overall
Style: Specialty Grain
Mt Maunganui, New Zealand
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 55   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.98   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Our dark ale is crafted from rye, nz malts and hops, yeast and pure NZ water. It is rich and lively with roasted malt notes that fill the mouth with a punchy finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
ComradeK (992) - The Vale of Dundas, AUSTRALIA - MAY 21, 2012
330ml bottle. Pours an opaque black, with a large off-white head, which lasts well, but does not leave a lot of lace. There are some chocolate and roasty notes on the nose, but also a slight sourness, which suggests a wild yeast infection. The taste is equally suggestive of this problem. There are some very faint herbal hops up front, and some dark, roasty malt flavours later on, but from start to finish there is an unpleasant, jarring sourness to it. I suspect without that it would be quite enjoyable, but judging from what I actually have, it really isnít. As mine is one of many, from all over the world, to mention yeast infection, it seems this brewery has a serious quality control issue. Iím certainly in no hurry to rush out and try their other products.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
TimE (3108) - Tokyo, JAPAN - MAY 20, 2012
Lots of rye malt,malty nose with a touch of chocolate. Lots of rye in the mouth, sour and astringent. Just lifeless. Not impressed

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
adx (1) - NEW ZEALAND - MAY 17, 2012 does not count
Having just been in the Kaimai region, I decided to select a bottle of this on the return jouney - but it had such a weird taste that I had to look on the web, hence this site. kramerís review seems to be spot on. In a word; "vinegar". No carbonation problems in my bottle. Still, like a good Kiwi bloke (I said "like" - not necessarily saying I am), I drank every last drop, but it took the best part of an evening.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
fletchfighters (1041) - AUSTRALIA - MAY 9, 2012
Highly carbonated. Huge three finger head. Looks good. Smell is of chocolate, carmel, vanilla, and earthy spices. Rest went south. Totally infected. Sour lemon and high carbonation. Bummer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ContemplateBeer (1507) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - APR 14, 2012
Aroma was vinous, with some caramel, brown sugar, rye and resin. Appearance was murky brown with huge tan head. Flavor matched the nose; quite spicy and vinous with a lingering resin finish. Palate was very bubbly and effervescent. Excellent.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
BBB63 (5964) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - APR 14, 2012
Bottle and served in Duvel snifter right next to the Golden Rye Ale: Murky brown hue with a huge (possible infected) head but minimal lace. The aroma has notes of old chocolate candy, some crystal and bready malts, much less rye character than the Golden, and some oxidization. Flabby and old skool malts with little hop nor rye character reminds me much of a extract beginner homebrew kit. The chocolate and coffee notes does add some complexity but not enough to make me really enjoy this. While there is some band-aid undertones it did not come off infected on the palate as I feared... just old and boring (much like me and I do not like myself that much either). For all those bubbles on the head the mouth feel is quite tepid, thin and ashy. This may have been good when it first was available in the States (or perhaps on tap) but now it is simply a weak attempt to expand the market. Very disappointing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Farmgirl73 (10) - - MAR 31, 2012
Cherrywood coffee aroma, tastes like a coffee?y, chocolate, cherrywood pop. I would love to be by the fireplace on a wet spring evening at the cottage. Makes me want to rub some wood as I drink it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
omega (681) - NEW ZEALAND - MAR 30, 2012
A bitter and astringent beer. Not sure if I got a dud bottle as I am getting a metallic after taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
kramer (4866) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 26, 2012
Bottle. Pours a clear dark amber body with a one finger fizzy beige head that faded to a thin covering. The nose is OK, some light rye bread, and light nutty/roast notes, some light chocolate, a bit of sour cherry that shouldnít be there. The flavor is way way off right from the get-go. Weird sour cherry, light vinegar, too much carbonation, it all adds up to an obvious level of infection. The mouthfeel is quite unpleasant, it just explodes with carbonation as soon as it hits the tongue. Another crappy New Zealand beer. I think this makes 3 for 3 for my recent purchases of NZ beers that were infected. Guess if I want to drink a decent beer from NZ I should go there to do it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mar (4790) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 24, 2011
bottle thanks to mora2000. deep amber pour with a cream head. nose is rye, roasted malts, chocolate, and dried malts. smooth on the palate, very sweet followed by rye and grains.