overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 720   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.19%
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale™ With a little creative curiosity, we used spent bourbon casks, fresh from decanting, and filled them with our very own Kentucky Ale. From barrels that once held the finest bourbons of Kentucky, we present Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, a smooth, golden elixir unlike any other. Subtle yet familiar flavors of vanilla and oak are imparted to this special ale as it rests in the charred barrel. We attribute this to what the bourbon maker calls the “angel’s share”. Elegantly smooth and modestly carbonated, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is a fine sipping ale with the distinctive nose of a well-crafted Kentucky bourbon.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
michael-pollack (4960) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 15, 2009
12oz. Bottle: Aroma of bourbon, caramel, and butterscotch. Poured amber in color with a small to medium-sized, creamy, dense, off-white head that diminished but lasted around the edges. Slightly hazy. Slightly sparkling. A few small particles. Flavor is lightly sweet. Tastes of bourbon, alcohol, light caramel, butterscotch, malts, and butter. Medium body. Thin, slick texture. Average carbonation. Bourbon, butterscotch, and butter finish. No so good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
BigDaddyBlues (45) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 13, 2009
I found this to be a very different beer. I assumed it would be more like a stout or a porter but it was very much lighter. I think that made it more appealing to me. I love beer but I am a whiskey drinker first and foremost. If you like whiskey you will like this. You cannot get away from the whiskey taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
OliverG (276) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 8, 2009
De couleur orangée et trouble, avec de légers arômes de vanille et de bourbon. En bouche, elle est douce et offre des saveurs de vanille et de bois, avec une légère touche d’alcool. L’arrière goût est tout en douceur et ne dure pas très longtemps. Bonne petite bière.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
POD (198) - USA - JUL 6, 2009
Had high hopes for this one as I’ve tasted bourbon flavored stouts that I enjoyed greatly. This one had a foamy tan head that lasted for a while. However, flavor fell flat. There was a hink of oakiness. But I couldn’t detect any bouron flavor whatsoever. This ale sent down quick & smooth. No lingering aftertaste. All in all just it was okay but didn’t leave me with a desire for more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TwoDudes (77) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JUN 22, 2009
I didn’t really like this beer...Too much like a Boilermaker in a bottle...Not much finesse...........................................

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - JUN 10, 2009
Bottel from my nephew, Jim, sho picked it up in Kentucky. Pours a crystal clear bright gold with a medium shite head, somewhat unexpected lightness for a bourbon barrel aged beer. Huge bourbon aroma with hints of vanilla and butterscotch. Smooth, creamy, medium body and a slightly sticky palate. Sweet English toffee flavor with very little bitterness to offset it. The big bourbon flavor and aroma may not be to everyones liking, but I liked it. A good sipper.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 24, 2009
I’d previously had the Kentucky Ale, but when I ordered this at the Brews Cafe in Granville, I was expecting something dark....usually bourbon-barrel aging usually equals RIS, not an amber ale! Surprising, and different, but not the greatest outcome. THis beer had a ton of bourbon character without a ton of booziness, which is admirable, but somehow it seemed overly sweet to me and not all that drinkable. Color is a clear and (for a barrel aged beer) surprisingly brilliant amber color with a fine head coating. Aroma is fruity, a touch boozy and very bourbon-y. Flavor was (thankfully) less boozy, but very bourbon-y and also quite sweet, perhaps too much so. A bit too sweet for my tastes, pretty astringent, and not much else to appeal to me besides some bourbon character. Just OK. Mouthfeel is dry and warming. This beer was just sort of OK...not terrific. I had this on-tap at the Brews Cafe in Granville.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 24, 2009
Bottle, courtesy sebletitje. Clear golden apple pour, some lacing, small head. Caramel nose, some brash bourbon, brown sugar and cotton candy. Some bitter cocoa flavors, with smooth bourbon and caramel, some dark fruit. Thin-bodied, soft, balanced, subtle enough to make it sessionable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Skyview (5150) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - MAY 19, 2009
Sampled from a 12-oz bottle during Dark Lord Day ’09 at table 3. Pours a clear amber red colored brew with a thin off white foamy head. Aroma of sweet hops of caramel, a hint of vanilla and apples. Medium bodied. Tastes of caramel malt, a hint of bourbon, apples and vanilla. Finish has a sweet after taste with a light toffee and bourbon flavor and some alcohol presence.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
NobleSquirrel (3437) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 16, 2009
Bottle from my girlfriend’s trip to Louisville. Pours a clear amber, diminished head. Nose is straight bourbon, then some crisp apples (likely acetylaldehyde). Taste is much the same. The beer can’t hold the bourbon flavor in check and it ends up being a wreck. A little tart and appley but way way too much bourbon...