Brewed by Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck
Style: Abbey Tripel
Ingelmunster, Belgium

RATINGS: 930   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
A tripel, as solid as a castle. A full bodied beer, brewed with Belgian hops, to enjoy quietly, with a powerful, distinctive flavour: flowery, hop bitterness and soft alcohol.

Ingredients: water, barley malt, corn, sugar, hops, yeast, antioxidant (ascorbic acid).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Grovlam (4187) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - FEB 7, 2007
Bottle. Head was average to large with a fizzy off-white color. It lasted reasonable long. Good lacing found in glass. Body was light cloudy with heavy particles. Color golden. Aroma was sweat, leather, barnyard, citrus, grain and fruit. Full bodied with an average carbonation and an alcoholic texture. Flavor was somehow a bit unbalanced I thought. Average slightly bitter finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2678) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JAN 31, 2007
Instantly fruity aroma, with vinous notes, but also not unlike cheap grape soda. Poured a very clear golden color with a medium bubbly head that faded fast and seemed articifial, I think the soda comparison came in part because of the pour. Cheap wine up front in the flavor, with a light fruity cheap champagne-like sweetness leading quickly to a carbonic bite, and hot prickly alcohol on the back of the tongue. Harsh graininess and peppery alcohol linger all over the palate. Close to cheap malt liquor mixed with cheap champagne, in so many ways, its absolutely among the worst belgian strong ales Iíve ever had, and among the worst of any beer from Belgium Iíve tried. An absolute letdown and totally unfinishable.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
cheap (4751) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 30, 2007
Iím not too sure if I got the correct beer or not. Kasteel trippel is what it said on the tap handle. First, let me begin by mentioning I am not a happy camper that I paid A-LOTS for a 10oz kasteel at the trivia pub. You figure it out; $0.70 per ounce. So donít expect a rave. Donít blame the trivia pub, thatís a great placeÖÖbest wings around. The only other strong Belgian ale I have to compare to is Delirium Noel and that was also a brew I had at this place. This beer pours with what seems to be a haze. When rating this, I have to agree with turbothy and tomthompson89. Not worth the price. If it was not for my curiosity, I never would have purchased. I saw carbonation in the pour, even once it settles. Later I found out it was almost flat. The color is a light transparent yellow haze. This beer tastes like it smells and it smells like wine. Mind you, I am not a wine expert but my grandparents made barrels of wine. Very strong with alcohol presence. I must comment that the alcohol flavor is no indication of the over all percentage. It is a pretty smooth beer for such a high rating. Better watch out! Limit is three at the bar around here. I would never think of this as a beer, cannot think of this as a beer. It is not terribly bitter but it does let you know it is strong, not in your face. A little carbonation tingle. The small nasty astringent-ness makes this different than a wine, wine usually does not have that hop or malt bite. I would never think of this as a beer ~ did I already say that? The finish hangs for a while like an unwelcome visitor. I guess the finish is the determining factor as to what differentiates it as a wine. Will not buy again. Now I know why sake can be rated as beer, because some beer can have the same alky effect as sake, and almost be as offensive. I also donít think that sake has a perfumy after scent; a benefit that this has. I donít think this is good tasting as a delirium.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Marsiblursi (3070) - GŲteborg, SWEDEN - JAN 28, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2007 (Bottle) Pours orange/amber with enormus floters. Sweet sugary aroma with some (exotic) fruits and allmond paste. Some distant hops and a touch of honey and spices. Sweet, white sugar flavour with some fruits and allmond paste. Medium thick, a bit sticky mouthfeel. Also a bit yeasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
marchcow (664) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - JAN 26, 2007
Sweet malty aroma. Golden yellow color with quickly diminishing head. Creamy and oily thick malty flavor. Sweet and well carbonated. Dries out a bit on the duration. Alcohol is not that noticable except that it makes the beer seem more intense. Good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
cheeta (1181) - LangŚ, DENMARK - JAN 26, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2007 Heavy hoppy aroma. Frothy initial apperance. White head color. Good lacing. Cloudy yellow body. Heavy sweet initial flavor. Medium too full palate. Oily texture.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
tomthompson89 (1964) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 25, 2007
smells almost musty, like cheese, somewhat bitter flavour, the alcohol overwhelms the beer, decent but not a fav

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jerre (3019) - Waregem, BELGIUM - JAN 23, 2007
Botle, 33 cl. Tasted this more times. Sunday evening at last. Hazy golden color, with small, white head. Aroma yeasty, hoppy. Medium body. Strong alcohol taste, bitter aftertaste but to little.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sheatripper (863) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JAN 22, 2007
750ml bottle. Poured light amber/gold with a huge foamy white head. Aromas of honey, banana, bready malt, and citrus with a trace of mustiness in the background. Flavor of sweet pound cake malt and fruit with an ample amount of spice (coriander). Finished peppery with some more of that musty character. A bit of a wet rag aftertaste. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not bad, though Iíll probably pass it by in the futrue.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SteC (140) - Oostende, BELGIUM - JAN 21, 2007
This beer stood in my storage for a long time. By the time I drank it, it was 7 months over date. I tried it expectiong nothing, and this idea appeared to be confirmed when I opened it. A bread-yeast aroma came out, which I have never smelled before while opening a beer. So I thought this was the end of the exercise. Also the head disappeared fast. But when I tasted it, it was an utter surprise to me. The taste went from fruity to clearly acid-bitter. Wow, what a surprise. The body of this beer was very un-blond, and more orange hazy.