overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 344   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13   IBU: 17   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Brewed with a half ton of caramelized malts, this bold red ale has caramel and toffee flavors, notes of dried raisins and currants, and a slightly sweet finish.
Color: 30 SRM
Bitterness: 17 IBU
Gravity: 15į Plato
Availability: 24/7/365, Kegs and Bottles

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
maekchu (2200) - Hirakata, JAPAN - DEC 8, 2012
Bottle from Asahiya. Buttery toffee aroma, some prune, too. Reddish-brown color, with thin head. Malty, cherries in initial; mid sweetens up more; final maxes out the sweetness to cherry cough drops. Thin-medium body. A bit flat. Overall, quite pleasant. The cherry notes certainly dominate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DonTom (8) - AUSTRALIA - NOV 27, 2012 does not count
Not the sort of beer I would normally drink, but I had heard good things and wanted to give it a try. A beautiful colour, with what I thought was dark caramel/brown sugar aroma. Much the same on the taste, caramel and toffee. A much lighter body than I was expecting. Not a bad beer for a change of pace, I could only drink one of these though, not sessionable in my opinion at all.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Noahs_Own (5) - Tarawa Terrace, USA - NOV 22, 2012 does not count
The beer that really started my love of craft. Sadly I have moved away from San Diego and Iím unable to get anymore.

BeerMeVal (1) - South Gate, California, USA - NOV 12, 2012 does not count
The bomb.com! When I walked into the Liquor store, I was in the mood for something to celebrate Obamaís victory to. I spotted Red Trolley Ale, and I bought it . I figured I had nothing to lose. When I opened it, my palate went crazy!!! I loved the instant taste of toffee, which is another reasons why I bought it. Yes, itís sweet, but not sweet enough to dislike. Itís like the perfect date, I thought! Anyway, It says itís 5.8% alcohol, but I could swear it was more than that because i was feeling tipsy after one and a half! It was totally worth my cash,I mean my dateís cash, haha!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
imaragingbull (572) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - OCT 4, 2012
Bottle. Pours clear lightly hazy amber ruby with small off white head. Chalky malty floral aromas. Toffee, biscuit, sickly sweet malts, jelly, grapes, currants and floral aromas. Medium body, medium carbonation - a touch dry, but sickly sweet tofee and artificial sweetness through the finish with an ongoing floral hop character.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
SHIG (3602) - Wasilla, Alaska, USA - SEP 27, 2012
Draft: poured a reddish orange with off white head. Aroma is caramel malt and box. Taste is a sweet caramel malt.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
csaso (1411) - Missouri, USA - SEP 23, 2012
Bottle - average size foamy head, medium amber color, sweet malty aroma and flavor, mild hops - not bad but not especially great or anything

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
tomhenderson (166) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - SEP 16, 2012
12 oz bottle in San Diego. I have no idea why I bought this. I loathe sweet, caramelly beers, and thatís exactly what this is. Although the beer has the expected head retention, dark amber (red) color, and is crystal clear, I simply donít like it. Waaaay too much crystal malt for my tastes, not nearly offset enough by bittering hops. This beer is all about the malt base and nearly zero hops to offset the sweetness in flavor or aroma. Even for an "Irish Red" style, itís too sweet to the point of being cloying. Sorry Karl but even Killians is better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
GarrettB (1057) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 15, 2012
Summer 2011 - Karl Straussí Red Trolley is a San Diego institution. It is EVERYWHERE. As a graduate student at UCSD, I see it at all of our social functions, and it shows up at all the restaurants and bars. It is like a local fat tire, and for good reason. Irish Ales are appealing, flavorful, and anything darker can feel sort of weird or out of place on a San Diego afternoon. This review comes from notes where I first tasted it, where first impressions are most powerful. As per the style, the Trolley pours out a deep mahogany red , and immediately produces a rich, enveloping smell of cranberry, raspberries and that burnt aroma of caramel so familiar to martens. The taste is grainier and maltier with deep honey notes and that smell of wet malt that hits you when you enter a brewery. The flavor is sweet but not overwhelming. The Red Trolley reminds me a lot of Bristolís Laughing Lab, another school staple when I was in college. Both feature solid, straightforward, no nonsense flavors, and both give your sweet tooth a little gratification. Theyíre good beers, and they pair well either with a party or a heavy, greasy meal. Theyíre flexible, and thatís why theyíre everywhere. Good, but not great, but always something I could consider when out with friends.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Finhead (1194) - OFallon, Illinois, USA - AUG 13, 2012
Crimson red with an off-white head. The light caramel aroma mimics the taste. It has a light body with a thin texture and lively carbonation. Somewhat boring but not bad at all.