overall
Brewed by Kirin Brewery Company
Style: Pale Lager
Tokyo, Japan

RATINGS: 1566   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.16   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Finest barley malt, premium hops, smooth finish, no bitter aftertaste.

Editor's Note: Also brewed in the US: "Anheuser-Busch began brewing Kirin Lager, Kirin Ichiban and Kirin Light at its Los Angeles brewery in 1997. The agreement marks the first time Anheuser-Busch has produced foreign brands for sale in the United States."

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
Jamesonpatz (25) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - JAN 13, 2015
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Pilsner glass. When I smelled the mouth of the emptied bottle, all I could smell was skunk. Not sure if this bottle was on the store shelf too long or if every batch is this stinky. I swirled the glass a little and tried out my sniffer one more time. I could still smell skunk, but a hint of breadlines was there this time. This brew looked appealing--golden and fizzy. It took a few minutes for the white, one-inch head to recede to a thin white sheet of fine bubbles floating atop the brew. When the beer first hit my tongue, I was fooled into thinking I’d have a refreshing, slightly sweet pale lager to enjoy. Brew had a slight bready sweetness on the tip of the tongue, but when it flowed through the rest of my mouth it tasted like I was licking the inside of a wet cardboard box. Mouthfeel was a tad richer than I expected after the initial fizziness of each sip dissipated. I would count the tiny bit of unexpected richness as a plus. Overall, I very much hated this brew and I would definitely never give it a second chance unless I knew the first one I drank was defective or old. I don’t know how I can recommend a beer that smells like skunk and tastes like cardboard. "Never turn your back on your beer."

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Canmoore (327) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 9, 2015
Pours a clear straw colour with a huge white head. Aroma includes notes of apple, pear, and cereals. Tasting notes include apple, and watery malts. The palette is very thin and watery, the finish is similar to tap water.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
StevieT (959) - AUSTRALIA - JAN 6, 2015
From a can. Pours clear amber with a medium head, not much in the way of aroma or flavour for that matter.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
rjplumer (643) - Foxboro, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 22, 2014
Light straw grain aroma. Faint whiff of spice I can’t nail down. Crystal clear straw yellow body. Very little if any head to start or finish. Mild bitterness gives way to sweet corn finish. Finish is clean.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
Franzen (386) - SWEDEN - DEC 20, 2014
Mild floral and citrus aroma. Bitterness is a bit metallic and some more maltiness is needed to give balance to the bitterness. It is dry and light but could have done with more carbonation.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
orange_3084 (127) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - DEC 17, 2014
Brilliant straw colour with thick persistent white head. Faint herbal aroma. Thin bodied. Quite dry. Slightly grainy taste. Clean. Looks better than it tastes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bewyder (221) - FRANCE - DEC 16, 2014
La lager japonaise à la meilleure rondeur à mon goût et de celles que je connais, ce qui reste limité en soi.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
BMA (255) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - DEC 7, 2014
Golden color with a small white head. Taste and aroma of hops. Medium body. Not that impressive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
mjik83 (947) - Maastricht, NETHERLANDS - DEC 5, 2014
- Alcoholpercentage van 4,9% - Biertje gedronken destijds dat me niet kon bekoren - Kan me veel lekkerder biertjes voorstellen, maar kan met mijn smaakvoorstelling te maken hebben - Vandaar mijn lage beoordeling ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Svesse (6885) - Hässelby, SWEDEN - NOV 21, 2014
(Bottle, Wagamama, Amsterdam, 22 Aug 2014) Pale golden colour with frothy, white head. Malty, neutral nose with notes of bread, rice and cereal. Malty, clean taste with cereal, bread, rice and a dry finish with low bitterness. Rather thin and dry. Flawless, but quite boring.