overall

RATINGS: 216   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.04   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
With the first batch of his namesake Amber, Karl shared a beer and a passion that changed brewing in San Diego. Imported Munich malts give our original flagship the deep bronze color and crisp toasted malt flavors of a Vienna-style lager, while Cascade hops and our proprietary yeast strain lend a smooth body and clean finish. Brewed in small batches since 1989, Karl Strauss Amber remains San Diego’s original session beer.

Karl spent his life making beer. He believed that behind every beer recipe was an inspiration, and behind every pint was a story waiting to be told. Karl Strauss Amber was his story, a story that challenged and inspired a new generation of brewers. Today we brew our own stories, while raising a pint to the man and the beer that started it all.

Specs:
Alcohol by Volume: 4.5%
Color: 15 SRM
Bitterness: 18 IBU
Availability: 24/7/365, Kegs, six-packs and twelve-packs.

Note:Formerly Karl Strauss Amber Lager, 4.2% and 16 IBU.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 12, 2003
A very light amber color with a head that is holding on to the edge of my glass with all of it's strength. A waft of caramel and malts. The unfavorable metallic taste hits me lightly on the tongue and as it warms the caramel really jumps out. Not a fan...I hate metallic.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
haddon90 (1423) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 15, 2004
On tap at the United Terminal at LAX. This was ok. Nothing spectacular. Not much aroma at all. No head. Some barley and light fruit notes. Simple, easy, nothing to write home about.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - MAR 4, 2006
Draught at Karl Strauss La Jolla: Ruby color, nose of raspberry and some diacetyl. Flavor is tart and sweet with fruit, odd. Finishes sulfuric, way fruity for a lager.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - APR 24, 2006
Amber isn’t a great style for me, my wife likes it though, and I tryed it, abit sweet, but still hoppy enough for me to like, not bad at all, but just not my cup of tea, a decent beer for the style. Sampled from tap, Universal city.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
can8ianben (1315) - Souderton, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 4, 2009
Aroma of sweet malt and some subtle hops. Obviously amber in color. Grocery store beer is sometimes awful - this isn’t, but it isn’t fantastic either. Malty and sweet, with just a touch of pine in the hops. Drinkable?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
chandler0201 (640) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 19, 2009
Tried this at the LA Airport. Basic smells of some malts same for flavor with a hint of honey. Way too watered down for my tastes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 10, 2009
Copper-brown body under a short-lived white head. Tart apricot & caramel malts in the aroma with the flavor being composed of kilned malt plus some low crystal. Well-done but not interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - APR 7, 2001
Well...I guess I’m the odd man out here. I wasn’t impressed at all by this beer. The bottle I had was a ’gusher’ and it spewed all over my kitchen counter. The color is much too light for an ’amber ale’ imho. It’s a light copper color. No red notes at all. Sort of a funky stale tasted. I may have an old bottle. I’d like to think so since all of the other reviewers are so positive. I’ll try it again since it seems so popular. But I’m left unimpressed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - DEC 31, 2003
Clear, light amber appearance. Nose shows some sweet caramel. Easy drinking palate, definite caramel flavors, very light nutty/toasted flavors. Clean on the finish with a very light hop content.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - AUG 9, 2004
Light malty aroma, taste is of light caremel malts. Nice and refreshing but nothing spectacular.