overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 1211   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
This delicious farmhouse ale is named for our Jack Russell, who struck by a car, bounced back in fine tenacious Jack Russell fashion, and is brewed for those of us who knocked down, have picked up, dusted off and carried on undaunted. Golden, naturally cloudy, bottle conditioned and dry hopped for a perfectly refreshing balance of spicy malts, hops and yeast. Please enjoy our beers in good health, And look both ways when crossing the street!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
lovemyipas (544) - nw burbs, Illinois, USA - FEB 26, 2007
pours a dark cloudy yellow orange with a two finger fluffy white head. aroma is of horse barn, malt, and hops. light to medium body with ok lacing and some carbonation. flavor is funk, malt, and grain with some hops mixed in. also has a sour taste to it which ruins it for me. has a small dry hop aftertaste and noticed a lot of sediment floating around. very different from my normal beers- it is ok but not my style and is ok compared to other styles i have rated. i also noticed a little orange rind in the aroma and flavor as it warmed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
afterglow (1047) - Florida, USA - FEB 24, 2007
Sampled on tap @ Ybor Beer Fest 2007. Poured a cloudy golden color with a large white head that left great lacing. Aroma of malt, spicy hops, and slight acidity. Taste is nice tart and spicy. Very dry mouthfeel and extremely refreshing. This is an amazing beer that you can drink all the time without getting too drunk. One of my favorites from Jolly Pumpkin.

TURDFERGUSON (4028) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 23, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2007 Bottle from Liquid Solutions. Smells like JP. Orange with big fucking huge small-bubbled white head. Maybe a little over-carbonated. I dont know shit. Spicey, bready, orval-like nose with hints of broken vacuum cleaner. Ugh. Kinda tastes like orval too, but this much drier. I feel like this brewski just has way too much carbonation and the dry hops only make this brew drier and less tasty, in my opinion. I spent a fortune on shipping from LS and this is what I get. A poor choice and my least favorite JP so far. 8.3.7.3.13 ------&# Having had several more bottles recently, I am beginning to see the nuances of this beer that I feel like I was missing before. Everything balances so well and the flavor is so full for such a low alcohol beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - FEB 20, 2007
12 oz bottle. Poured a hazy golden color. Head was big and bubbly with good retention and lacing. Aroma is yeasty bread dough accented by coriander and citrus. Like all of the Jolly Pumkins I’ve tried so far, this one is extremely effervescent. Acidic and prickly up front eventually giving way to a softer citrusy orange flavor. Finishes with a touch of wet stone. Decent, but not great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MrBendo (1064) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - FEB 18, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2009 Thanks to Silphium for the bottle. Hazy straw color with large head. Head turns rocky, and has fair lacing. Aroma is spicy belgian yeast and sweet malts. Taste is fairly tart with black pepper, lemon zest and sweet malts. Signature JP brett overtones throughout. Light to medium body. tangy texture. Slightly acidic finish. Good stuff!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pantanap (3366) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 17, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 27, 2007 12oz bottle…poured dull and golden, clearer than the calabaza blanca. full white head with a champagne like bubbly….aroma is grassy in nature…spicy and tart taste with a little bit of a hoppiness to it but not drawing too much attention to it. high carbonation as with most JP beer....i can see why people regard the Bam Bier as a decent session beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - FEB 16, 2007
Hazy dull gold, carbonated with a firm white head. Spicy citrus and yeast aroma. Very tart and rather bitter. A little thin in body. Clean and quenching.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
DeuceDeuceOU (51) - Athens/Cleveland, Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2007
Typical Saison style, with a thick white frothy head and an abundance of carbonation. Very malty and a pinch of hop. A graet color, but not a fan of saisons. The palate is thin and the finish hase a bit of fruitiness to it, maybe apples. My favorite part was the aroma, very strong, withmore hop aroma than taste. My first JP.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
LinusStick (3073) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 13, 2007
My first saison and what a door it opened. This is a unique and different type of beer. I love dogs so the story of the Jack Russell made me think about my own dog who has bone cancer and loves beer as much as I do. The pour was a carbonated gold with a huge half glass head that painted the glass. The aroma was like a Belgian. Spicy and yeast. The taste was very different. Spicy, sour and hoppy. Very dry and very good. My eyes are opened!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hotstuff (4643) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 13, 2007
Bottle conditioned. Huge white fizzy and then frothy head that was mostly lasting, minimal lacing, fizzy carbonation, transparent on the first pour and cloudy on the second pour, and a straw yellow hue. Nose was malty, spicy, sweet and mildly hoppy. Flavor was thin, spicy, malty, sweet, and mildly hoppy tasting. Mouthfeel was smooth and thin. Light-medium body. Nicely done for the style and worthy of a try.