overall
Brewed by Jever (Oetker Group)
Style: Pilsener
Jever, Germany

RATINGS: 1012   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Unique in taste. The secret lies in the water, which is still taken from the same well used well over 100 years ago. The water from our well is unusually pure and soft. That allows us to add a touch more hops to create the Friesian-bitter taste that distinguishes Jever Pilsner from any other beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bluevegie (3065) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - DEC 17, 2005
Not quite golden in body with a big beaded white head. Some rings of lacing. Soft bitterness, well carbonated, grainy, dry, reminds me a little of James Squire Pilsener. I have had some great Pilseners but this isnít exactly one of them, but it is different and it does grow on you.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 14, 2005
Yellow/gold with a thin bubbly white head. Smells of clay, aluminum and flowers. Taste is peppery with some brown sugar notes and a grassy finish. Donít know what to make of this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2416) - California, USA - DEC 14, 2005
Michael Jackson wrote that this is a world classic. It might be when itís fresh. Very clear golden body with a big white head. As clear as water. Fine for the style. Aroma is Bavarian or something close hops with a hint of bread. Has a really bitter finish for the style. If they imperialized this it would be undrinkable, but as it is I think itís an interesting Pilsner, which is rare. Eventually Iíll sample this next to Pilsner Urquell and decide which is better...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
EithCubes (5194) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 11, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 9, 2006 Only had a single bottle, so Iím willing to give it another chance. Unique taste is absolutely right terminology ... though Iím not really a fan of the "Jever" bitterness. Aftertaste is a bit off, too. [2.0]

Update: Did try this again. One of the hoppiest, bitterest Pilsners youíre likely to find in Germany. Still, canít see myself drinking this much in the future. [2.6]

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
johninmelb (1127) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - DEC 2, 2005
Bottle. Smell is a bit daunting - a little too much old socks. Clour, fizz and head are exactly what youíd want form a pilsener. Mouthfeel is gentle if fizzy and it goes down well with a bitter finish that doesnít overpower, but itís a little plain and a little pedestrian for my tastes. I think I may just be going off all forms of lager.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kwik-lime (1458) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 1, 2005
Good pils. Big pils head that lasts well, nice hoppy character but not ovely bitter. Nice stuff. My bottle was perhaps a touch skunky.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jdjuice (398) - Kumamoto, JAPAN - NOV 27, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2006 Pours a nice gold with normal pilsener head. Has probably one of the nicest hop characters in a beer, its the main flavor, but its not too overpowering. Aroma was skunky for some reason, could have just been my bottle. Not as refreshing as I would like my pilsener, not something you could easily drink multiple bottles of, which is a bad thing for a pilsener in my book. Still a quality beer though.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
patrick767 (3718) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - NOV 13, 2005
12 oz bottle - The ratings led me to believe this would be a pretty decent brew, but Iím really not impressed. Like most pilsners Iíve had, the flavor is weak. This one has a stronger aftertaste than most, but itís not a pleasant aftertaste. Itís not that itís too bitter. I enjoy some considerably more bitter beers. The aftertaste just seems off somehow. I donít know, maybe my bottle was old. There are too many great beers out there to bother with this one again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - NOV 11, 2005
On tap at the GingerMan NYC. Clear light golden color with a small sudsy white head. Hoppy, earthy aroma with some metallic hints. Dry, hoppy flavor with some bready malt and again that metallic annoyance. Decent, but whereas I can usually drink quite a few good pilseners, I could never drink two of these.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
darkko (99) - Kingsport, Tennessee, USA - NOV 11, 2005
This brew is VERY bitter. But that is how I like it. Nice gold color. Had it in a bottle in Germany. Very nice beer.