overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 690   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.19%
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale™ With a little creative curiosity, we used spent bourbon casks, fresh from decanting, and filled them with our very own Kentucky Ale. From barrels that once held the finest bourbons of Kentucky, we present Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, a smooth, golden elixir unlike any other. Subtle yet familiar flavors of vanilla and oak are imparted to this special ale as it rests in the charred barrel. We attribute this to what the bourbon maker calls the “angel’s share”. Elegantly smooth and modestly carbonated, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is a fine sipping ale with the distinctive nose of a well-crafted Kentucky bourbon.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
donrajin (233) - Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, USA - SEP 19, 2008
This beer is way too sweet in my opinion. That is about the only thing that stands out about this beer. Malty Sweet. Way too much sweetness and not enough balance to be classified as an amber ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hillfiiiiire (323) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 18, 2008
Pours a golden amber with little to not head retention. Aroma is the standout quality here with a subdued bourbon character that doesn’t go burning my nose hairs and is a nice crisp sweetness. Flavor falls quite flat though. Nothing but bourbon is going on. Very thin body that almost feels watered down. The beer’s like drinking a bourbon mixed with a lot of seltzer water, and I’m mostly okay with that.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
nqualls (1452) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 16, 2008
Bottle. I rather enjoyed this. Poured a clear amber into a shaker with a one finger off white head. Aroma of sweet malt and bourbon. Flavor is very sweet. Bourbon without the bite. Decent beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
shalloWMeans (169) - Independence, Kentucky, USA - SEP 6, 2008
Upon opening, the first apparent aroma is a very cloying, funky, pina colada like pineapple smell. It is rather pleasant, and the bourbon notes are very quick to follow, bringing forth a very mellow oakiness, bright, appley fruit, and small hints of vanilla extract and grainy, bready malt. In the glass this has a reflective, bright, light amber to gold color and a decent sized, foaming head that leaves delicate lacing in it’s wake. When I first tried this beer a couple years ago, it seemed that the bourbon was overwheliming and cloying. Perhaps this current bottle was aged a little longer, but when I took the first sip, it was full of bright fresh tropical fruits, maple, and a rounded buttery malt character. I searched desperately for the bourbon notes and found only a hint of oaky vanilla and alcohol, which added to the flavor nicely but left the beer feeling rather empty. As a proud Kentucky native, I have to give dibs to the Lexington Brewing Co., but honestly, there are many better bourbon beers out there. This is highly drinkable, rather sweet and fruity, but not quite what you might expect.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
allfreej (550) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - AUG 31, 2008
Sampled at the 2008 Brew at the Zoo in Louisville, KY. I wouldn’t normally rate a sample as it’s not the best venue for such things, but I felt compelled to with this one. TOO MUCH BOURBON FLAVOR! I love bourbon, but I want my bourbon to taste like bourbon. I usually enjoy the offerings brewers serve up that use used bourbon barrels to age their brews in. The beers thus handled normally have some bourbon notes, some smokiness, or other desirable, complimentary influences from the whiskey. This beer tasted like someone had gone out of their way to create a bourbon-flavored beer, not just a beer aged in bourbon casks. It was too much. Almost like they’d used some of that gross syrup that some people pour in their coffee at Starbucks et al. I was happy I hadn’t paid money for this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - AUG 19, 2008
Sampled at the 2008 Music City Brewers Fest. Dark amber with a off-white head. Sweet aroma of fruits, vanilla; it almost reminded me of a pina caloda. Sweet flavor that has lots of vanilla and a light wood backing. Light body and slightly watery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jackzodiac (12) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 10, 2008
I first found this ale at an English pub in town and they only served it in ten ounce snifters. It was very good at the pub, but it was also on tap, which made a noticeable difference. Solid, pale head that disappears quickly (I’ll note that not once in the dozens of times I ordered it at the pub did it have a head on it). Very little lacing. It had a slightly sweet aroma, almost vanilla. Nice dark amber color. Medium mouthfeel, with a strong, smooth flavor with slightly woody notes and an almost peaty finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Bigmmartin (603) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - AUG 9, 2008
Bottle. Clear golden in color with a small white head. Aroma is light malt and bourbon. Flavor is somewhat sweet but mostly just bourbon. Kind of thin and watery. A lighter bodied beer than you would expect from a bourbon barrel aged brew. Not overly impressive but not too bad either. Can’t compare to the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout....but then again I guess it’s not really supposed to.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DByers (8) - , Ohio, USA - AUG 5, 2008 does not count
Poured into fluted glass, aroma of vanilla, a little char, and a typical ale. Perfect dark amber in color. However very disappointing to the palate. Tastes of bourbon are less than impactfull and the beer typical. I love bourbon and beer and this relationship just failed. A one time try.......

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
AndyReynolds (820) - Wilder, Kentucky, USA - JUL 29, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 2, 2008 Poured a deep reddish-brown color with very little head. Has a sweet aroma, very malty. The taste was a watered down bourbon taste. It was alright, nothing I would go out of my way to get.