Just Beer Flip Flop Summer Ale

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.34/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01   SEASONAL: Summer   ABV: -
Summer is a time of color. Days on the beach and weekends fishing brings out the bronze in all of us. So why not in our summer brew? This nicely bronzed summer ale is loaded with 4 malts and a touch of oats then slathered with Sorachi dry hopping for a delicious lemon zesty aroma. Available in 22oz bottles or growlers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
j12601 (6585) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - JUL 16, 2011
Bottle at Just Beer. Pours a hazed amber with a thin white head. Toast and earthy, lightly musky, touches of citrus. Nice Sorachi Ace notes. Earthy malt, toast and more malt. Nice spicy malt notes, citrus and lemon with an earthy finish. Nice stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Glouglouburp (5929) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 22, 2010
Possible confusion alert. I had the Just Beer Flip Flop and Just Beer Moby D one after the other. The Flip Flop (the Amber Ale) was more hoppy, extra-refreshing and paler. A true Pale Ale for me. Then I had the Moby D (the Pale Ale) which was darker, less refreshing and less hoppy. A true Amber Ale for me. I suspect there might have been a mix-up with the bottle labels. Either that or Just Beer have a funny interpretation of the styles. I am reviewing the beer as they were labelled and not what I think they should have been

In short: A refreshing smooth hoppy ale with soft caramel and a ton of fruity hops. Very nice.
How: Bottle 22oz. Consumed fresh the day after purchase
The look: Clear golden body topped by a small beige head
In long: Nose is vibrant with fruity hops. Smells refreshing. Taste is very clean. A solid toasted cake malts backbone with lots of fruit flavors. Very hoppy but nothing aggressive in the bitterness. This is juicy and refreshing hopping on top of a smooth nourishing caramelized malt backbone. A bit of resinous in the after-taste. Don’t let the generic “amber ale” category fools you. This beer almost compares to Green Flash Hop Head Red, another so-called amber ale. And all bombers from this brewery are dirt cheap. If I was a local from this area on a tight budget I would drink just Just Beer beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MaBeer1972 (1246) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 22, 2010
Bottled version. Pours out a light amber color. Light carbonation. Aroma is sweet and malty. Flavor is toasty bread with a assertive hop finish. Finishes a bit too sticky for my linking. Decent, but not really my thing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
halfonit (1129) - Fall River, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 21, 2010
Bottles available only at Chancellors in Fall River, MA! Pours a deep golden color. Aroma is of hops, grass, and other earthy floral scents. Flavor is pretty much the same but a little watered down. Overall it’s not too bad, more session-able.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
auerbrau (3125) - Peace Dale, Rhode Island, USA - JUN 12, 2010
On tap at the brewery. Coppery aroma of tangy hop acids, a nip of isovaleric and some crystal malt. Pours a darkened rusty copper with a little off-white head. Flavors were punchy and bright, but a little uneven. The hop flavor was a bit metallic and overloaded with stale tea. Caramels pick up, but they’re a bit too sweet for me. Palate seemed too thick and sweet for me. Maybe just not right for the season. Not flawed, but not awesome.