overall

RATINGS: 592   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Autumn Fire
Ale brewed with chestnut and spices
To catch a bit of soft radiance in each special bottle, we wait for fall colors to begin their bright and fleeting glow before brewing this wonderful ale under their autumn fire. Gentle amber malts lead smooth caramel notes, gently lapping against a shore of distant forgotten spice. A beer to contemplate and enjoy!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TrappistenOli (320) - Bern, SWITZERLAND - OCT 15, 2013
Bernstein, trüb, eichenfasslagerung und säure schön im aroma, ausgewogene säure ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
falco242 (319) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAY 25, 2013
UPDATED: FEB 9, 2014 Little bit of a farmhouse smell with notes of the oak and wild yeast. Hazy golden pour with some lace. Fantastic blend of fruit with a subtle spice and the sourness is not overwhelming but makes the beer brilliant. Great palate and overall awesome beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
santos999 (318) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 4, 2008
One of the best smelling American beers I’ve had in a long time. Very gueuze-ish in aroma. Tart apples and oranges, quite funky and bretty. Like a stinky old cheese covered in mold! The taste is a bit of a letdown after the beautiful nose, basically a tamed version of it. The brett is a surprisingly quiet for JP, while the malt flavors balance the spice out perfectly. Do I also sense a bit of hoppiness dancing with the acidic and tart nature of of the yeast? Hmm. Interesting! The aftertaste is very akin to that of mineral water, which kept me sipping for a long time. Not my favorite from JP, but still quite enjoyable. EDIT!: I went downstairs to finish the second half of the bottle, and found that with the yeast added to the glass it’s a different monster altogether. I had to bump the appearance (because the lacing was so freaking beautiful) the taste (because it got SO much more intense), and the overall (because I loved it).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
craig220 (313) - Crofton, Maryland, USA - FEB 3, 2013
Poured a cloudy amber color with a big and fluffy eggshell colored head. Aroma is nuts, raisin, banana, caramel, cinnamon, ginger, floral, and spice. Taste is mint, raisin, apple, banana, nuts, floral, with a very faint pine. Dry finish, almost like a red wine. Pretty interesting and refreshing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Markm2151 (280) - toledo, USA - FEB 5, 2012
apricot flavor, no aroma. Off tan head. Not much flavor, almost sour, reminded me of a sour beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jkaiser (279) - Orlando, Florida, USA - MAY 24, 2009
This beer was on of the many casualities for me at beerfest. I was to gone to truly enjoy the gems I had com across. Maybe next time

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
UnsofistaCat (239) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - MAY 28, 2007
As expected this was a foam monster. Pouring this thing was challenging to the point of ridicules. Huge rocky head that refused to dissipate. Even when I put the bottle down, with it still ¾ full, odd bubbles were foaming out of the bottle reminiscent of frog eggs and making a mess on my coffee table. The beer itself was beautiful looking-the color reminding me of the river in the U.P. called Smith’s Creek: Amber but almost glowing. This one was a bit bitterer then I thought. It had the usual apple tasting brett but something seemed a little out of wack. Green apple, hops, and oaky. The backend taste of chestnuts actually had a slight unlikable plastic trait to it. I didn’t dig this Jolly Pumpkin as much as I do others. However, its entirely possible I just wasn’t in the mood for it and will try it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
brainlair (236) - Maryland, USA - JUN 18, 2010
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2010 750mL bottle, batch 335, rated July 18, 2010. Pours a hazy amber with some off-white head. Aroma has cherries, chocolate, toffee, some raisins and some sour funk. Flavor has lots of orange peel, oak, gentle sour funk, caramel malt and sweet cherries. Finish is mildly bitter citrus peel with a bit of sweet fruit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
floydslip (232) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 14, 2014
Hazy orange-amber beer with a nice thick foamy white head that lasts. Sour nose of yeast, lemongrass, grains of paradise, and coriander. Flavor is definitely on the sour side with lemon, mirin, and rice wine vinegar followed by a hint of bitterness and light spice. I do not taste the chestnut at all, which is disappointing. Still, pretty decent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Quasimodo (217) - chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 20, 2012
Dry and tart. Oak aged. Maybe some Brett? Reminds me of Roddenbach with some added apricot, chestnut and nutmeg. Thin body. The flavor is nice, but a little on the weak side. Not my favorite Jolly, but still nice.