J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at J.W. Lees
Style: Barley Wine
Middleton, England

RATINGS: 465   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Only available filtered and pasteurised in bottles.
Matured in wooden casks of Lagavulin Malt Whiskey, one of the most distinctive malt whisky from the island of Islay, characterized by the strong peaty notes which should blend with the Harvest Ale to give an explosion of flavors.
This fully fermented ale has been brewed by JW Lees as a celebration of the brewers’ art. Harvest Ale can be enjoyed now or laid down like a fine wine for enjoyment to come.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 4, 2004
At the risk of having my geek license revoked, I will tell you I didn’t like this one. Appearance was fine, looked like liquor. Aroma had some wood to it, and syruppy sweetness, and medicine type aroma. Flavor wasn’t overwelmingly sweet like some of the JW Lee’s Harvest that I’ve had, but I didn’t like what was there either. I think I perfer Listerine. Mouthfeel was viscous and sticky. Finish was slightly sweet. I might lay one of these down, but it won’t be me drinking it!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
renffisch (757) - london, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAR 20, 2008
206 bottle from ethereal shared with mes and tashi as well. I dont like whisky. I didnt want to smell it, drink it, or go anywhere near it. But hey, it smells like lagavulin and tastes of lagavulin and for me it actually a lot better than the actual stuff. just covered in sugar.a bit like eating haggis in maple syrup.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - MAY 31, 2006
Amber, thin head and lacing. Nose of strong peat, licorice, medicinal band-aid. The flavor is overwhelming with peat and sweetness and a horrible, horrible finish. I feel like I’ve used my tongue to comb through the medicine cabinet. Ugh. I like a good peaty scotch but this blended something funky together with it and it just didn’t jive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
blklab2007 (1939) - Connecticut, USA - MAY 29, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2007 2004 bottle - pours thick, almost no head. smells of sweet port and burnt wood, lightly carbonated. dark amber color with dark orange. thick and sweet on the front of the tongue and overwhelming smoke flavor towards the back. thick oily coating as it goes down. Poured it cold but much better after sitting for a while and warming up. Too much burnt wood taste for me but good for a cold winter day by the fire.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
nick76 (4170) - Tampa, Florida, USA - APR 30, 2008
The aroma is smoky with wood, brown sugar, and malt. The appearance is amber with a small bubbly head. The flavor is like the aroma but not that smoky. The palate is smooth. Overall it’s not bad but the smoke smell dominates everything. This is still OK.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jsquire (3387) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - JUN 28, 2008
9.3 oz. bottle brewed in 2003. Clear amber beer in my snifter with only the lightest of whisp for a head. Nose has noticable alcohol and a syrup sweetness. This is a very sweet beer. Too sweet for my tastes. There is some whiskey, oak, vanilla, and a hint of smoke. It is just so overpowered by the thick, cloying butterscotch sweetness that the other flavors don’t stand a chance. The alcohol is very noticable and starts to burn on the tongue as the beer warms. A very odd beer actually.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bytemesis (2931) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - JAN 24, 2013
Bottle. I like scotch, I like harvest ale, whats not to like about the two of them together? Plenty. Instead of a match made in heaven, their offspring is more like a deformed leper than anything else. Turns out I should have been able to figure that out for myself. What goes will with a nice peaty scotch? Oh yes - a super sweet desert! Not. The flavors don’t mix, and should never have been asked to. Miss. Oh, and chock full of floaties. I thought this was filtered and pasteurized?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
heykevin (1274) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JUN 4, 2004
Bright golden with a wispy head. Alcohol, perfume, and a touch of peat in the aroma. Some dusty sweetness as well. Sticky sweet, which is not unexpected, with honey notes, but the tandem peat/medicinal blast renders this near drain pour. Yeeesh! If this is ever going to come together, it isn’t going to be anytime soon.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
chriso (7347) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 1, 2005
Bottle (courtesy Duff) at St Albans Beer Festival, October 2005. Silk seems to have got in all the ranting before me so I’ll largely confine myself to saying this is an ill-judged, gimmicky nonsense of a beer. Reddish colour. Medicinal, phenolic, loads of burnt rubber in the aroma. I love Lagavulin, but the combination here does nothing for either component and the integration is not harmonious at all.. Very sweet, with an unpleasant alcohol burn. Crude and borderline unpleasant. Not my thing at all. Its giving me indigestion.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 7, 2006
Caramel malt and spicy notes int he aroma along with hints of dark fruit. Caramel in color as well with a wispy white slick of a head. Fore is a foul chemical tasting bitterness followed by loads of tainted caramel malt and a big kick of chemically treated wood and whiskey. Flavor is so discordant I literally can not drink it.