overall

RATINGS: 1191   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Artisan Golden Ale. Ale aged in oak barrels. Barrel aged & bottle conditioned. Aged in large oak casks and refermented in the bottle. Oro de Calabaza is brewed in the Franco-Belgian tradition of special golden ales. Spicy and peppery with a gentle hop bouquet and the beguiling influence of wild yeast. Please enjoy our beers in good health, Cheers and Mahalo plenty!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUN 2, 2006
750 mL bottle, snifter. A frothy and audible white head slowly descends upon a hazy, deep golden-peach hued body with steady carbonation. The aroma is immediately stunning and captivating. The spicy tartness of crushed mustard seed blends seamlessly into clove and banana esters. Cereal and bread malts find companionship in pepper and ginger root. Unmistakable barnyard and leather yeast esters are intoxicating but never dominant. A lemon and pineapple fruitiness merges into a subtle earthiness, no doubt due to the hops and oak. The aroma is all over the map and I can’t find a single odor I dislike. I only wish it could be a little more pungent and spicy. The flavor immediately reveals rich bready malts and smooth fruity esters balanced by a moderate tartness and a light dusty feeling. The transition to the finish is smooth and yet it seems like an entirely different beer. Striking sour and tart, with a slight funk, lemon tones come to the forefront along with a robust spiciness. The semi-drying aftertaste seems to go on indefinitely. There’s an extreme tightness to the flavor here, absolutely no mess and no slopiness. The mouthfeel is near-full and quite velvety, yet the intense carbonation keeps everything moving along right on pace. I would simply die if I had a Reuben to pair with this right now.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Quevillon (2748) - Boisbriand, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 2, 2006
Bu au Mondial de la Bière 06. Belle jaune voilé, petit collet. Arome d’agrume assé fort. Goût très amère, peu d’agrume.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Beerdedone (3112) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 1, 2006
Bottle sampled with Stegosaurus. Pours golden with a white head. Aroma of citrusy fruit and yeast. Flavor is overly sweet,citrus, and fruit. I wasn’t crazy about this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
vyvvy (5137) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - MAY 30, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2008 Pours hazy golden with a small head that leaves quite quickly. Aroma is citrus - tart lemon. There is also vanilla bean in the aroma, I assume that is from the barrell aging. Medium bodied with light carbonation. Lemony and oaky flavors dominate the beer. There is also some sour apple taste going on. The finish is also very tart and oaky. A nice beer, but not something I would want to have on a daily basis. (7/3/7/3/15 - 3.5) <P> Rerate notes: The aroma has what is stated above along with graininess, oak, earthy hops and lots of funk. The head is large here and much more persistent. I’m not getting much lemon as noted in previous review, this has more of a smooth nectar fruit aspect. The oak is there. The finish has tartness, but some vanilla sweetness that strikes me as some aging in bourbon barrels. Very well made, but far from my fave from the brewery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hangover (1100) - Atlanta, Alabama, USA - MAY 29, 2006
Slightly cloudy orange pour with a huge fizzy white head. Aroma is very tart, with some fruit and yeast. Definite double take on the taste. What is this? Very carbonated with an apple blast up front. Very fruity and you can catch just the faintest bit of alcohol and oak/wood after the granny apple fades. Crisp finish. Very agressive beer, but a bit outside of what I prefer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - MAY 28, 2006
Bottle. Golden, hazy color w/ a huge, fluffy head. The deScription says it all- spicy and peppery. Additionally, a mild sour note in the finish. A good beer. Like the other JP brews I’ve had, very well crafted.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - MAY 26, 2006
Had a bottle of this earlier this week. Rich spicy & fruity nose. Abundant yeast tones. Heavy citrus, smells like a Belgian white to me. Oh, I forgot all about this. When I opened the bottle, I went to stick my nose near the opening for a sniff, and NEARLY got a face full of foam as it erupted out of the bottle and spilled all over my kitchen floor. The bottle continued it’s spunkfission until I was able to snap myself out a state of surprise and amazement, and decided to pour. The brew pours a hazy golden with yeast “floaties”. The tall white foamy head resembles shaving cream. It is fully lasting and leaves behind great lace. The flavor is sweet and tangy with high acidity. The brisk finish is complete with pepper and no shortage of “bite”. The light and creamy body is lively. As a side note, even after my first glass, the brew continued it’s slow “eruption” like magma from a sadistic volcano. I noticed big hunks of spuged head adorning the side of the bottle where it had overflowed and run-off. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anything like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Darkover (1532) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 25, 2006
Clear golden color with a huge white head. Aroma of yeast, spices and lemon. Flavor of yeast, pepper, citrus and a little wood.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
aracauna (3353) - Georgia, USA - MAY 18, 2006
This one lacks some of the depth of some of the others, although they all seem to be missing something I can’t put my finger on. Pleasant tartness. Good fruitiness. Peppery spice. I’m not sure what it is that I want this beer to have that it doesn’t have.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - MAY 18, 2006
Bottle via trade with zathrus13. "11/05 "hand written on the crown. GUSHER! About ten minutes later I’ve cleaned the room up a bit, the whole room smells like a spicy Belgian yeast and the bottle is sitting in the bath tub where it sits in a pool of murky golden liquid with reddish colored chunks in it. Despite what I’d usually consider to be a sign of infection the beer actually smells pretty good; yeasty with a lot of spices, slight clove and apple notes too. TART apple flavors with some lemony notes. Hints of banana, straw, grain of paradise(?) and some oranges. Very effervescent, like champagne. Extremely dry finish, actually makes you thirsty!