John Harvards Highlander Scotch Ale
     click to upload

Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.4/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
egajdzis (5194) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2006 Poured a copper color with a small, light tan head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of peat, caramel, nuts, and toffee malts. Taste of chocolate, some caramel malts, light citrus, and a dry, smokey finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DocLock (7481) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2005
Draft at Wayne, PA. Pours burnt sienna, with aroma of malt, cognac, caramel. Tastes caramel malty, with brown sugar, some hops, cognac, and slight licorice in the finish. Medium palate.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4547) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 29, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2007 I have had this one several times at the Monroeville PA location. Draft only this beer pours a chestnut color with only a very small white head. The aroma is malty and has a bit of an alcohol burn to it. The flavor is strong in alcohol burn on the front then mellow out to a nice malty, almost herby and hoppy finish. I think if the alcohol were less noticeable I could really get into this one, but every time I take a sip it reminds me of bourbon. While I happen to like bourbon, it is not what I am looking for in a beer.