overall
Brewed by Pivovar Kácov
Style: Dunkel/Tmavý
Kácov, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 14   MEAN: 3.43/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Dedollewaitor (13677) - Odense, DENMARK - AUG 16, 2012
Bottle @ Rozmanitost, Prague. Pours amber with a small white head. Dust, grain, corn and caramel. Acidic fruit and paper. Medium bodied. A great disappointment.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Christian (11021) - Odense, DENMARK - JUL 25, 2012
Copper with a small white head. Malty aroma of toffee, with a little raw grain and unfermented wort. Sweet caramel, molasses and dark sugar flavour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
pivnizub (8731) - Bochum, Porúří, GERMANY - APR 8, 2007
On tap at the brewery: Very deep amber coloured with a firm off-white foam, moderate mainly dry malty aroma: caramel, dark malt with traces of roasted malt, moderate bitter-sweet flavour, light to medium-bodied, dryish, a bit roast-malty finish. A fine, well made and moreish beer.............

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Quack-Duck (7734) - Down South, GERMANY - APR 6, 2012
bottle from Billa Rokycany. Deep brown colour, large and creamy beige head. Malty, very roasty with shy hints of caramel. Dry and "roasty" with a good amount of hops in the lingering finish. Delicious dark lager.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
kevnic2008 (7575) - Baden-Baden, GERMANY - OCT 21, 2012
Light, sort of watery dunkel. A poor representation of the style. Lacked much taste and much oomph.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
motelpogo (6203) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - NOV 22, 2012
on tap at slunce ve skle 2012 in pilsen cernice. very very dark brown with a lingering beige head; pungent aroma of molasses, liquid chocolate, xmas pudding; very thick and full texture; good hit of burnt bitterness with some cakey flavours. makes a lot of sense as a christmas beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kappldav123 (4700) - GERMANY - JUN 21, 2012
Thanks to quack-duck for that bottle. Looks simple but good. Beer in the glass deep black, nice head. Starts mild, fine malty, roasty, modest dry. Fine sweet notes in the background. Finish well balanced, modest moldy. Quite drinkable. Nice!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jaghana (3700) - Strasbourg (France), FRANCE - MAY 18, 2012
Bottle 50cl from quack-Duck thanks a lot. A very dark beer with low white head. Nose is very roasted and coffee like, aroma is in creamy on dark chocolate with roasted notes, very long malty and dark malt notes, not acrid, creamy feeling, dark caramel too, light red fruit notes, a very pleasant beer !

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
diabel (1603) - Aarschot, BELGIUM - JUL 6, 2012
Hazy brown body with an off-white fizzy/creamy head that diminishes fastly. Aroma of fine malts and smoke. Moderately bitter, lightly sweet flavour. Distinct hoppy bitterness. Well balanced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
coldbrewky (1418) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - JUN 2, 2008
On draft repeatedly at U svejka, Koulova, Praha 6. You can find it easily on mapy.cz) This was one of the closest local pubs to the Crown Plaza where I have stayed on my trips to the Czech Republic for the past two years. I was a bit tired of Gambrinus on draft and asked for a dark beer and this is what appeared as if on angels wings from the bar. The barmaid was pretty cute too. I had it first with my lunch of funky chicken. The .3L glass arrived and seemed as dark as a black steers toucous on a moonless prairie night. It shimmered and gave a smooth silky tone as it stared at me from the table. The nose cut through the smokey bar and lingered about the table. Mmmm Dark chocolate with a bit of burnt black patent. Some gentle hops as well. A thick dense light tan head sat on top of the beer like a ruling king. I knew this was going to hit me dead on even before I tasted it. Just a hint of ruby around the edges of the glass. I was mesmerized. My wife asked me if I was feeling ok. I told her to ask me again in a few minutes. The first sip screamed sweet full bodied milk stout but then was suddenly lighter and finished evenly. I shook my head. This was my second beer of the day...how could I be so confused? I took another sip. Great googlie mooglie!! Licorice and bakers chocolate surrounded by noble hops! Chewy but medium bodied, how can this be so? This was the beer I have been shooting for in my own homebrews for years and years! A rich over the top grain bill! Woo hoo. Caution to the wind now I drained the glass. I nearly fell over in glee. I realized that my cousin Tim was calling the barmaid over again to the table and ordering two more of these but .5L mugs of it. My wife shook her head and said...."Here we go again" as she attempted to order a mudslide. Hah..good luck. She settled for a hot chocolate. This went well with a wide assortment of foods from beef to chicken and fish. From what I could gather this is a year round offering now. Wow.