J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin)

Formerly brewed at J.W. Lees
Style: Barley Wine
Middleton, England

RATINGS: 491   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Only available filtered and pasteurised in bottles.
Matured in wooden casks of Lagavulin Malt Whiskey, one of the most distinctive malt whisky from the island of Islay, characterized by the strong peaty notes which should blend with the Harvest Ale to give an explosion of flavors.
This fully fermented ale has been brewed by JW Lees as a celebration of the brewersí art. Harvest Ale can be enjoyed now or laid down like a fine wine for enjoyment to come.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
nqualls (1452) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 7, 2009

Source:2004 bottle.
Glass:North coast snifter.
Appearance:Clear orange pour with no head.
Aroma:Scotch...thatís it.
Flavor:Scotch, with sweet malt and residual sugar.
Palate:Medium body with no carbonation.
Overall:Didnít care for this too much. Barrel aging, believe it or not, seems overdone (I love BA beers).

ansjelaah (1746) - Westelbeers, NETHERLANDS - AUG 31, 2012
Gedronken met joes, benzai en dutchdrebus, oranje kleurig, geen schuim, whiskey en houtgeur, en smaakt heeel zoet, stroop, hazelnoten. Bijzonder. 2005.

cgarvieuk (18524) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - APR 25, 2014
bottle at home ... golden amber ,,, thin white lacing ... soft fruits ... big whisky nose ... soft fruits ... big big sweet whisky .. light toffe malt .. nto working for me

allmyvinyl (7165) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - APR 26, 2014
275ml bottle from Craig, cheers for keeping ahold of! Pours murky pale brown, no head. Aromas of whisky and wood, some sweetness. Taste is whisky and cardboard. Sweet finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bill Becker (610) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - JUL 12, 2015
It has a bright clear gold/copper colour with a small head of foam that shrinks quickly but not entirely. Aboot a 50 50 mix of caramel malt and Whiskey in the smell. Dried pitted fruits make up the balance of the nose except for some light smokiness. Very very sweet up front. Whiskey moves in and somewhat tames the sugary sweetness but not quite. Hints of pitted fruits abound but never get that obvious to my palate. I feel the light peat flavour that I also get is a plus. Close to full bodied with light carbonation and a heap of warming after the swallow. 2012 and a goodish brew but I would be lying if I said I would buy it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 5, 2004
Pours a clear, golden orange hue with spotty head. Aromas of alcohol, hay and caramelized brown sugar with a slight spice to it.... no smokiness in the aromas. Not as peaty, in the flavor, as I like from a typical islay single malt, but itís there....THe texture if the brew is a little sticky with a slight bitterness going down. no wait....itís very sticky and as it warms, as I say with all beers, the flavors unfold. Lots of honey with a little spice come through but the finish on this beer is like ..... not a good islay malt scotch, but more like a blend. I can see this as being a great dessert brew.... but other than that, I will have to let my other bottle rest for a while and rate it another day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
dkoonce (911) - Peopleís Republic of Athens, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2006
Bottle. Pours a hazy light brown, with a lot of fizz. The head was minimal, and required an agressive pour to reveal. The aroma is sweet, almost raisin, fruit. The malt is clearly the dominate aroma. This is thick, almost syrup, beer. Itís about as sweet as a syrup. The flavor is like a smoky heavy fruit syrup. As it warms, the alcohol becomes clear. Good for what it is. But, not my cup of tea.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
donteatpoop (127) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - APR 11, 2008
An orangy color with virtually no head, slight lace along the surface edges. Smells strongly of the whiskey cask. Smoke and toffee as well. Very very sweet and tangy. Almost too sweet. Being as sweet as it is, it is only natural that it left my mouth a bit dry after I had been drinking it for a while. I could still very much taste the whiskey cask, the smokiness, and hints of raisins. Felt very syrupy and thick in the mouth, virtually no carbonation (as was to be expected.) Not a bad beer at all, certainly different than what I normally drink. All in all, I donít think Iíd be willing to spend seven bucks on this bottle again, but Iím glad I tried it. Serving type: bottle

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
502Che (999) - @, CAMBODIA - AUG 14, 2008
9.3 oz. bottle (2004) into sniffer. Pours a hazy woody red color with a nice offwhite head that took a very violent pour to stir up. The aroma is pretty intense - some musty chewy malt with some caramel, wood, and booze notes. The flavor is a bit too sweet for me and includes some soy notes (the number one turn off for me in a beer) in addition to maple sugar, dough, and caramel characteristics. No hops really. I think this thing has some serious potential if it has been stored correctly for a long time, and I feel mine has probably been exposed to light and above cellar temperatures. Either way, it is pretty good and interesting, just a bit intense right now. Medium to full bodied and heavy on the palate. Overall: definitely a very slow sipper, and not getting as much whiskey on the flavor or aroma as I was hoping for. This thing is so sweet that I lick my lips and it just tastes like sugary caramel candy. If your are a sweet barley wine lover, this stuff is probably streight up your alley.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Christian (11983) - Odense, DENMARK - JUL 23, 2011
Cloudy amber with a small off-white head. Strong aroma of peat smoke with a meaty smoke touch, malt and alcohol. sweet, very smoked, malty flavour with plenty alcohol. A bit sugary.