overall

RATINGS: 203   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A Robust American Ale brewed with four different rye malts, fresh centennial and crystal hops and our proprietary ale yeast. It is partly fermented in Tennessee rye whiskey barrels, then carefully blended. Enjoy the gorgeous ruby color, strong aromas of vanilla and black cherry, earthy flavors of nuts and oak and the warm, spicy finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
NobleSquirrel (3437) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 2, 2011
Bottle from Theresa’s Next Door, opened at DLD. Pours a ruddy brown with a ton of crap floating in it as it was a light gusher. robust foam on top. Nose is a brett infection, some funky notes but more horsey than I’d like. Some sweet vanilla and oak notes come through as does a certain cherry note. Fruity. On taste, this is an odd one. There is an overwhelming bitterness that grows unpleasant after a while, but the base flavors that do exist are round and full. Light spicy cherry type notes with some light sweetnees. It is astringent though. Damn, should have been a better beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
nimbleprop (4880) - SouthWest, Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 22, 2011
750ml bottle pours a caramel brown with some cloudy, brown head. Smells infected. Nose is tart, sweet, estery, candy sugar. Flavor is sweet, apples, raisins, caramel, crystal malts. Finish is full bodied and sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
FunkyBrewster (1518) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 7, 2011
750 ml bottle. Gusher for me too, luckily I had a glass nearby and let it pour down the bottle into the glass. Didnt seem to want to stop gushing for quite some time. Pours a deep amber red with a small light tan froth. Aroma is a but metallic but that settled out. Picked up some dark fruit, black cherry, a bit sharp with some sweet nutty earthy notes. Flavor has a sweet and sour component. Lots of wood from the barrel, dark fruit, black cherry again, a bit of a vinous note, though its a soft tartness that works with the sweetness and earthy hops. A bit spicy in the finish which has a touch of cheesy funk. Medium to medium full body and a fizzy carbonation. I don’t think it was too bad, I enjoyed a lot of aspects of the beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
dmac (4016) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - JAN 29, 2011
INFECTED. That basically should sum up the review but I will continue. If there was a sour barley wine style then this would bea great example. Poured a deep dark brown body with a HUGE beige head. Aroma of sour fruits, green apple and sour cherry, chocolate, funk, medicinal notes and band aids. Fizzy body with strong carbontion. Flavor of chocolate, bad medicine, band aids and sour cherries. DRAINPOUR.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
pineypower (2509) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - JAN 24, 2011
Bottle thanks to JTclockwork. Bottle didn’t gush, but by the aroma of the pour it was slightly infected. Aroma is of some light funky notes and a touch of some fruit. Aside from the funk, the taste is of some light roast, sour apples, some spice and that funk creeping in there again. Would like to try a non-infected bottle, but as a sour this doesn’t do too bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jtclockwork (8445) - , New Jersey, USA - JAN 23, 2011
Bottle shared at Dmac’s. Pours black with tan head. Nose of funky sour apple, barrel and funk. Taste of funky sour apple skins, rye, wood, caramel, funk and toffee. Clearly infected, though still consumable as a sour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
matthewjk (909) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 19, 2011
I’ll I can say right now is that I’m extremely upset! I just put down $10 for a champaign bottle from Ithaca that I thought I was going to enjoy immensely. This Bullshit exploded on me and all over my desk. Damn thing was like a volcano. I had pour a great deal of it out just to stop the effluence. I’m not even sure if this is safe to drink, but of course I did. Folks are talking about "infection" on here, but I have no idea what this is about. All I know is that I have never had a beer gush like that--never. Okay...after I cleaned up the surrounding area I got into it. Strong whiskey, vanilla, and tartness on the nose and tongue. The beverage is so turbid that it looks dangerous to drink. Some nice flavors actually, but this whole thing really pissed me off. I want nothing to do with this company ever again. Dead serious. Batch# E!017

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
nickd717 (3497) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 5, 2011
750ml bottle thanks to Crack1Open on BA. Major gusher!!! Hazy weird reddish-brown appearance with a massive fizzy tan head. Bretty, funky, oaky, aroma with slight dark fruit, infection evident. Tart bretty flavor with an odd acrid finish. Some plum and fig notes. Not good. Medium-bodied with carbonation WAY too high. This is terrible. Ithaca needs to do something about this infection problem.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Anker (723) - Hillerød, DENMARK - DEC 29, 2010
Bottle traded by Maxxdaddy - very appreciated! Pours a hazy brown colour with a tan dense head. The aroma is dominated by caramel malt, ripe fruit, alcohol and hops. Flavour is sweet ripe fruit, caramel, alcohol, oak and hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jake65 (2616) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 11, 2010
Placeholder rating: Bottle from Ditmier - thanks Eric! Made the mistake of opening this at the island before a nasty gushing mess shot forth all over the floor, counter, and sink. Fun. Dark auburn color with a nice, creamy khaki head. Nose is malt forward with ample bourbon barrel notes. It has the dry, acidic, sour scent... Son of a bitch. Can’t get much past the acetaldehyde... what malty and soft bourbon notes I can pick up are really jammed by the infection. Finish just brutally sour and plastic-filled. A tragedy. Did a quick search on other cases of infection, but to no avail. I’d love to revisit and properly rate this... so, ISO.