Ithaca Hot and Sour Szechuan Ale

Ithaca Hot and Sour Szechuan Ale
     click to upload

Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 6   MEAN: 2.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.68   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
A potentially unwise blend of the famous (Brute, Golden Sour) and the infamous (Ralph Wiggum’s Revenge, Tobasco barrel aged Smoked Porter). Will good triumph over evil?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
jrallen34 (3478) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2011
The beer pours black with a light tan head that doesn’t rise much. The lacing and retention are poor. The aroma is very strong with lots of sweetness, maple syrup, bourbon and some oak at the end. The taste has similar notes of the aroma but the beer is so light feeling that it is distracting to the drinker. I want a fuller feel. It finishes poorly as well with some light bitter coffee which really reminds me of a week old cup of coffee. Overall, the beer started out nice and I had high hopes. However, the feel and finish just destroy this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
HonusWagner (1230) - Florida, USA - DEC 7, 2010
UPDATED: JUN 1, 2011 From notes. I give them a lot of credit for making something that defines "extreme" brewing, for better and for much, much worse. The aroma is mostly that nice light, slightly fruity tartness from Brute, with a slightly simmering chili background. Kinda like being in a kitchen where someone is frying some chilis to put into a curry or something, mixed with a refreshing berliner weisse. Taste starts out nicely sour, and then the rush comes in on the back and you wonder why this was a beer you drank in the middle of the session when you knew nobody else was going to bother killing the keg. It was pretty tasty for what it was, and I appreciate the effort, but this should probably not be made available when there are so many other good beers in the building.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
vtafro (2461) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - MAY 12, 2010
Draft. hmm brute plus peppers in tobasco barrels. Palate killer pours brown no real head. I guess im not really one for heat, this was the last beer i tasted at the NotB, and I’m not sure if I could taste anything but hot peppers after. Notes read " Burning!" Waste of brute.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MesandSim (7119) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - APR 2, 2010
A Sim rate (Extreme Beer Fest Night of the Barrels): Smells of coffee and tabasco. Hits your nose like a spicy chili that catches you off-guard. The flavour would be really good but so so spicy. Taste like tabasco’s been dropped in like a submarine (Urbs taught me that term). Such a lot of heat in the finish. The sourness is great on the first sip, then tabasco hits you at the end. Hot & tingly interesting palate. Weird but good.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - MAR 5, 2010
Draft at EBF. Fuck this beer, i had this as my absolute last sample of NOTB EBF, and it still managed to make problems. Freaking so dam hot that it perminates the plastics of the tasting glasses and just sticks around had to get a new one. Pours a amber body with an off white head. Tastes like burning, sets your nostrils on fire, mild sweat across the forehead, hot heat of the peppers made me cough. Screw these dam useless novelty beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
j12601 (6585) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - FEB 28, 2010
Pouring at EBF’s Night of the Barrels. I was scared and excited about this one. I hadn’t gone to NotB last year so I had missed the infamous Ralph Wiggum’s Revenge that made up part of this brew. Everything I had heard about it however told me it was an utter palate killer. It was however mixed with one of my favorites – Ithaca Brute. How could I pass it up? I waited until I had tried most of my “must tries” before getting this in case it lived up to it’s predecessor and was a “Destroyer of Tongues”. It wasn’t. It was pretty good. Bretty and fruity to start, little heat comes through on the nose, backing up that crisp acid that the Brute has. Hot, sour. In small amounts this is pretty solid. I doubt I’d want to drink a whole 750 solo, but it was quite good. Spicy lingering heat past the acid and sourness. I quite liked this and found the heat to be manageable. My palate cleared in under a minute and I was ready for some more. The heat is intense but not overwhelming.