overall

RATINGS: 221   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
With the first batch of his namesake Amber, Karl shared a beer and a passion that changed brewing in San Diego. Imported Munich malts give our original flagship the deep bronze color and crisp toasted malt flavors of a Vienna-style lager, while Cascade hops and our proprietary yeast strain lend a smooth body and clean finish. Brewed in small batches since 1989, Karl Strauss Amber remains San Diego’s original session beer.

Karl spent his life making beer. He believed that behind every beer recipe was an inspiration, and behind every pint was a story waiting to be told. Karl Strauss Amber was his story, a story that challenged and inspired a new generation of brewers. Today we brew our own stories, while raising a pint to the man and the beer that started it all.

Specs:
Alcohol by Volume: 4.5%
Color: 15 SRM
Bitterness: 18 IBU
Availability: 24/7/365, Kegs, six-packs and twelve-packs.

Note:Formerly Karl Strauss Amber Lager, 4.2% and 16 IBU.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
bonesbeer99 (2) - California, USA - FEB 19, 2002 does not count
Tastes like all other KS beers, the same .. same malt and hops profile (except for the occassional infection)

jjason2199 (1) - USA - FEB 4, 2002 does not count
This is one of the best beers i have ever had

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
lagerman99 (66) - USA - NOV 26, 2001
A decent vienna toned down to meet the palates of lower cal- ifornia.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
Scott Owen99 (1) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2001 does not count
I live in San Diego. I’ve had this fresh at the brewery and in the bottle. While it is a huge improvement over BudMilloors, it certainly does not deserve to be rated anywhere near to SN’s beers. This beer is watery tasting, light on hops and malt. It reminds me of Rugenbrau Spezial.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DubbelO7 (42) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 4, 2001
I lived in San Diego for a while and got familiar with the Karl Strauss beers . Overall, the tastes are conservative and nor terribly courageus but overall, high in quality compared to mass produced American swill . Good with food . Karl himself is pictured on the packaging but i’m not so sure he is that attractive for being on the bottle ! hahaha ... I rather NOT see him on the packaging ! Rather see one of those San Diego beach bunnies !!!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerNazi (169) - winnetka, California, USA - SEP 21, 2001
the guy is ugly as hell,he shouldnt be the logo,but he can brew up some mean beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - SEP 6, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2003 Strong flavored and really good. Absolutely no bitterness in this one. I had it out of the bottle too, not the tap like everyone else.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - APR 7, 2001
Well...I guess I’m the odd man out here. I wasn’t impressed at all by this beer. The bottle I had was a ’gusher’ and it spewed all over my kitchen counter. The color is much too light for an ’amber ale’ imho. It’s a light copper color. No red notes at all. Sort of a funky stale tasted. I may have an old bottle. I’d like to think so since all of the other reviewers are so positive. I’ll try it again since it seems so popular. But I’m left unimpressed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
celticg99 (22) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - MAR 19, 2001
I had this beer on tap at one of their breweries...one of the best drinking experiences of my life

mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - OCT 25, 2000
Had this great Amber on tap during a recent trip to San Diego. Was glad I had the chance to try such a well done beer. Loads of toasty malt in the aroma and flavor. Fairly assertive spicy hop nose and pleasant subtle bitterness. A luscious, complex Amber brew overall. I wish I could get my hands on more!!