overall

RATINGS: 1207   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Artisan Golden Ale. Ale aged in oak barrels. Barrel aged & bottle conditioned. Aged in large oak casks and refermented in the bottle. Oro de Calabaza is brewed in the Franco-Belgian tradition of special golden ales. Spicy and peppery with a gentle hop bouquet and the beguiling influence of wild yeast. Please enjoy our beers in good health, Cheers and Mahalo plenty!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hangover (1107) - Atlanta, Alabama, USA - MAY 29, 2006
Slightly cloudy orange pour with a huge fizzy white head. Aroma is very tart, with some fruit and yeast. Definite double take on the taste. What is this? Very carbonated with an apple blast up front. Very fruity and you can catch just the faintest bit of alcohol and oak/wood after the granny apple fades. Crisp finish. Very agressive beer, but a bit outside of what I prefer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - MAY 28, 2006
Bottle. Golden, hazy color w/ a huge, fluffy head. The description says it all- spicy and peppery. Additionally, a mild sour note in the finish. A good beer. Like the other JP brews I’ve had, very well crafted.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - MAY 26, 2006
Had a bottle of this earlier this week. Rich spicy & fruity nose. Abundant yeast tones. Heavy citrus, smells like a Belgian white to me. Oh, I forgot all about this. When I opened the bottle, I went to stick my nose near the opening for a sniff, and NEARLY got a face full of foam as it erupted out of the bottle and spilled all over my kitchen floor. The bottle continued it’s spunkfission until I was able to snap myself out a state of surprise and amazement, and decided to pour. The brew pours a hazy golden with yeast “floaties”. The tall white foamy head resembles shaving cream. It is fully lasting and leaves behind great lace. The flavor is sweet and tangy with high acidity. The brisk finish is complete with pepper and no shortage of “bite”. The light and creamy body is lively. As a side note, even after my first glass, the brew continued it’s slow “eruption” like magma from a sadistic volcano. I noticed big hunks of spuged head adorning the side of the bottle where it had overflowed and run-off. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anything like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Darkover (1534) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 25, 2006
Clear golden color with a huge white head. Aroma of yeast, spices and lemon. Flavor of yeast, pepper, citrus and a little wood.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
aracauna (3457) - Georgia, USA - MAY 18, 2006
This one lacks some of the depth of some of the others, although they all seem to be missing something I can’t put my finger on. Pleasant tartness. Good fruitiness. Peppery spice. I’m not sure what it is that I want this beer to have that it doesn’t have.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - MAY 18, 2006
Bottle via trade with zathrus13. "11/05 "hand written on the crown. GUSHER! About ten minutes later I’ve cleaned the room up a bit, the whole room smells like a spicy Belgian yeast and the bottle is sitting in the bath tub where it sits in a pool of murky golden liquid with reddish colored chunks in it. Despite what I’d usually consider to be a sign of infection the beer actually smells pretty good; yeasty with a lot of spices, slight clove and apple notes too. TART apple flavors with some lemony notes. Hints of banana, straw, grain of paradise(?) and some oranges. Very effervescent, like champagne. Extremely dry finish, actually makes you thirsty!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
WisconsinBeer (716) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - MAY 11, 2006
Light on the palate and slightly fizzy. A little bit of sour fruit, hints of grape juice, wine, and yeast. Alcohol provides a slight dryness. Hints of pepper. This beer also has a little bit of that brett quality that you find in some Belgian beers. Not a bad beer, but seems a little bit raw.

TomDecapolis (4618) - Milton, Delaware, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Thanks to Axilla. Pours a slighty hazy golden orange with a small white bubbly head. Aroma was sour, spicy with yeast and some citrus and various fruits. Flavor was tart, citrus, yeast and other various spices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
stegosaurus (1882) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 2, 2006
Bottle sampled with Beerded_one. Pours golden with a large billowing white head, becareful it may go over the top. Aroma of citrus, fruit, spices, and yeast. Flavor is sweet, smooth, spices, citrus, fruitiness. Good body, impressive beer for a style i am not a fan of.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mkgrenwel (605) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - APR 30, 2006
One of those beers where the first sip really blows me away and takes me a second to wrap my head around. Flavors of lemon, pear, corriander and other spices. Lots of brett funk, including a nice sourness in the finish. A beer that really plays on your palate. The flavors seem to move around, come together, separate, etc. I don’t know how they do this, but it is great. Manages to be quite sweet, but also finishes dry. Nice thick coating mouthfeel, but ultimately light and airy. Not sure how either of these contradictions work, but they do. The thing that really blows me away is how fresh it tastes. Typically, a funky brett style belgian like this tastes musty and old (in good way). This one manages to stay rich and explosive. Very impressive beer.