J.T. Whitneys Old Ale

(RETIRED)

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.28/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15   SEASONAL: Winter   ABV: -

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
phishpond417 (2088) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 15, 2008
Sampled on draught at the pub- Pours a clear but dark reddish brown colour with a medium sized beige head. Aroma was pleasent, sweet of apples, raisins, almonds and maple syrup. Flavors were generous of caramel malt, and toffee. Decent beer overall.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - MAR 21, 2008
Draft at the brewpub. Poured a clear dark orange/brown color. Head was light tan and left some lace behind. Aroma was of brown sugar, light alcohol, and apple. Smelled a bit like cheap malt liquor. Although I had expected none, there was mild bitterness. The flavor was earthy with dirt covered potato and other root stock. There was also a bit of nondescript spice and a hint of raisin. Not a whole lot of personality, most of the flavors were understated. So so at best.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chimpscampee (566) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 21, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 3, 2008 I prefer this old ale to many I’ve tried by some big name micro brewers. I do not know how the old batches turned out but they just came out with a new batch that is great. Not a style I really like but I sure like this. It reminds me of sierra nevada big foot barley wine in some respects. This and the gran crue, barley wine and smoke porter are quite impressive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Brigadier (2890) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - DEC 28, 2006
On tap at JT Whitney’s

For my birthday I hit up the local brewpub to try a few things which I’ve yet to sample. It is a decent place with drinkable beer though nothing that will change your world. Still, if you happen to be in Madison it is worth a stop for lunch and a sampler tray. This was my first pour and probably the best of the three.

Aroma / Appearance - After waiting a few minutes for the ice cold glass to thaw, I finally ventured a sniff. The nose was an interesting mixture of cherries, caramel, malt, honey and musty old bookshelves. The one finger cream colored head rested on top of a translucent brown body which started dark. As the light filtered to the bottom it became lighter, ending with a hazel tone at the base.

Flavor / Palate - A strong bitter and malty impression hit the senses first. After that came some hoppiness which was layered on a caramel and resin foundation. The finish was a combination of malt battered cherries and fresh tea leaves with maple syrup in the background. Overall this was a pretty decent session beer though nothing that will set a benchmark for the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Far and away my favorite of the samples I tried here, this poured very thick and viscous, with a thick off-white head and a dark cherry/alchol nose. Rich, malty, bitter-chocolate, syrupy, cherry undertones, some floral/herbal (tarragon and bitter herbs) hints towards the finish.