J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at J.W. Lees
Style: Barley Wine
Middleton, England

RATINGS: 481   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Only available filtered and pasteurised in bottles.
Matured in wooden casks of Lagavulin Malt Whiskey, one of the most distinctive malt whisky from the island of Islay, characterized by the strong peaty notes which should blend with the Harvest Ale to give an explosion of flavors.
This fully fermented ale has been brewed by JW Lees as a celebration of the brewersí art. Harvest Ale can be enjoyed now or laid down like a fine wine for enjoyment to come.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - JUN 16, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 2, 2004 Poured a clear light orange with a medium cream colored head. Has a big fruity, cereal, grain aroma. Not until I tasted it did I realize what the aroma was. The taste is, to me, like sweet BBQ. Smoky sweet flavor. Interesting but definitely a sipper.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
5000 (6300) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - JUN 16, 2004
Bottle pours an amazingly transparent orangish amber, small fizzly white head, soft carbonation, with respectable lacing. † Aroma is slightly woody, but heavy on the alcohol. † It has a slight medicinal aroma which I hope doesnít show on the tongue. † WOW! † This is amazingly smooth... the 11.5% ABV is not dectable at all! † Woody notes dominate this one. † Slightly sweet, slightly malty, with hints of honey, caramel, salted butter, and squash. † Soft, velvetly mouthfeel. † Finish is quick and crisp. † This can be dangerously too easy to drink quickly. † Iím still amazed as to how smooth this one is. † Big thanks to jeffc666 for the trade!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 15, 2004
Viscous pour and deep golden body with lethargic carbonation and a sudsy white head. Nose of honey, grain, oak, whiskey, smoke, and alcohol. Strong elements of smoke in the flavor plus some soy qualities, honey and kerosene. This would make a good meat rub. Syrupy mouthfeel. Interesting, unique and complex but I wouldnít go out of my way for this (or spend $8 for a 9 oz. bottle). Thanks to MR548.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
FlacoAlto (3810) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 12, 2004
Pours a bright deep copper color. It pours with not head, but when roused it forms a tan head. This is quite thick, as I hold it up to the light you can see that the carbonation bubbles are visibly slowed by this viscous substance in my glass. The smell is of salt, scotch, thick malts, alcohol, and butter. I was expecting some smoked peat malt aromas, but I donít detect any. The taste is thick and sweet, with a heartiness and something like a saltiness, which gives this beer a full figured mouthfeel. This is definitely quite tasty, and is a beer that demands to be sipped.

The beer is quite fruity, with notes of concentrated apple, and perhaps a hint of apricot as well. You can taste the alcohol in the finish as well as a bit of tannin, which is probably from the cask conditioning. If I had to guess, I would say that the Scotch adds a heartiness to this beer that compliments it quite well. I really wish I had been able to get more of these so I could age a few and see how they change over time. This is a very well integrated strong ale, just incredibly malty with a nice kiss of hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - JUN 9, 2004
Clear golden color with a small white head. The aroma was dominated by whiskey tones. The flavor was missing that huge sweetness found in the other Harvest Ales. Instead, there were some very distinctive leather, smoke, and soil tones with a large whiskey aftertaste. The feel was thick, syrupy, and sticky. My least favorite of the varieties.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - JUN 8, 2004
Clear apricot color with a medium white head. Smokey caramel, malt and sugar aroma. Strong smoke, leather and beef jerkey flavors dominate, with some sweet caramel, malt, raisin and alcohol. Not my favorite version.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 5, 2004
Pours a clear, golden orange hue with spotty head. Aromas of alcohol, hay and caramelized brown sugar with a slight spice to it.... no smokiness in the aromas. Not as peaty, in the flavor, as I like from a typical islay single malt, but itís there....THe texture if the brew is a little sticky with a slight bitterness going down. no wait....itís very sticky and as it warms, as I say with all beers, the flavors unfold. Lots of honey with a little spice come through but the finish on this beer is like ..... not a good islay malt scotch, but more like a blend. I can see this as being a great dessert brew.... but other than that, I will have to let my other bottle rest for a while and rate it another day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JUN 4, 2004
Bright golden with a wispy head. Alcohol, perfume, and a touch of peat in the aroma. Some dusty sweetness as well. Sticky sweet, which is not unexpected, with honey notes, but the tandem peat/medicinal blast renders this near drain pour. Yeeesh! If this is ever going to come together, it isnít going to be anytime soon.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
JCW (1275) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 4, 2004
At the risk of having my geek license revoked, I will tell you I didnít like this one. Appearance was fine, looked like liquor. Aroma had some wood to it, and syruppy sweetness, and medicine type aroma. Flavor wasnít overwelmingly sweet like some of the JW Leeís Harvest that Iíve had, but I didnít like what was there either. I think I perfer Listerine. Mouthfeel was viscous and sticky. Finish was slightly sweet. I might lay one of these down, but it wonít be me drinking it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hopscotch (9954) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUN 2, 2004
Sparkling clear amber ale with a small, creamy, off-white head. Ink-blot lacework. Malty, earthy nose with notes of oak, smoke, whiskey, honey and butterscotch. The flavor is very malty, but decently balanced with shots of caramel, whiskey, wood and smoke. Full-bodied with a syrupy mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Lengthy, full, sweet finish.