overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 338   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13   IBU: 17   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Brewed with a half ton of caramelized malts, this bold red ale has caramel and toffee flavors, notes of dried raisins and currants, and a slightly sweet finish.
Color: 30 SRM
Bitterness: 17 IBU
Gravity: 15° Plato
Availability: 24/7/365, Kegs and Bottles

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lawless (8) - , California, USA - FEB 2, 2009 does not count
This is the first beer I had from karl strauss and the one that made me a fan. I enjoy that roasted malts and toffee like flavors with hints of dates and currants amazing beer. The first dark beer that I enjoyed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DonTom (8) - AUSTRALIA - NOV 27, 2012 does not count
Not the sort of beer I would normally drink, but I had heard good things and wanted to give it a try. A beautiful colour, with what I thought was dark caramel/brown sugar aroma. Much the same on the taste, caramel and toffee. A much lighter body than I was expecting. Not a bad beer for a change of pace, I could only drink one of these though, not sessionable in my opinion at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tsoneill (7) - California, USA - MAY 24, 2010 does not count
Very drinkable red ale. Good aroma, color and body. Enjoyed the beer a couple of minutes ago. Good caramel malt flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
LAbrewcrew (7) - , Alabama, USA - FEB 2, 2009 does not count
This is a great red, full bodied ale. The beer doesnt taste like a full bodied beer because it is so easy to drink. Very smooth with a fruity like finish to it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
CapSeattle (7) - - MAY 11, 2014 does not count
Strong fruity/caramel scent, and a taste that corresponded with it perfectly. Slightly syrupy and nearly free of hops. Flavor that lingered on the tongue. Very good example of a hopless red ale. Went great with pizza.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ksumek (6) - California, USA - MAY 24, 2010 does not count
Yummy, beer pub pub beer. Bold and full with a slight sweetness that is perfect with your favorite pub sandwich and fries.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ocbeergoddess (6) - , California, USA - FEB 2, 2009 does not count
This red ale has great flavor, with a slight sweetness to it. It is a fuller body beer with a toasted malt flavor to it. I really enjoy the smooth finish. Had this with some bbq chicken and it was delicious!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Noahs_Own (5) - Tarawa Terrace, USA - NOV 22, 2012 does not count
The beer that really started my love of craft. Sadly I have moved away from San Diego and I’m unable to get anymore.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MurrayK (5) - Forest Lodge, AUSTRALIA - JAN 24, 2014 does not count
Great beer. And this makes it 75 characters long. Or this will. Or this. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20