overall

RATINGS: 10   MEAN: 3.51/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
This is the mead we have been producing for twenty-five years, using northern grown honey. After ageing for four years and naturally cleared, pours a light pale golden color, lightly floral with lots of honey in the aroma.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
WymanJ (49) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 19, 2011
UPDATED: SEP 28, 2011 Yum, just yum! This was my first introduction to mead (last year) and it’s just as good as I remembered it! Classic, sweet, refreshing, delicious! The only problem was the trail of bees following us around the festival. Apparently, they love it, too! Edit - had some on another trip to the MN Ren Fest. This time, found some slight lemon notes in it. Wasn’t quite as rich as I remembered it from the previous week. Still one of my favorites, though!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BVery (6980) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 18, 2011
Sampled at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. Golden yellow pour. Aroma and taste of honey and grape. Tasty stuff!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
sthlm (1233) - Minnesota, USA - MAY 29, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2014 [Bottle, thanks Skyview!] Pours pale golden. A little sour at first in the aroma, but otherwise it was very sweet, and quite strong with a smell that I have described in previous reviews as leather. The taste is also very sweet with a "leather" taste that matches the aroma. Medium-thin, but has a long finish. Honestly, I didn’t really understand this mead. Most of the others that sampled it liked it, but I did not particularly. The "leather" aroma and taste that I detected in this I have only ever noticed in lambics before, and were also present in the other J. Bird products I had during the night. I did not detect it in any other beers/meads though, so it was not a problem with my glass (which I was rinsing out regularly). The fact that the only other place that I have ever smelled this before was in a lambic leaves me wondering if the bottles sampled that night were infected.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tennisjoel (1182) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - MAY 28, 2008
Sampled at OSLO’s tasting thanks to Skyview
Alright, I arrive at OSLO’s tasting only to start with a mead out of a plastic bottle. Immediately, I was wondering what the heck this was, and was thinking we were starting with some kind of swill. Nice touch. Anyways, I digress.

I am by no means a mead expert, but pretty much everyone agreed this was decent. Obviously honey, a vinous quality, and some sour grape. Not bad, and lighter in ABV than many others in this style. Leave it to Skyview to discover these obscure breweries in rural areas, only for us to enjoy. Cheers!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
islay (1253) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAY 27, 2008
Small sample at OSLO and Guerde’s tasting on Friday, 5-23-08. Thanks to skyview for bringing this mead. 4 years aged. Pale color. Unaged white wine appearance. Aroma includes apple sharpness, white wine, and white vinegar sourness. Very sweet taste. Flavors include honey and golden raisin. Medium body. Easy to drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JK (4615) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAY 26, 2008
This was a big hit with the tasting, and I think everyone agreed it was a good product, especially for the price. Sweet honey aroma. Flavor is very sweet, with grape, honey, and lots of carbonation.Some peach. With this quality at this price, this guy could sell all he can make.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
badgerben (4502) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - MAY 26, 2008
OSLO and Guerde’s Memorial Weekend Tasting, 5/23/08. The first one of the night, courtesy of Skyview. Hazy, light gold color. Aroma of clover and syrup. Definitely the clover honey taste. Slightly thin body. Light sugar. Not bad at all, especially for $5 a liter. And in a plastic screwtop container? How can you lose?!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Stine (1628) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAY 23, 2008
Poured from a very classy one liter plastic bottle. Appearance of white grape juice. Cinnamon spiced apple and pear aroma. Sticky dandelion residue and some distant funk and mildew. A lovely, delicate floral honey flavor that has a rind of melon and grape tartness trimming the edge of any residual sugar. Palate is lightly syrupy and even a bit cool and refreshing. Calm. Surprisingly soft. Thanks Bob!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Guerde (1184) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - MAY 23, 2008
(plastic bottle) Thanks Skyview! Pours clear light gold. Aroma of tart apple, some glue, alcohol, and honey. Taste of sweet honey, some light tartness as well. Medium/thin mouthfeel. Not bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Skyview (5269) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - MAY 23, 2008
Picked up a single one-liter plastic bottle from the meadery near Cambridge, Minnesota. Pours a clear Pinot Gris colored mead with no foam or bubbles. Aroma is very flowery, some white wine character, honey and a touch of apple. Taste is smooth, highly sweet with flavors of honey, apples and some floral. Finish is light, crisp, honey sweet and not as alcohol potent as most other meads.