium weight, medium in carbonation, fairly acidic. Obviously this is undrinkable and a huge disappointment, even more so since I love sweet stouts.