Karlsberg Heller Hoch Brau Pils
overall
Brewed by Karlsberg Brauerei
Style: Pilsener
Homburg, Germany

RATINGS: 13   MEAN: 2.95/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
500ml can.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JAN 5, 2004
Can. You have no idea, those of you who live in places with massive beer distribution, how exciting it is for me to find a beer I've never heard of, much less seen, in an out-of-the-way liquor store in a small town. Even more of a thrill when I find that I'm only going to be the third rater of this. Whoa I'm special! Well at least until I pop the top on the can...

Pours light golden, very clear, big frothy large-bubbling head. Light grainy aroma with a tinge of metal, not promising. Flavor isn't bad, certainly better than a lot of macros, but I don't get the "crispness" mentioned by zool ... seems very soft and decarbonated-soda-like to me. Some chewy breadiness appears later down the line, and the finish is smooth and quaffable. It's ok, and for $1.25 its conceivable I'd buy it again. If there wasn't anything else.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
zool (41) - Northampton, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 14, 2003
Utterly neutral in aroma and crystal clear, this has a nice crispness that I was not expecting. The fact that it comes only in a can rather than a bottle is a little unusual in a German import, but that has not seemed to affect the taste at all. I can't really find anything bad to say about this, and the only reason I haven't scored it higher is due to my general preference for darker beers. As a side note, this is also very reasonably priced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - OCT 23, 2002
Clear gold. Thick, white foam leaving a swath of lace. Sparse carbonation. Clean aroma of toasted white bread, hay and spicy hops. Crisp, bold and assertive. Immediate toasty malts with a hay background. Smooth, clean and sharp. Feisty hop bitterness but light on flavor. Light body. Quenching with a brisk aftertaste. Loses its malty oomph as it sits. Blandness creeps in as well. Surprisingly no metal taste, except for the occasional well water minerals. Finishes with a surge of floral hops which linger atop the dry, mown hay essence which is this brews hallmark. A very nice find.