overall
Brewed by Malt Shovel Brewery (Lion Nathan Co.)
Style: Pilsener
Sydney, Australia

RATINGS: 169   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The key to the distinctive flavour is the use of quality ingredients. Using a much higher hopping level than most Australian Lagers, James Squire Pilsener is brewed with Czech Saaz and New Zealand Belgian Saaz aroma hops to produce the pronounced floral spicy finish and the wonderful herbaceous aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
rgrep (156) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - FEB 7, 2003
Spicy hop aroma with floral notes. It has rounded hop bitterness, especially in the finish, and this is balanced by the malt characteristics that grow from the light body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dubs (117) - St Peters, NSW, AUSTRALIA - DEC 18, 2002
Well, I seemed to like this fans and airconditioners. Saaz is perfectly attended to. Yes, I see dubs, better than Urquell...?...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Catadobe (112) - AUSTRALIA - DEC 9, 2002
Now i must admit I have been quite harsh towards Lion Nathan but this is quite a great beer, I enjoy all the Malt Shovel brews....They do have a habit of giving me a headache while drinking them, might be quite a high sugar content.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
johninmelb (1127) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - SEP 9, 2002
My favourite of the James Squire stable with the possible exception of the India Pale Ale. A nice, easy drinking pilsener, but still maintaining that JS tang that annoys me a little.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
LoveABeer (141) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - SEP 8, 2002
Very Impressive! Loved the taste, great body, easy on the palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 4, 2002
When is a pils not a pils ? - maybe when it’s a JS pils. This is a beer with real taste and flavour compared to nearly every other of the 42 pils I have rated so far. In fact if this is a pils, then I will have to change my mid about pils as a style. Pours a very faintly hazy glorious medium-deep gold with a large size, medium lasting creamy white head and generates some lace as well. Floral honey malt fruity nectar and a very faint touch of yeast and soap aroma. Decent chewy meaty body with a nicely balanced bitter sweet palate. Flavours are predominantly fruity floral nectar but there is plenty of hop bitterness and a nice spicey tang there as well with all lasting long and well into the finish and aftertaste. This one has just become my favourite Aussie beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
grant60 (185) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JUN 21, 2002
good head, it lasted to the end. a bitter bite, and flavoursome. i like my beer paler in colour though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JUN 16, 2002
Sweet honeyed aroma. Malty start with a touch of nuttiness but too bitter for me at the end. Has the same kind of unsophisticated bitterness as many standard Australian lagers & isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
maestro (36) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - MAY 17, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2003 Beautiful looking pale pils style beer. Great taste but for me, a little heavy on the hops. While this is true to style there is a balance and I am not sure that they have it quite right with this pils. Still, great beer, great drink, great value.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Linc (739) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAY 15, 2002
This one pleased all my senses but my tastebuds, I have to admit that I am not familiar with the pilsener style, but the malt is not as clean tasting as I expected, and the hoppy palate seems overdone. Where did that honey get lost between the smell and the taste?