J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at J.W. Lees
Style: Barley Wine
Middleton, England

RATINGS: 475   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Only available filtered and pasteurised in bottles.
Matured in wooden casks of Lagavulin Malt Whiskey, one of the most distinctive malt whisky from the island of Islay, characterized by the strong peaty notes which should blend with the Harvest Ale to give an explosion of flavors.
This fully fermented ale has been brewed by JW Lees as a celebration of the brewers’ art. Harvest Ale can be enjoyed now or laid down like a fine wine for enjoyment to come.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
chaz01 (190) - Miamisburg, Ohio, USA - MAY 16, 2010
Generously shared out by the owner of Belmont Party Supplies in Dayton at a semi-private charity beer tasting event. According to him, this special cask was from a recent vintage from his private collection, originally poured from a small cask. Amber brown in color, very little head or carbonation detected -- instead this is rich, thick and syrupy looking. I hardly ever give a perfect rating in a category so that I can always leave room to rate something higher. But the aroma on this beer takes the cake! Just a wonderful whiskey, raisins, sherry, smoky and port aromas from this beer make me just want to sit and smell this beer. Sweet, smokey, malty with notes of sherry, port, vanilla and oak. Very complex flavor with so much going on. Low carbonation, very full bodied, thick and syrupy. I have a couple of bottles at home, but not sure if I’ll ever get to drink from the cask again. This was a real treat and the highlight of the evening. A very full bodied sipping beer to be broken out on very special occasions.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
scania (188) - Malmö, SWEDEN - NOV 18, 2006
Bottle. 2004 vintage. Deep ruby with small head. Smoky aroma as anticipated. Flavor is very (too) sweet and smoky.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Carl99Fan (187) - Suwanee, Georgia, USA - APR 26, 2007
2004 vintage. Very sweet, unlike any beer I have ever tasted. Wanted to toss after my first sip, then let sit for awhile. Better at room temperature, but still not a fan of this barley wine. I love me a single malt, and a nice barley wine, just not together.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
couchand (182) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - SEP 22, 2008
2k7 Bottling. Clear, thick blonde, some off-white head. Big malty smoky nose. Thick and malty, big peatiness, strong smoke, tastes of meat. Playful alcoholic notes. Almost cloying, not quite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BiochemProf (179) - Boone, North Carolina, USA - DEC 29, 2006
Almost no head, opaque amber pour. Aroma of sweet whiskey. Very light carbonation. Tastes much like a tawney port. Just not all that enjoyable to me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nightsky (176) - Lutz, Florida, USA - AUG 21, 2012
Brewed in 2005 Heavy aroma, smell of raisin and slightly of brown sugar. Appearance was ok but not great, no head. Bursting with flavor! Full and lush, it starts off very sweet, has hints of raisin and a subtle smokiness. Thick oily palate. Delicious

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
hippie4beer (162) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 20, 2006
Bottle. 2004. Pours a light ruby pink color with a very little head that faded as quick as it came. Aroma of fine sherry, oak, caramel, old grapes, and light hints of chocolate. Flavor is very sweet and smokey. Alcohol notes are predominant, but not harsh. Very smooth. Notes of caramel in the finish. This is medium bodied, and very slick. Nice beer, good for sipping. The more I drank it, the less I liked it honestly. I found it almost undrinkable at one point and refused to drink it anymore. There is too much charred oak taste for me. Good beer, just not my thing. Reminds me of SA Triple Bock.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
LePoopie (151) - Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 28, 2006
Has an odd aroma, kind of musty and antiseptic at the same time (it actually reminds me of the preservatives they use for pigs that you dissect in high school). Decent dark amber color with a white head. Quite sweet, but not as much as the Calvados. OK body with decent cabonation. The taste is kind of nice, but the aroma puts me off.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Uriel (146) - San Jose, California, USA - MAR 28, 2006
I wasn’t as fond of this one. It tasted very strongly of whiskey, highly pungent and alcoholic, antiseptic feel-taste. I’m not a whiskey person, so this one didn’t go over as well.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ordybill (144) - Douglasville, Georgia, USA - SEP 15, 2014
Poured from a 9.3 OZ bottle into a snifter. Aroma- Strong aroma of whiskey and some smokey malt Appearance- A strong brown colored brew with a lot of sediment Taste- pretty good whiskey flavor mixed with the smoke, pretty unique experience for me up to now. Palate- full bodied with a sticky texture Overall- First whiskey brew, not bad but I think this style will have to grown on me as I experience more of it.