overall

RATINGS: 799   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
A Belgian inspired stout that is as dark as a moonless midnight, brimming of roasted malts and bitter hops. It will keep you good company in all places, be thay light or dark.

xav33 (313) - Midland, MI, Michigan, USA - MAY 13, 2007
Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura 750 ml bottle Moderate pour in a goblet and tulip glass Released January í07, plunged into 05/07 Poured black with a large mostly lasting rocky and fluffy light brown head and good lacing. Smelt of strong coffee, dark chocolate, clean fresh oak, sour grapes and cherries, bandaids, and lighter notes of different variations of the above. You could say licorice, plums, tar, or even frigging rainbows, because as dark as this is, it even smells like rainbows. A very evil rainbow. Taste was upfront strong to harsh sour dark fruit, like concord grape skins or cherries or and moderate roast and burnt malt followed by strong bitter and sourness, touches of oak, and coffee, and bliss, on a long finish. Palate was medium bodied, slightly oily on a slightly dry finish, lively carbonated, and lightly puckering. Overall, itís a refreshing summer stout! Sour and feels light bodied. A huge palate punch that makes you turn the other cheek and beg for more. Magical. Dark Magic. Mommy!

oberabcbbsok (687) - Hoboken, BELGIUM - MAY 19, 2007
One of the most complex stouts I ever tasted. The taste of coffee is the first impression. A very nice full bodied beer. I am impressed by it

jstraw (1937) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 20, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2014 2013 Bottle. Black with big, foamy cappuccino head / Sour nose of green apple, dark fruit, cigar box, roast coffee / Medium body, tart & acidic, with good balance and on the excellent, bitter finish / Flavors of malt, green apples, cherries, dark roast coffee, molasses, cigar box, bittersweet chocolate, horse blanket / More brewing genius from JP.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
pras (490) - Maryland, USA - FEB 25, 2012
Like others have said, the only thing stout about this beer is the color. Well, not true. I got some smoky dark flavors along with the balanced sourness. I really like the brewery and wish it was more available in my parts.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SPDickerman (989) - Texas, USA - NOV 2, 2012
Blend 5 - January 21, 2011. Pours pitch black with a tiny, super fizzy head. Smells sour, hints of chocolate, and a touch of roast bitterness. Taste is very subtle roast bitter that moves almost immediately to sourness. Medium bodied, smooth, and fizzy mouth-carbonation, Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura finishes with a dry, sourness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
jayzz (395) - Illinois, USA - MAR 22, 2014
I love this beer. It is a sour stout. Incredible sour cherry stout aroma and dark brown color. I loved drinking this beer. I didnít know stouts could taste light a dark rich sour beer. Love it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
santos999 (318) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 19, 2008
What a freaking beautiful beer. Perfect export stout. The funky JP aromas and flavors mixing with the sweetness of the stout is just brilliant. The nose is very roasty, with hints of bread, wine, funky cheese, molasses, brett, and loads of choclate and fresh roasted coffee. In the mouth it tastes practically identical to a Guinness Foreign Export Stout that I picked up in Bermuda and aged for 2 years. Super vinous and fruity, with tons of sweetness and a great sour funk. And to finish things off nicely, there is the perfect hint of an alcohol heat. Almost a marriage between a traditional Imperial Stout and an new school Oud Bruin, am I right? Sam Smithís Imperial Stout meets Petrus Oud Bruin. And that is not a bad thing at all. I can not get enough Jolly Pumpkin. Iíll say it again, best Belgian themed brewery in the states, no question about it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Tero (42) - FINLAND - DEC 31, 2012
Roasty, coffee, black, minimal head, medium bitterness, heavily sour, full body, bitter, long finish. Love this beer I do.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
kilbaner06 (11) - - APR 16, 2013
Pours a rich dark color, has a slight sour note to the aroma. Smokey taste with a sour finish, a fantastic beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
UnsofistaCat (238) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - MAY 28, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 8, 2007 I donít know why but I really judge a stout heavily by its appearance. Maybe there is a connection to the first time I saw the beauty of a perfect nitro pour of Guinness. I was curious if the mad scientist Ron would be able to meet my appearance standards of a stout. I wasnít let down. Perfect tan head. Dark and smooth like, as if it didnít come from a bottle but the nitro keg I earlier mentioned. Wow does this have a great mouth feel. mouth feel, like appearance, means a lot to me when drinking a stout or porter. Ron hit a homerun in this department. (I name drop Ron as if weíre bowling team buddies or something). Next step: Can I handle what I know is going to be a sour stout. Yes sir I can. On the front end is such a tasty roasted malt taste. The back end seems to be dominated by brett but somewhat offset by the smooth mouth feel. Not present is that overblown hop crazy Imperial Stout taste I simply donít like. The 8 percent alcohol is completely masked. Then, at the very end, returns a quick flash of roasted malt again. A great beer. RERATE Wow. I actually had this on tap in Ann Arbor. My god its good. This may very well be my favorite beer of all time.