RATINGS: 120   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Don't let its looks deceive you. Though it may resemble a porter or a stout, this is a light bodied ale with a pleasant hint of molasses. Don't be afraid of the dark.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
oreocowgirl3 (1) - marquette, Michigan, USA - JAN 1, 2015 does not count
Exactly what the info says. I donít like dark beers and usually stay away from anything that even looks dark. I tried this beer first in a can and was very happy. Then ordered it somewhere and out came this dark looking beer. I was shocked! It was what I asked for. This beer is really good and as a girl from the Michigan living in the upper peninsula, I am proud of my state. This beer is great. Try some other kewenaw beers too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Aggie80 (790) - Michigan, USA - SEP 8, 2013
Dark pour with a choppy aroma. Much lighter flavor than expected. Definitely getting more!

vomit (211) - Michigan, USA - OCT 7, 2009
OK, this stuff is good. Not great. Much lighter taste than the hue would imply. But I would definitely slam some of these if I had some in front of me right now. I donít so I canít. In these troubled times our age-old friend Blatz is always there for you, so if I were you (Iím not) thatís what I would stick to. Think about it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrownALEx (364) - Portland, Michigan, USA - NOV 12, 2012
Pours a beautiful black with a creamy tan head. Aroma has notes of roasted malts and coffee. Taste is malty, I canít put my finger on what else I taste but itís good, no hops detected. Palate is medium bodied, very smooth. Overall this is a great beer, the best one Iíve had from Keweenaw. Very smooth, very black, very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ramichaud (1) - - JUN 7, 2014 does not count
Just plain good. Say ya to da U.P., eh? Dark, yet light bodied. Malty flavor. Great beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
thehoff (596) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 11, 2009
PPWD at Radisson. This was much better than the Pick Axe Blonde. This one was poured right from the keg, from the brewer himself who was a very likable guy. The beer is dark with nice tan head. Does look and act like a nice porter with some of those deep coffee and caramel flavors but much lighter. This was a very nice beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
crossovert (9721) - Illinois, USA - FEB 21, 2011
Another experience with craft beer in a can which sadly canít be recycled for homebrewing. Pours into my pinta dark brown/black. It looks mega stout like. It also has a small foamy tannish/off-white head tat leaves some lacing. Smell is a mix of dark malts and sugar, namely brown sugar. There is a hint of nuttiness and not much hops. Tastes roasty, nutty, dark, with some can taste in the first few sips and hints of chocolate and coffee. The mouthfeel is pretty good, it is light, but not watery, it helps this beer to go down really smooth. That being said, it is a bit too light, seems like a good summer session beer but nothing too amazing flavor wise. Overall it is a highly drinkable brew, nothing I would grab again probably, but worth a try at least. Serving type: can Reviewed on: 01-07-2010 23:26:26

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mallons72 (189) - livonia, Michigan, USA - AUG 11, 2012
Very good - well balanced schwarzbier. I would definitely take this again in the can.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - SEP 9, 2013
Poured from can into 4oz sampler mug at World Expo of Beer in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Appearance: A dark brown, basically black. Not much of a head, and patchy lacing. Smell: Dark malts with maybe some hints of chocolate and coffee giving some character. Taste: See: Smell. Tastes almost like a brown ale... the only reason I could see why itís not is because of the color, for one thing, and that thereís a bit more of a stout character to this one. I actually really enjoy it... really just drinks like a brown ale mixed with a stout, to me. Thatís not a bad thing. Very drinkable, and a low ABV. I actually really like this beer. Tasty. Drinkable. Itís not a super complex beer by any means, but itís a great option to have, especially coming out of a can.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bpar73 (754) - Bellaire, Michigan, USA - APR 5, 2015
Can. Black pour with an off-white head. Mild dark roasted malt minimal hops and caramel in the aroma and taste. A decent schwarzbier.