J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at J.W. Lees
Style: Barley Wine
Middleton, England

RATINGS: 488   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Only available filtered and pasteurised in bottles.
Matured in wooden casks of Lagavulin Malt Whiskey, one of the most distinctive malt whisky from the island of Islay, characterized by the strong peaty notes which should blend with the Harvest Ale to give an explosion of flavors.
This fully fermented ale has been brewed by JW Lees as a celebration of the brewersí art. Harvest Ale can be enjoyed now or laid down like a fine wine for enjoyment to come.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
JCW (1277) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 4, 2004
At the risk of having my geek license revoked, I will tell you I didnít like this one. Appearance was fine, looked like liquor. Aroma had some wood to it, and syruppy sweetness, and medicine type aroma. Flavor wasnít overwelmingly sweet like some of the JW Leeís Harvest that Iíve had, but I didnít like what was there either. I think I perfer Listerine. Mouthfeel was viscous and sticky. Finish was slightly sweet. I might lay one of these down, but it wonít be me drinking it!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
renffisch (869) - london, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAR 20, 2008
206 bottle from ethereal shared with mes and tashi as well. I dont like whisky. I didnt want to smell it, drink it, or go anywhere near it. But hey, it smells like lagavulin and tastes of lagavulin and for me it actually a lot better than the actual stuff. just covered in sugar.a bit like eating haggis in maple syrup.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
mnurda (1197) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - NOV 22, 2012
Cask sample from the public house in Las Vegas. Bourbon like taste. I like the bubble do this was not my fave but I can appreciate this beer. Well done. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
adnielsen (10137) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - NOV 8, 2013
Tap @ Black Bottle. Pours a hazy, dark orange appearance with no head. Aroma is full of booze, smoked peat, Scotch, caramel, and a bit of citrus. Honestly, quite hard to drink. Boozy, big whisky, goopy orange candied flavor that is hard to swallow. I keep thinking that I would eventually this series but alas, I still donít like them.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
AdamChandler (3734) - Enfield, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 26, 2014
Dark reddish brown. Nose was sweet with candies. Smokey / peat taste, charcoal, lots of sweet notes. but it has the most disgusting floaters ever like thick pieces of wood floating around in it. gross.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BŁckDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - MAY 31, 2006
Amber, thin head and lacing. Nose of strong peat, licorice, medicinal band-aid. The flavor is overwhelming with peat and sweetness and a horrible, horrible finish. I feel like Iíve used my tongue to comb through the medicine cabinet. Ugh. I like a good peaty scotch but this blended something funky together with it and it just didnít jive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
blklab2007 (2097) - Connecticut, USA - MAY 29, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2007 2004 bottle - pours thick, almost no head. smells of sweet port and burnt wood, lightly carbonated. dark amber color with dark orange. thick and sweet on the front of the tongue and overwhelming smoke flavor towards the back. thick oily coating as it goes down. Poured it cold but much better after sitting for a while and warming up. Too much burnt wood taste for me but good for a cold winter day by the fire.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
nick76 (4314) - Tampa, Florida, USA - APR 30, 2008
The aroma is smoky with wood, brown sugar, and malt. The appearance is amber with a small bubbly head. The flavor is like the aroma but not that smoky. The palate is smooth. Overall itís not bad but the smoke smell dominates everything. This is still OK.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jsquire (3752) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - JUN 28, 2008
9.3 oz. bottle brewed in 2003. Clear amber beer in my snifter with only the lightest of whisp for a head. Nose has noticable alcohol and a syrup sweetness. This is a very sweet beer. Too sweet for my tastes. There is some whiskey, oak, vanilla, and a hint of smoke. It is just so overpowered by the thick, cloying butterscotch sweetness that the other flavors donít stand a chance. The alcohol is very noticable and starts to burn on the tongue as the beer warms. A very odd beer actually.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bytemesis (4733) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - JAN 24, 2013
Bottle. I like scotch, I like harvest ale, whats not to like about the two of them together? Plenty. Instead of a match made in heaven, their offspring is more like a deformed leper than anything else. Turns out I should have been able to figure that out for myself. What goes will with a nice peaty scotch? Oh yes - a super sweet desert! Not. The flavors donít mix, and should never have been asked to. Miss. Oh, and chock full of floaties. I thought this was filtered and pasteurized?