overall

RATINGS: 138   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.76   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
This is a classic, American-Style pale ale that displays all of the complex bitterness and aroma from the hops of the Yakima Valley in Washington State. By using a top-fermenting ale yeas strain we bring out the floral and herbal flavor profiles. A clean, malty body is developed from the pale and light caramel malt. ABV 5.4% Bitterness 35 IBU. Contract brewed for Costco by the Gordon Biersch Brewing Company under the brewer name Hopfen Und Malz (for the west coast market) and since mid 2009 by Matt Brewing as "New Yorker Brewing Co." (for the east coast market).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
elihapa (1525) - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - DEC 29, 2009
Bottle. Hmm, not sure where this one was going except for in the trash. But wait, that’s not fair, because the beer is actually drinkable. Yet so is water. There just wasn’t all that much going on – some light herbal hops, soft earthy malt, a watery, slightly minerally finish. There is also some noticeable oxidized flavors, a fair indication that Costco does not even try to achieve optimal storage and handling conditions for their light beers. I don’t know what else to say, you get what you pay for, maybe even an ounce more. But that is all.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
yobdoog (1888) - Woodridge NY, New York, USA - DEC 24, 2009
Light copper color no head. Aroma has light pine hops and light caramel malts. Flavor is metallic bitterness with a lingering metallic flavor. Light caramel malts and bitter hops.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
after4ever (6071) - Brier, Washington, USA - DEC 19, 2009
12 oz. pours slightly hazy medium amber with a half finger tan head. big tangy buttery nose with some pine and cat box. fizzy medium body with caramel, pine, butter, and ammonia. not super pleasant.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
ansermadide (1511) - Kyle, Texas, USA - DEC 14, 2009
Wow... I never thought I’d be rating a beer with the Costco brand label on it. Oh well... that said, my first impression: it poured like a lager. It has an extremely yellowish-tinted orange color and a fastly falling, fine and thin head. Aroma very weak, of lager-like hops. Not bad, just weak. Aroma thin and a little hoppy but with a strange metallic bitter *thing* that hangs out at the tip of the tongue. Very light body. Not a bad beer, just a little weak and weird. But I’ll take what I can get when it’s free.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 30, 2009
I love all things Kirkland and am also a big fan of Costco, but this beer was a genuine let-down. As a craft beer fan, I love hops that really punch you in the face, but as a realistic beer consumer, I also know that a lot of people who drink beer DON’T like this, and as a result there are quite a few more mild mannered beers out there, which is fine. I guess what is disappointing to me about this beer is that the name "pale ale" sort of implies to me that at least some discernible hop presence is contained within the bottle, and I did not find that to be the case here. Much like Bud American Ale, which promised hops and taste and delivered a disappointing blandness, I feel as though this beer is not what it implies. It pours an attractive brassy color, with a pretty nice amount of head. Aroma is biscuity and malty, and not really at all hoppy. Flavor is very mildly hoppy - these beers are relatively new and the one I tried I thought was fresh, but the flavor within reminded me of hops gone bad - like when a super hoppy beer gets old and loses both its hop punch and its balance, becoming a big malt-ball. Mouthfeel was unremarkable. I love Costco, and I am a big fan of their store brand (Kirkland), but that respect does not extend to their beer. I cannot in good faith recommend this to anyone.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Tmoney99 (10453) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 24, 2009
Bottle from Costco - Cincy. Poured a clear amber color with an average frothy white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate citrus hop aroma. Medium body with a slick texture and soft carbonation. Medium bittersweet flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration. This is an just above average drinkable brew.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
tekhna (118) - California, USA - NOV 15, 2009
Cheap sickly sweet. Some floral hop flavor, almost no aroma. Pretty decent looking though. Not horrible. I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
PorterPounder (5358) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - OCT 19, 2009
Tallahassee, Fl - Costco - 12 oz bottle - part of a 24 bottle variety pak for $18.99 - not a bad deal. Light copper pour with a slight bubbly white head. Aroma has some very brief spruce accents but not much else. Flavor has a slight bitterness with some citrus accents and a touch of mint. Crisp mouthfeel. Overall, average and worth the price and my fridge is full of beer for a few weeks!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
TheBeerGod (5176) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - OCT 18, 2009
Bottle. Amber bodied. Medium, foam white head. Nose is toasted malt, spicy hops, grassy notes, buttered biscuit. taste is more grassy hops, light lemon, soft caramel, fruit, yeast notes and buttered biscuit. Body is light-medium with a strong bubbly carbonation. Ends with a lingering hop bitterness, aspirin-like at times, grapefruit, caramel, buttered biscuit and grassy notes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GodOfThunder (1247) - Orlando, Florida, USA - OCT 16, 2009
Bottle, thanks to Sam at Redlight. As was said just before me, if this was packaged in the German Lager bottle, it would be pretty damn good. But, it is labeled a Pale Ale, and it sucks. Grassy hops and biscuits. Solid, crisp and refreshing. I could drink a lot of this while tailgating or something on a hot day. The only problem is that it isn’t a Pale Ale!